When will 10 Gigabit over ethernet Cat 6E be affordable like 1 Gigabit...

wasserkool

Limp Gawd
It seems that we are dealing with larger and larger amount of data, huge files of high-def movie that even 1 Gigabit network seems slow. For my new house, I really really wanted 10 Gigabit but the cheapest switch I can find is $7000 from SMC lol..

Man I really wish networking can progress as fast as CPUs and make 10 Gigabit more affordable and common. Imagine getting a 10 gigabit switch for $200 and all mobos come with integrated 10 Gigabit port.

It seems that we moved much faster from 10 mbit - > 100 mbit -> 1000 mbit on the home level but now it seems to have stalled...

anyone wants to add in something?

And what benefit will that bring? Nothing on the home end will even come close to saturating 10 gig ethernet.

Soz to point out the obvious, it will become more affordable once 10Gbit is mainstream :)
I dont have a hard drive, array or internet connection that can sustain anywhere near 1Gbit so there isnt a need for me to have 10gbit.

Uhh, you can send stuff from memory, you can be sending the same data to multiple clients, and you're not going to reach theoretical limits of a link anyway. 1Gbps connections in the home are sufficient enough but they are not impossible to surpass with current consumer hardware. That said, I think it will take a while before it gets fairly cheap.

Also, it's CAT-6A

Have fun transfering shit at 70MB/s. It may not be the full rated speed of Gbit, but its certainly saturating all the but fastest HDD write speeds, and most read speeds as well.

10Gbit is for backbone setups only at this point, theres nothing you can do at home thats going to saturate a Gbit for more than a few minutes anyway.

most hardware you buy may say gigabit but it is only theoretical. you cant techincially use cat5e for gigabit, but mathwise its not. you end up using all 8 wires and max the throughput somewhere around 450-500 mbps (NOT MB/s) people get soooo confused. im not sure on the max throughput for cat6 is, but im guessing youd be lucky as hell to even reach 1500,but that assumes all the network cards would actually work at that speed.

most hardware you buy may say gigabit but it is only theoretical. you cant techincially use cat5e for gigabit, but mathwise its not. you end up using all 8 wires and max the throughput somewhere around 450-500 mbps (NOT MB/s) people get soooo confused. im not sure on the max throughput for cat6 is, but im guessing youd be lucky as hell to even reach 1500,but that assumes all the network cards would actually work at that speed.

What? I use Cat5e for our gigabit iscsi SAN at work and push upwards of 90MB/s (720mbit).

What? I use Cat5e for our gigabit iscsi SAN at work and push upwards of 90MB/s (720mbit).

Short lengths of the cable can sustain higher speeds without error due to lower capacitive and inductive effects.
I dont know if you are using short lengths but it makes sense if you are.

Short lengths of the cable can sustain higher speeds without error due to lower capacitive and inductive effects.
I dont know if you are using short lengths but it makes sense if you are.

I use 25 feet, but it's certainly rated at a gigabit for longer runs.
The principal difference between Category 5 and Category 5e is that the standard for Category 5e includes performance requirements for return loss and ELFEXT and performance enhancements to Category 5 which will result in additional margin over the worst case 1000BASE-T link requirements.

you cant techincially use cat5e for gigabit, but mathwise its not. you end up using all 8 wires and max the throughput somewhere around 450-500 mbps (NOT MB/s) people get soooo confused.

Fast Ethernet (100BASE-TX) achieves 100 Mbps operation by sending three-level binary encoded symbols
across the link at 125 Mbaud. (A 125 Mbaud symbol rate is required because 100BASE-TX uses 4B/5B coding.)
100BASE-TX uses two pairs: one for transmit, one for receive. The next step up in speed, 1000BASE-T also
uses a symbol rate of 125 Mbaud, but it uses all four pairs for the link and a more sophisticated five-level
coding scheme. In addition, 1000BASE-T sends and receives simultaneously on each pair. Combining 5-level
coding and 4 pairs allows 1000BASE-T to send one byte in parallel at each signal pulse. 4 (pairs) X 125
Msymbols/second X 2 bits/symbol = 1Gbps. Of course, it isn’t quite this simple. In addition to moving the
symbols across the link, 1000BASE-T must also deal with the effects of insertion loss and link-induced interference caused
by echo and crosstalk.

http://www.10gea.org/1000base-t.htm

What we see most often in the lab as a limiting factor in network speed is usually the host or target's ability to DMA data into (or out of) memory. There are a number of things that affect this. Depending on the hardware, I've seen both 1GbE and 10GbE run at "wire" speed (full theoretical speed) for extended periods of time.

Let me know just how you're saturating a 1Gbps link in a home environment. I'd love to know.

I saturate a quad gig teamed nic without a problem.

When you have file servers like I do at home and even at work, gigabit is like waiting for molasses to move.

I've already been shopping around for 10gb nics, right now their prices are reasonable, about $800 per nic

Back