When networks go bad!

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. I'm having a problem with streaming movies from my pc (XP service pack 1) to my xbox running XBMC. Here's the deal.

I've been using my pc as a file server for XBMC. Everything was working fine. I could stream without a single hitch.

Then i go and buy a wireless adapter so i could play online with my PSP. Installed the card and after reading a 'how-to guide' about setting up the pc and psp for online play, i ran the home network wizard. It detected all my devices and things were looking good. At first. The internet was working fine. but i couldnt stream movies to my xbox anymore. The connection seems to timeout in XBMC. (My Xbox is connected with a crossover cable to an NIC in my PC by the way.)

Next thing i did was unbridge the connections. That didnt solve anything. So i deleted the connection and re-installed the network card. Still nothing. I re-installed the streaming software (CCXstreamGUI v1.41). Everything is setup correctly but i cant stream anything anymore.

I'm stumped. No idea what to do.

The last thing i want to do is have to re-format, so is there anyway of restoring my connections? (I dont use the system restore feature in XP)

For instance completely deleting the network and starting from scratch?

Dont know how to do it. Looked on google but every tutorial is about setting up a new network. Not getting rid of a bad one.

Just guessing here... Is the firewall enabled by any chance on the NIC going to the XBox?

I have zonealarm but the nic is in the trusted zone. It worked fine with the firewall before i messed things up. I've checked all the settings and there isnt a problem with them. I even tried un-installing the firewall to make sure. Still no luck. :confused:

Just a thought... when you set up your router, did you check to see if the XBOX and PSP weren't taking the same DHCP address

I dont have a router. I just use the 2 NIC method. With my cable modem plugged into one card on the pc and the xbox plugged into the other.

hmmmmmmmmm

wait, you dont have a router? but you have a wireless adapter?

i need to re-read your post :)

Ok. I've sorted the problem. YAY!!!!

I must have messed up the ICS settings because windows was not giving a valid IP address to my NIC (0.0.0.0) which was a bit on the wrong side. Anyway, after hours of pulling my hair out I just set up ICS again and it reset the I.P to my NIC (192.168.0.1) back to what it had been. Works perfectly again.

Just bridged the wireless adapter to the same group and everything works great.

Cant believe it was that bloody simple to sort. Its embarrassing how long it took :eek:

Cheers guys.

Back