• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

When is Intel ending i7 920 production

Sherloc

Gawd
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
667
I'm wondering this because i'm building a new rig here in a month or so and my local microcenter has only 14 left in stock. Should i expect them to get another shipment before xmas?
 
I'm wondering this because i'm building a new rig here in a month or so and my local microcenter has only 14 left in stock. Should i expect them to get another shipment before xmas?

I was posting in an early i5 thread about how MC ran out of the 920's. However, the next week, they were restocked by Tuesday/Wednesday...so I would expect them to keep restocking for a while.
 
Either way it can't hurt to get the i7 now if it is at $200 because I seriously doubt it will ever go lower.
 
MC sells the 920's at a cost loss to entice you into the store so you buy other items where they can make the money.

At $200 you'd be stupid not to go the i7 920 route if you have a brick & mortar Microcenter nearby, but it is not an every day normal retail occurance.
 
i7 will probably reach its peak end of the year, followed by a slow downward slope next year and the middle of the 2 1/2 life span something "new" will pop up via AMD or Intel and at the end of its 3rd year it will probably be "old-tech."

However, my Q6600 is still kicking and I see nothing worthwhile to replace it with, nor do I really have the cash either. :p


Just my thoughts.

So, yes. You'll see more i7 for some time.
 
I want your opinion guys, I have a 920 CO does 4GHZ everyday but takes 1.4v`s to do it. Should I buy one of these D0 $200 920`s or should I hold out and just get i9?
 
You're not losing much (apart from e-peen) if you drop it to 3.9Ghz and can dramatically reduce vcore. Definitely not worth buying a D0 just to eek out another 100-300Mhz though. That money is better spent on GPU upgrades.
 
I want your opinion guys, I have a 920 CO does 4GHZ everyday but takes 1.4v`s to do it. Should I buy one of these D0 $200 920`s or should I hold out and just get i9?
really?
I have a CO and I am still @ 1.2v w/ 3.8Ghz.
Does it really require 200mV for an extra 200Mhz? I never pushed it that hard because of my mediocre Zalman 9500A

Here is an old screenshot of beck in march when I was running 3.7ghz under the same voltage.
What kind of volts does the D0 need to run 4ghz stable?

:::
i7920.jpg
 
Last edited:
I bought my 920 in November of last year. It was one of the very first production runs so it takes more volts than most. I will wait I guess till i9 comes out and see how well they OC.
 
Here is an old screenshot of beck in march when I was running 3.7ghz under the same voltage.
What kind of volts does the D0 need to run 4ghz stable?

you'd probably be safe disabling the system pagefile; i noticed a huge difference when doing so on 6GB...
 
Back
Top