When OSX 10.4 comes

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Will the current line of Macs come with it? If so, will it be the day after it launches (if you buy them from the apple store)? I want to buy an ibook and I am thinking maybe I should wait a few months. I have somewhat been following the development of 10.4 and it has some really cool features in it that may be worth waiting a few months. If I will have to wait for the next ibooks and it will only be offered at a $130 upgrade software package, then I guess there is no need to wait.

as far as i can remember...

as soon as they release the new version of OSX and ship it to stores to sell, it will come with new computers as well

shocksyde said:
as far as i can remember...

as soon as they release the new version of OSX and ship it to stores to sell, it will come with new computers as well

Yes, that's how it usually is.

Well that is good news. Has anyone heard anything about a definite date or speculation of 10.4 (Tiger?)? Last I heard Steve Jobs said Either Q2 or H1 of this year. I am also eying another PC laptop. The reason I do not want to buy if MAC is because of this very reason. I will miss out on (free) 10.4 by a few months but I really need a laptop ASAP (which means in order to get 10.4, it will cost me another $130).

Tiger will be awesome, yes, but Panther is also really good... so if you really need a laptop, don't let the fact that you won't get Tiger for free stop you from buying a Mac.

As per the release date of 10.4 it is only speculation.

But, keep this in mind, there is still one more update to be had to 10.3 (10.3.8)

That release is still another month away. I would say expect a July-Sept release of 10.4.

According to some rumors, it's supposed to be first half '05, with many speculating on Q2. Of course, for the time being, I'm sort of talking out of my ass since I'm just regurgitating what I've heard from others.

Are updates freely available for download within a certain "flavor" of OS X? I.e., when I order a Mini in a couple weeks can I freely download 10.3.8? I'm assuming I'll have to buy Tiger for another $100+. How often does Apple release new versions? I don't want to have to shell out $110 or so every six months to keep up to date and it seems that many apps require the latest or next-to-latest release of the OS (Safari, for example).

init6 said:
Are updates freely available for download within a certain "flavor" of OS X? I.e., when I order a Mini in a couple weeks can I freely download 10.3.8? I'm assuming I'll have to buy Tiger for another $100+. How often does Apple release new versions? I don't want to have to shell out $110 or so every six months to keep up to date and it seems that many apps require the latest or next-to-latest release of the OS (Safari, for example).
Yes updates from 10.3 to 10.3.8 are free.
I'm not sure how often Apple relases major new versions but I think it's around every 2 years. They are rarely revolutionary versions (like OS9 to OSX).

And Safari is only required to run with 10.3 because Apple is making you buy 10.3 if you want to run Safari ;)

Not entirely true. Safari works in 10.2.

10.3 came out in October of 2003.

All OS updates within that version are free. (i.e. 10.1-10.5, 10.2-10.2.8, 10.3-10.3.8)

With 10.3.8 still looming, there is no way 10.4 gets released before June. For that Q2 release is highly unlikely. But, with anything else, this is all purely speculation. Just my opinion.

Panther is a fine OS as is. Even when Tiger gets released it's a good idea (IMHO) to wait a month, or two, after release to get it... just to see if any bugs are found.

Having a Mac mini with a paltry Radeon 9200 is going to be a good reason to wait on Tiger anyhow, isn't it? Anand expressed some concern about that in his review of the mini. While I doubt there will be anything on Tiger that I can't live without (since I've lived without OS X so far) and I'm looking at a Powerbook for this summer. With the GUI being totally GPU-controlled, upgrading the RAM in a mini doesn't seem like it'd do anything and mine will arrive with 512MB anyhow.

as to the question on what OS will come with a unit when a new version of the OS is announced....well it will NOT be the new version...what happens is in production they image all the units with the same image and have to rebuild the image for the new version but they can only do that AFTER the OS has been released....there is usually about a 30 day gap between when the OS is released and the new image is built and installed on the new units...as such there are comps that are being produced with the older OS...what does Apple do about this....offer a $20 upgrade to the new version ** IF ** the computer was purchased ** AFTER ** the release of the OS...as for when...the official word is first half of '05 so we still have a little waiting time to go

will you be able to download for free tiger for 10.3?

tiger is 10.4 and will not be a free download...it will be a purchase just like going from 10.1 -> 10.2 -> 10.3

I work for a fairly large Apple reseller and when new software comes out we get flat packs to put in with our current inventory to bring them up to date. That was how it was with 10.3 and iLife '05 at least.

olaf2821 said:
I work for a fairly large Apple reseller and when new software comes out we get flat packs to put in with our current inventory to bring them up to date. That was how it was with 10.3 and iLife '05 at least.

for a reseller that could be but there are always units in the queue (so to speak) that won't have the updated sw or have the update put in the box either

im going to be buying a mini in the next few months.... income tax maybe?.... should i wait till tiger? whats going to be improved with it? whats so special...? is there any news mini rumors? or anyhting... im kinda new to mac's (only used them in school) im def looking to get one.. the mini is a perfect "starter" i guess...i would get a g5 if i had the money though... used them in school... ughhh sooo sweet

Well, Tiger integrates everything into everything, so let your imagination portray the greatness of tiger.
Why do they want you to have a Radeon 9600 pro or later? because everything has pixel shaders, if you watched that keynote you know what I'm talking about

illgiveumorality said:
Well, Tiger integrates everything into everything, so let your imagination portray the greatness of tiger.
Why do they want you to have a Radeon 9600 pro or later? because everything has pixel shaders, if you watched that keynote you know what I'm talking about
link?

They removed the required card list, but I think it needs ARB_fragment_program or whatever the hell it's called to do those nifty special effects on the GPU. Otherwise it simply does window drawing and such on the GPU, just like now but better, essentially, and the special effects on Velocity Engine if possible.

Back