When is next gen graphics cards out?

Dose anybody think that the industry has shifted focus on the next generation consoles for the duration of this year and we should not count on seeing any new GPU's from either party this year?

Let me rephrase; we the consumer or at least most of us are more interested in seeing the upcoming consoles ps4 and xbox 720 (rumor) more so then the next iteration of gpus this year.

AMD happens to be powering the ps4 and xbox so why would they be focused on releasing a 8000 series gpu this year?

Regardless of when the next gpu's come out, we will continue to get console games ported to the pc.

Let me rephrase; we the consumer or at least most of us are more interested in seeing the upcoming consoles ps4 and xbox 720 (rumor) more so then the next iteration of gpus this year.

AMD happens to be powering the ps4 and xbox so why would they be focused on releasing a 8000 series gpu this year?

Regardless of when the next gpu's come out, we will continue to get console games ported to the pc.

While I agree this is probably a primary focus - consumers here are unlikely more excited/interested about a console release than something we can throw in our computers.

Also every single game I play is not, and likely will never be on consoles.

Agreed . . .

While I agree this is probably a primary focus - consumers here are unlikely more excited/interested about a console release than something we can throw in our computers.

Also every single game I play is not, and likely will never be on consoles.
Although I'm also one of those people more excited about computer parts, it's still true that the console release has to come first so devs know what to program for, which determines how much horsepower new GPUs will need.

Hell, that's probably better for me since I really gotta stop buying and upgrading GPUs when I'm still playing games from 2 or 3 years ago. New, shiny stuff just makes you wanna buy it, y'know?

Well like i said in the other thread, both AMD and Nvidia are waiting on TSMC for a economically viable 20nm process, until that happens we won't really get new chips.

Well, we will get new chips, they just won't be more than 20-40% faster (unless someone wants to let TDPs explode). They will also come with higher clocks (more power) and/or larger die size.

The 7790 is an example of this: larger die size allows AMD to offer 30-40% more performance at almost the same power level. And although the die size is increased, the costs should not be that bad due to the mature process. Expect a similar refresh from Nvidia in 2014.

Back