When will PC users get LED LCDS?

Hanif

Limp Gawd
Waiting on buying a PC till these new LED displays come out, when will it?

SANLED_610x395.JPG
look at that sexy ness

there are a few LED LCDs that are out now (e.g. IBM, Dell) but none of them look as cool as the Samsung P2370L which is pictured above. It was rumored to be shipped in late Q1 which wasn't true at all. Someone mentioned that they spoke with Samsung who said it would most likely be shipped late May early June.

They are all TN panels though and they are use LED back light units, not an LED matrix. There is a very expensive Samsung model that uses LED matrix.

LED is nothing special as far as image quality is concerned. The film still dictates the over all quality.

The new Apple 24" Cinema Display is LED with IPS film, but even LED screens still have issues with uniformity.

vick1000 thanks for your post I guess it really benefits in terms of brightness and power savings

so, can u recommend a $200 panel (CAD) to be used for gaming and browsing?

LED main advantage may be in the power efficiency department which is less a concern for desktops (vs laptops).
LED may also provide a larger color gamut but this feature is controversial due to over saturation issues.

vick1000 thanks for your post I guess it really benefits in terms of brightness and power savings

so, can u recommend a $200 panel (CAD) to be used for gaming and browsing?

Pretty much anything you get for that price is going to be a budget unit. So my best advice is to purchase local from retailers with good return policies, so you can cycle through several units without paying restocking fees, until you get one you can live with.

For my personal preference, the least expensive unit I would try is the Dell 2209wa, which is $369 CAD right now.

I went for this
SAMSUNG 2243SWX 21.5" WIDE BLK 1920X1080 15000:1(D/C) 5MS DUAL-INPUTS SWIVEL-STAND 16:9 (2243SWX)

at $208 CAD

On second thought, the Dell 2209wa was on sale in April at dell.ca for $189 CA. Damn, i missed it! I'll try to get it used...

RGB LED backlight display will have better/more colors than any LCD currently on the market.

Improvements in durability and less or no color change over time are going to be very welcome, whether or not they come with any dramatic improvements in color rendition.

Clearly the edge lit models beyond the smallest models are likely to have poor screen uniformity and should be avoided in 24"+ sizes. But it won't be long till we see white LED matrix models like the Apple 24" and there will be many happy buyers I'm sure. The ones to take the longest are going to be the larger sizes that typically target pro's and thus the RGB (very pricey) models are likely to be the only LED backlit models for a while. That's sad, because the non-pro users of 27-30" monitors are numerous and would be well served by a white LED matrix backlight.

This changeover brings lower heat, better quality control (more predictable spectrum emissions from LED's at the factory calibration level), more durability and lower change of color over time. Even for those who calibrate monitors themselves, this means longer periods of time between calibration sessions.

All some very useful stuff that I'm very much looking forward to. Sadly I have to wait the longest since I'm hoping for a 30" LED backlit that is white led (cost savings and non pro use) based.

Next year or two should be interesting.

I know it is edge LED, but I wonder if the new Samsung 32" UN32B6000 coming out in June will be a good option for PC folks?

Hopefully Computex in June will have some RGB LED backlit goodness for us! :D

I know it is edge LED, but I wonder if the new Samsung 32" UN32B6000 coming out in June will be a good option for PC folks?

Hopefully Computex in June will have some RGB LED backlit goodness for us! :D

Samsung 32" UN32B6000 = 1080P 120hz LED = WOW

I'd sell my 32" Panasonic 120Hz In Plane Switching (IPS) LCD panel for this! Whats the retail price like and is it IPS?

Update: Argh, its $1599 gotta wait till the price lowers....might take a year though

I do not think it is IPS and the folks at AVSForum do no seem to like edge white LED.

The best HDTV for PCs seems to be LG's 32LH30 model (or whatever size you want) from what I have read. I am not so sure the Samsung would have all the calibration tweaks the LG has, but the LG is not LED =/

HP's DreamColor seems to be the best PC RGB backlit LED monitor thus far (it is H-IPS).

Awesome, some of the monitors mentioned to be released or expected to be released look awesome, but I have to agree with most everybody else, it's just too much cash. Gotta wait for the cost to come down substantially on the IPS variant of LEDs, assuming something better doesn't come along in the process, fingers crossed and eyes glossed.

this will be a nice bridge technology until we get oled mainstream... i think its pretty certain we be using oled around 2020, but thats still more then a decade away

Samsung 32" UN32B6000 = 1080P 120hz LED = WOW

Update: Argh, its $1599 gotta wait till the price lowers....might take a year though

The 55" incher is beautiful .... mmm I want to touch the giraffe (madagascar was playing on the set @ Frys)

Back