When do you upgrade monitors?

alhava

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
82
Computer hardware will come and go, but a good display will last you years.

When do you find it appropriate to replace otherwise functional screens with newer technology?

My sitch: 2 19" Rosewill 4:3 2ms displays, flanking a 19" dell with similar specs.
resolution 3840x1024

They work just fine, but these new IPS screens look pretty nice. Buying 3 screens is a pricey endeavor though, so what are your thoughts? Would I see a good improvement purchasing 3 -sub $200 IPS screens?
 
I bought a brand new Dell 2005FPW in 2005 to replace an aging heavy, 20" CRT Trinitron. I loved it so much, I bought another one (used) about 2 years ago to match for dual display. Then I started reading about 30" U3011 and 2560x1600 goodness about a year ago, and purchased a refurbed one. I still use all three displays, but they are IPS.

If you do photo work, IPS will definitely help. The input lag I believe for IPS is higher, so if you do FPS gaming you will probably notice a difference.
 
I'd say it's worth the upgrade. IPS and the increased resolution is the main reasons to upgrade imho.
 
Depends what you want it for? FPS games / other games / art work / document work & web browsing?
 
I do a little of all of the above actually, but nothing "professionally" as it were.
Gaming would be my highest priority though.

I think where I'm coming from is that aside from my wife, my desktop PC is my central focus during my leisure hours. I get home from work, and I sit down, and I use it for everything.

I recently got a Mac for my wife, and that thing is gorgeous. I'd really like my PC time to be similarly... vivid.
 
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

This thread is for some gorgeous 27" monitors at a good price with potential 100hz refresh rates.

It's not simple black and white though, you really need to know what you're getting if you decide to go that route. There are multiple models 3 at least, seems to be no warranty. The draw there is that it is a near "Apple Cinema" quality display for less than half the price. Reduced features etc.
 
My first gaming monitor years ago was a 15" crt, then I moved to a 17". Then to a 21" CRT, which I thought was the biggest thing in the world.

Then I moved to a 30" after trying and retuning 24" and 27".

Fuck yeah.
 
Back
Top