When is Service Pack 1 coming out?

Ladic

[H]ard|Gawd
how long was it for XP after SP1 came out? and when will it come out for vista?

I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard it will be released sometime between late October and early January... but as I said, that is just what I have heard through the rumor mill... so take that for what it's worth...

Vista just came out, and is fine in its current form. A service pack is neither necessary at the moment, nor is there one on the horizon.

Quite honestly, the SP1 isn't going to include much. Vista has been so well thought out there just isn't much to improve on.
The whole "wait for SP1" approach really doesn't matter in Vista anymore.

But it's widely accepted that SP1 is shipping with Server Longhorn, this fall.

Vista just came out, and is fine in its current form. A service pack is neither necessary at the moment, nor is there one on the horizon.

While it may be fine in its current form (a sentiment I agree with but is subject to debate), a service pack is on the horizon.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=208

According to an MS e-mail sent out to the Technology Adaption Program, release for Vista SP1 is due in the second half of the year.

Quite honestly, the SP1 isn't going to include much. Vista has been so well thought out there just isn't much to improve on.
The whole "wait for SP1" approach really doesn't matter in Vista anymore.

But it's widely accepted that SP1 is shipping with Server Longhorn, this fall.

Accepted and publicly acknowledged by MS. (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2060798,00.asp) From an interview with MS senior VP for server and tools:

Is the plan to have Longhorn Server and Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) ship at the same time next year?

That's the plan, to ship Longhorn and Vista SP1 simultaneously as it's one source code base. So, if you follow that model, you have to ship them both at roughly the same time. This time we had more integration to do post-Vista ship than we had hoped we would have, but we'll see how this plays out next time.

I will give MS Credit for hitting my computer with updates on average once a day for new things. Must faster turn around time on fixes and patches. Still not hours but definately down to 1-2 days vs. weeks before.

I will give MS Credit for hitting my computer with updates on average once a day for new things. Must faster turn around time on fixes and patches. Still not hours but definately down to 1-2 days vs. weeks before.

Man, I have to agree with that. I think it was either 3 or 4 days they fixed the cursor flaw in IE. Whereas in that Symantec report, on average it takes Apple 66 days (I'm just saying- Microsoft is doing really really well on getting things fixed compared to other OS out there (Linux had a 55 day average fix)).

Back