• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

When overclocking, could a SCSI pci controller damage a drive?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,852
The title says it all. If the PCI bus Frequency is accidentally raised...........will a scsi drive connected to pci scsi controller die?
 
I don't think so, I remember running a 29160 on an old BX board (Abit BF6) at 83.3 MHz FSB, giving a 41.7 MHz PCI frequency. Windows booted onto the SCSI drive just fine.
 
Every SCSI controller I've ever worked with had a separate oscillator on board that provided the clock for the actual SCSI bus and related logic within the chip.

Now, you may end up causing some problems with the controller depending on how far you overclock the PCI bus, but the target drives on the other side of the controller will most likely not be affected.

Also, if there is some rare controller out that that I haven't seen that does derive the SCSI clock from the PCI clock, I wouldn't expect that to cause issues either since it is quite possible to plug SCSI devices into buses that run faster than speeds they support. The speed negotiation would simply fail without causing damage to the target drives.
 
Overclocking the PCI bus can damage a PCI device.
If a SCSI card is damaged, its hard to know if the damage can only occur on the PCI side as damaged electronics/silicon can behave in a peculiar fashion.
Its not unfeasible for a drive to be damaged.

I agree though, its not the most likely of failures to occur.
 
Overclocking the PCI bus can damage a PCI device.
If a SCSI card is damaged, its hard to know if the damage can only occur on the PCI side as damaged electronics/silicon can behave in a peculiar fashion.
Its not unfeasible for a drive to be damaged.

I agree though, its not the most likely of failures to occur.

Thats what I'm thinking. Most of the time the only thing you would do if anything would be to corrupt data.
 
Back
Top