When In Doubt, Remove The Shim

jmcmike

Limp Gawd
OK, so I hmm'd and haw'd about it long enough. I removed the shim from my 9800 Pro. I figured since I already modifed it with a VGA Silencer and ramsinks, I already voided the warranty. I wasn't so sure that I was getting good contact between the Silencer and the core and boy was I right. My 100% stable core OC went from 425 to 437.

I tried to use dental floss but it kept fraying and breaking. So I very carefully sliced it off with a razor blade.

Anyway, I got a new digicam today so here are the pics:

2004-01-19-9800-Pro-RemoveShim01.jpg

On the cutting board...

2004-01-19-9800-Pro-RemoveShim02.jpg

[H]ard Attitude: 1, Shim: 0

2004-01-19-9800-Pro-RemoveShim03.jpg

Ahh, nice to see a gap...

2004-01-19-9800-Pro-VGASilencer-4.jpg

Ain't she pretty?

Next on the hit list, mounting a 60mm fan over the Silencer intake.

Nice job, looks simple and clean. This is on my list about a week from now, my 9800 Pro is due tommorow. a week of stock game testing to make sure its a good card. Then the same mods as seen here.

Aye mate, tis looking good. My herc had the correct amount of spacing with the shim on, so I left it on and applied a liberal amount of AS3. Hasn't bitched even at these clocks speeds, so I know its working.

superexhaust.jpg

Icewindius it looks like your heatsink on your cpu matches the heatsinks on your card. Good choice!

Those Herc cards look to be really good! How hard is it to remove the shim? Honestly I would be alittle afraid of hitting something and not being able to boot.:(
Although I'm going to try it once I get a new card.

At the time *October*, my card was brand new, so I didn't dare screwing up taking off the shim, so I left it be.

It really isn't difficult to remove the shim, but you're sure to sweat bullets during the process anyway, especially if you're using a razor or knife. I worked it through very carefully. One slip could easily cut into one of the components on the GPU base (what are they? resistors?)

Thanks but I don't think I deserve that much really.:p No matter how much I try to clean up my cables it still ends up looking lame. If those rounded cables weren't so expensive I'd run some of them.

It really isn't difficult to remove the shim, but you're sure to sweat bullets during the process anyway, especially if you're using a razor or knife. I worked it through very carefully. One slip could easily cut into one of the components on the GPU base (what are they? resistors?)

The bumps are resistors, but the small tiny lines are traces that carry power, data and instructions. Fudge just one of those up and bye bye video card. Hence why I didn't dare take mine off.

Originally posted by jmcmike
OK, so I hmm'd and haw'd about it long enough. I removed the shim from my 9800 Pro. I figured since I already modifed it with a VGA Silencer and ramsinks, I already voided the warranty. I wasn't so sure that I was getting good contact between the Silencer and the core and boy was I right. My 100% stable core OC went from 425 to 437.

I tried to use dental floss but it kept fraying and breaking. So I very carefully sliced it off with a razor blade.

On the cutting board...

Ain't she pretty?

Why do that to a 300$ video card?

I mean boy what a difference 12 Mhz more on the core??? What is that in percentage? 2,5 % approx?? And in game difference in performance is even smaller than that.

All you had to do was making up for the gap with more thermal paste. Agree not as efficient as being able to use a thin layer but as you noticed there is no real big difference that makes it worth while.

I understand why you did it though. It´s very easy going in an modding frenzy when you well have started with it. I myself was this close doing the same thing to my Crucial 9700 PRO until I came to my senses and got a grip on myself.

It´s very easy to damage the videocard by removing the shim with a razor or whatever. And yes you are right that you already had voided the warranty but more of a reason to keep the video card intact then since you can´t RMA it :)

But this is on my useless mod list really. Sure temps do go down and you get a 1-2 % performance increase maximum but is it worth the risk? The shim is probably there for a reason.

Imagine breaking a videocard for a 1-2 % performance increase?? I am quite sure there are several in here that have killed a video card this way.

On the cutting board...

Ain't she pretty?

Dude don't you know the shim is low then the core on the 9800 pros...... Its on mine and my friends I got BB ATI.

Originally posted by xSteathx
Dude don't you know the shim is low then the core on the 9800 pros...... Its on mine and my friends I got BB ATI.
Dude, it wasn't on this one. I could put a razor across it and depending on where I put it, I would hit the shim. They weren't level w/ each other.

Originally posted by oqvist

I mean boy what a difference 12 Mhz more on the core??? What is that in percentage? 2,5 % approx?? And in game difference in performance is even smaller than that.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I cross post this [O]ldLadies|Forum? My bad.

Seriously though. Look around you. Do really need to ask why? :D

Why do people put bigger exhaust system on cars?

Why put on bigger heads on a V8?

Why put a DVD player system in a car?

Why put on nicer siding and landscaping on your house?

Because people LIKE and WANT to. Not because they HAVE to, its just nice to have something beyond the ordinary, even though it may not bring anything better out of it.

Overclockers are a breed of people just demand every ounce of performance out of our computers.i Were willing to put extra money into cooling components to get there, to modify our cases, cooling and style wise to have our computer represent ourselves and our interests. Just like the rice rockets in LA express themselves via their cars that are TOTALLY non stock and unlike any other car in the world, we do the same to our computers

Its a hobby that we love and enjoy as much as the person next door who rips apart old cars and rebuilds them for shows and stuff or the lady who loves to landscape here lawn into a special tranquil garden with extra flowers, water falls, bird paths ect...

Its called a fucking hobby, everyone has one.

So I ask you, why freaking not?

The next time you think about running your mouth to shoot down someone for something they enjoy, run it through that immature brain of yours.

Dude, it wasn't on this one. I could put a razor across it and depending on where I put it, I would hit the shim. They weren't level w/ each other.
DUDE

Originally posted by Icewindius
Why do people put bigger exhaust system on cars?

Because it doesn´t make the car explode or malfunction.

Why put on bigger heads on a V8?

Because it doesn´t make the car explode or malfunction

Why put a DVD player system in a car?

Why put on nicer siding and landscaping on your house?

Because people LIKE and WANT to. Not because they HAVE to, its just nice to have something beyond the ordinary, even though it may not bring anything better out of it.

Overclockers are a breed of people just demand every ounce of performance out of our computers.i Were willing to put extra money into cooling components to get there, to modify our cases, cooling and style wise to have our computer represent ourselves and our interests. Just like the rice rockets in LA express themselves via their cars that are TOTALLY non stock and unlike any other car in the world, we do the same to our computers

Its a hobby that we love and enjoy as much as the person next door who rips apart old cars and rebuilds them for shows and stuff or the lady who loves to landscape here lawn into a special tranquil garden with extra flowers, water falls, bird paths ect...

Its called a fucking hobby, everyone has one.

So I ask you, why freaking not?

Because it can make your video card explode or malfunction for virtually no gain at all.

The next time you think about running your mouth to shoot down someone for something they enjoy, run it through that immature brain of yours.

I am not trying to shoot down anyone. I said it could very well be me didn´t I? And if he wants to remove the shim fine but I myself wouldn´t recommend it to anyone since the gain is minimal and the risk is large.

Have never said that modding is wrong have I so fucking shill out duuuuuude :p

OK, as the thread starter I think I have the clout to step in and say everyone just chill... :)

I'm not offended by oqvist's comments (well actually the "useless mod list" comment made me feel kinda small but I'll get over it.)

For the record, I don't think this was useless, it did get me another 12 MHz on the core, which works out to be over 3% more above stock and accounts for over 20% of my total core OC. Sure, I'm only getting 15% total over stock speeds but uh, I'm addicted to this stuff OK? I don't think I'm alone...:cool:

OK, as the thread starter I think I have the clout to step in and say everyone just chill... :)

I'm not offended by oqvist's comments (well actually the "useless mod list" comment made me feel kinda small but I'll get over it.)

For the record, I don't think this was useless, it did get me another 12 MHz on the core, which works out to be over 3% more above stock and accounts for over 20% of my total core OC. Sure, I'm only getting 15% total over stock speeds but uh, I'm addicted to this stuff OK? I don't think I'm alone...:cool:

I should maybe have added "useless mod list for the average user" :cool: For those who are after the performance and not the highest overclock available.

But I am the kind of guy that really hates modding but yet I am watercooling, changing heatsinks and everything. Mainly because I am poor and can´t buy performance but have to mod performance. But that also means I can´t afford to kill my system either. But when it´s done it´s nice.

Do it because you like modding, not for the hopefully performance gain I would say

Each to there own i say;) and great mod there as well.Last time i looked this was the [H] forum not the [K]nitting Forum:D

Originally posted by @trapine
Each to there own i say;) and great mod there as well.Last time i looked this was the [H] forum not the [K]nitting Forum:D

Overclocking and Cooling forum is the [H] forum :D

Back