When is Windows 10 going to be available?

Bugalaman

Really a Ugandachick
It seems like everyone has Windows 10. It was released in July. My stupid fucking Windows 10 upgrade app in Windows 8 says to wait. I've been waiting for a month and a half. What is Microsoft waiting for? How in the blue fuck does everyone have it but me? Forgive me if this was asked before, but there wasn't anything in the first 5 pages of this forum.

I don't think it's available yet on my HTPC either. Why the hell did Microsoft even bother with that crap.

I have the same problem on my Dell laptop. It says Win 10 has been reserved and they will notify me. I tried running the media creation tool and created a usb stick. That worked great on my desktop. But when I run it on my laptop I get no upgrade option. I only get an install option. When I run that it asks for the license key and when I type that in it says it is not valid and try another key. I've given up upgrading the laptop for now.

Just a guess but I think the OEMs have to sign off on it before it becomes available.

All 7 machines in our house have it available, I tried it on my HP laptop but it was a no go since the drivers don't work. My Laptop has dual GPU's and the latest catalyst driver doesn't install properly, it will load a driver for the low power GPU but not for the Performance GPU.
Installed Win 10 2 times on this laptop, the second time I tried a suggestion from a member to use an app that scans the hardware and grabs the appropriate driver, but that also didn't work as it grabbed the same GPU drivers that I downloaded myself.

hp-laptop-win10.jpg

I just did my laptop. Its a cheap lenovo circa 2012. Its pure amd too. Seems like all the drivers work except the lenovo bloatware. After that, I just did a clean install and it activated itself. I am guessing there are major drivers not available for your hardware. That is why windows is holding your upgrade.

I have the same problem on my Dell laptop. It says Win 10 has been reserved and they will notify me. I tried running the media creation tool and created a usb stick. That worked great on my desktop. But when I run it on my laptop I get no upgrade option. I only get an install option. When I run that it asks for the license key and when I type that in it says it is not valid and try another key. I've given up upgrading the laptop for now.

You used the wrong installation media for you laptop. I did that on a machine and it asked me for a key as well before I realized I was using the wrong installation media.

You used the wrong installation media for you laptop. I did that on a machine and it asked me for a key as well before I realized I was using the wrong installation media.

What do you mean? Do I have to create the USB stick on the machine I want to upgrade for it to work? I created the USB stick on my PC at work and then used it on my home PC and it worked fine. Or is that not what you mean?

What do you mean? Do I have to create the USB stick on the machine I want to upgrade for it to work? I created the USB stick on my PC at work and then used it on my home PC and it worked fine. Or is that not what you mean?

No, it is just that the usb stick you create is specific to the type, 64 bit, 32 bit, Home, Pro, that sort of thing. The media creation tool does not create an installation media that can be used on all machines generically.

No, it is just that the usb stick you create is specific to the type, 64 bit, 32 bit, Home, Pro, that sort of thing. The media creation tool does not create an installation media that can be used on all machines generically.

Oh ok. I'll have to try to recreate it on the laptop and see if it works. Thanks.

I've seen some OEM GPU's require custom drivers that you can only download from the manufacturer.

HP doesn't even offer Windows 8 Drivers for this machine. All they have are Windows 7 drivers.

My experience with Windows in general is that if you want to upgrade, you want to upgrade using setup.exe from within Windows. If you want to do a clean install, you want to boot from install media. I know there have been times when I've tried to upgrade by booting to install media and had it ask me run setup in Windows.

The Get Windows 10 application is also the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor program. I would be curious if you click the three bars in the top left of the Get Windows 10 app then click Check your PC, does it report any issues?

Windows 10 has not had great press about drivers. Windows Update automatically installs drivers for you, which has replaced drivers that worked with their hardware to drivers that don't work for their hardware for some users. In other versions of Windows, you might try previous version drivers to see if they work. In this version, Windows Update may update those drivers anyway.

If you're concerned about which edition of Windows 10 to get, check the version of Windows 7 you have and match it. Click Start, right-click Computer and click Properties. Look for Home\Professional and 32-bit/64-bit Operating System.

Microsoft says if you have one near you, the Microsoft Store has free upgrade resources (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows). I have no clue what the upgrade services look like though.

Back