When will we have Doom 3 PDAs?

Of course you could just use a laptop... but seriously...

PDA that:

Emails (wireless)
Internet (wireless)
Records Audio
Plays Audio
Plays Video

The last time I looked at a PDA was when they were still monochrome... so perhaps we already have something like this and I am just out of the loop.

It seems more and more phones are trying to get PDA functions, (email, picture), but IMHO, it's still not very useful. I'd prefer a PDA that can be a phone, over a phone that tries to be a PDA.

However just to clarify and avoid flames, though being smart about desktop computers, I know very little about mobile computing, and I may have spilled off a lot of nonsense. ;)

My old jornada does most of that the new IPAQ's for less than 3 hundred are wireless play video are mp3 players. If you look at the PDA's in Japan they are virtualy as powerful as the laptops of the late 1990's

MLF said:
My old jornada does most of that the new IPAQ's for less than 3 hundred are wireless play video are mp3 players. If you look at the PDA's in Japan they are virtualy as powerful as the laptops of the late 1990's

Thanks for the reply. I checked IPAQs @ newegg and they have an "international" version for $500+... it has 128Mb of RAM, seems pretty nice, but a little pricey.
Perhaps by this holiday season prices will have dropped.

I'll need to find a review or two...

I don't really like to think of the D3 PDAs as the PDAs we have today. They are huge, more like tablet PCs.

blindrocket said:

PDA that:

Emails (wireless)
Internet (wireless)
Records Audio
Plays Audio
Plays Video
We're already there man. Go out to bestbuy or frys or any computer store and look at the high end pdas.

Im tapping on my X5 right now and I know it can
Emails (wireless) - Very easily fast
Internet (wireless) - Great for WAP compatible sites but >:eek: [h]ard doesn't support it do you know how long it took to load?! more cpu than bandwith issue. (Really is there a Pocket PC compatible version of Hard?)
Records Audio - Wav or mp3?
Plays Audio - I can stream shoutcast, windows media including TV (dont expect too much)
Plays Video - sure long as its around 320x240 at lower fps you can rip dvds to your flash memory and watch

D3 well there is pocket quake last check ran at 5fps.... When D3 is obsolete then its possible

Great, thanks for the replies.

I was curious though, I understand home and work wireless networks and being able to access them with this, but what about checking your email while on the road, or surfing the net at the movie theatre while you are waiting for it to start?

I know cell phones can do it, but what about the PDAs?

The PDA's are not yet capable of wireless other than where their are hotspots or free access points. However their are some PDA/Phone combinations available althought rather expesive that can surf anywhere. Rather expensive is 500$+ Here is a link to a 299$ Ipaq I was talking about.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=610157&CatId=228 In the future as new wireless standards come on line their is going to be a 30 mile range wireless standard. At present some areas have wireless coverage that is for instance county or city wide, this is only available through a wireless internet provider usually the local phone company or cable internet company. I know Verizon and a Cable company local to my area of Pennsylvania have internet services that are wireless and cover the whole county.

blindrocket said:

PDA that:

Emails (wireless)
Internet (wireless)
Records Audio
Plays Audio
Plays Video

My Ipaq H2210 does all that :)

Watching Simpsons episodes from my bed via Wifi to my server <3

my h4355 does all of that, and I also watch movies from my bed on my pda throuh my server.

Back