When do you think the x800pro will drop to $250?

JediK

Limp Gawd
Do you think it will take until next summer for the x800pro to drop to $250? I would like to pick one of those up sometime, but not at a near $400 price, lol. I'm going to be doing some upgrading soon and will be sticking with the agp for a while now.

JediK said:
Do you think it will take until next summer for the x800pro to drop to $250? I would like to pick one of those up sometime, but not at a near $400 price, lol. I'm going to be doing some upgrading soon and will be sticking with the agp for a while now.
a lot longer then that, the 256mb 9800 is still ~300. and with this new gddr3 stuff etc etc it will take longer for turnarounds.

i think i heard the companys arent doing cards every 6 months or something and just whenever they get a new product ready???? if so a new card might not even be out by next summer so....

You could just buy a Geforce 6600GT, i've heard they can be found cheap. (200$ or less).

sculelos said:
You could just buy a Geforce 6600GT, i've heard they can be found cheap. (200$ or less).

that would be a waste of money since i have a 9800pro.. :eek:

or i might should just switch to a nforce4 setup with a x800xl.. i don't know if i want to spend that much though...

ichbingottderliebe said:
thats from non venders that dont wanna loose profit so are still trying to sell at full price

new egg 9800xt is 340 bucks

And yet, a 6600gt can be had for 200 and outperforms any 9800.. gentlemen, where is the logic? :confused:

Mojo3k70 said:
And yet, a 6600gt can be had for 200 and outperforms any 9800.. gentlemen, where is the logic? :confused:
where did u get it out performs it? for one its 128mb but has gddr3, and those 2 cards are meant to compete agaisnt each other

ichbingottderliebe said:
where did u get it out performs it? for one its 128mb but has gddr3, and those 2 cards are meant to compete agaisnt each other

I give you a review (and from one of the most reliable sources). Link
(in nearly EVERY test, the 6600gt smokes the 9800xt)
Reasons: newer architecture and faster memory.

Yes, this is the pci-e version, but take a peek at the agp version also. The 6600gt still edges the 9800 series out.

Mojo3k70 said:
I give you a review (and from one of the most reliable sources). Link
(in nearly EVERY test, the 6600gt smokes the 9800xt)
Reasons: newer architecture and faster memory.

Yes, this is the pci-e version, but take a peek at the agp version also. The 6600gt still edges the 9800 series out.
but it still isn't a good repacement card- you dont replace a high end card with a midrange card.
faster memory has nothing to do with it btw, even the 9700 pro has more bandwidth, it's because the 6600GT has a much higher multitextureing fillrate.
Btw Far Cry doesn't seem to like the 6600GT's additional multitextureing fillrate(and shader speed?)
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/geforce-6600gtagp/index.x?pg=8
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/geforce-6600gtagp/index.x?pg=9
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp/images/ut1024aaf.gif
UT2004 they're about the same speed
Bottem line- 6600GT is not a worthy upgrade.

I wouldnt expect the X800pro to drop to $250 until the next gen of cards comes out. Probably early summer. I've seen the 9800XT still going for $300 on some sites.

Moloch,

I followed your threads, and I see a different conclusion - the 6600 seems to beat the 9800 Pro pretty much all around. Does it do such a significantly better job than it to cause a 9800 Pro user to want to scrap his card in favor of a 6600? No. But after looking at that report, if I were a new buyer trying to choose between the two (which I am), the answer would be easy. The 6600 wins.

Also, they tested a 256 mb 9800 Pro against the 128 mb 6600 and it still didnt beat it, or even match it consistently. I see from your sig that you are running the 128 mb Pro, so there is a good chance you will see improved performance if you went with nvidia. But I suspect you have a preference for ATI, and with that said - you're probably not interested.

Overall, I suspect your card will do you fine for a couple more improvements in tech before you have to upgrade.

the best card you are going to get for $250 anytime soon is the 6800 non-ultra, which is quite a bit faster than the 9800PRO and a worthy upgrade.

might want to order one of these, they are on backorder now:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

otherwise this is the best deal now in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-068&depa=0

The 6800 will give you a big performance upgrade, upgrade to SM3.0 support, and OpenEXR HDR support. Unlike the 6600GT, it has 12 pipes and a 256-bit memory bus, so it pulls ahead of the 9800PRO by a large margin in most games.

tranCendenZ said:
the best card you are going to get for $250 anytime soon is the 6800 non-ultra, which is quite a bit faster than the 9800PRO.

That wasn't the question...

There were only a couple of people that had any input about my question. Everyone else went completely off topic. :rolleyes:

Blah, I just asked when will do you think the price will drop to $250. I didn't ask about any other card.

I'm not posting here anymore, because every thread now days gets so far off topic its not even worth it. And I'm sure someone will quote this and complain some more & go off topic even more. :p

JediK said:
There were only a couple of people that had any input about my question. Everyone else went completely off topic. :rolleyes:

Blah, I just asked when will do you think the price will drop to $250. I didn't ask about any other card.

I'm not posting here anymore, because every thread now days gets so far off topic its not even worth it. And I'm sure someone will quote this and complain some more & go off topic even more. :p

price probably won't drop to $250 for another 3 months at least, not anytime soon as I pointed out above. Thought it would be helpful to give you a realistic alternative, as you said you were upgrading "soon."

we"ll see some deals for $299 most likley before christmas since the new retail price is $299 as of last week according to ati

Headbust said:
we"ll see some deals for $299 most likley before christmas since the new retail price is $299 as of last week according to ati

Since the x800 Pro really isn't competitive with the 6800 GT in terms of performance, it isn't surprising that ATI would be dropping the price relatively soon. Not that they'd admit what all the benchmarks say, mind you. :D

CastleBravo said:
Since the x800 Pro really isn't competitive with the 6800 GT in terms of performance, it isn't surprising that ATI would be dropping the price relatively soon. Not that they'd admit what all the benchmarks say, mind you. :D
Though this is somewhat ture, the GT doesn't blow the x800 out of the water (like the 9700 did to the 5800). We're either going to see staunch prices from both sides, or competetive drops on both sides. Lets hope for situation #2.

JediK said:
Do you think it will take until next summer for the x800pro to drop to $250?
Yes and if the US dollar keep losing value, it may take even longer.

tranCendenZ said:
the best card you are going to get for $250 anytime soon is the 6800 non-ultra, which is quite a bit faster than the 9800PRO and a worthy upgrade.

might want to order one of these, they are on backorder now:
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4082672?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

otherwise this is the best deal now in stock:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-068&depa=0

The 6800 will give you a big performance upgrade, upgrade to SM3.0 support, and OpenEXR HDR support. Unlike the 6600GT, it has 12 pipes and a 256-bit memory bus, so it pulls ahead of the 9800PRO by a large margin in most games.

the 9800 pro is 256 bit, but i think only 8 pipes vs that cards 12 pipes. of course 9800p has 256mb to that cards 128 (both ddr)

JediK said:

The 6600 AGP is NOT a worthy upgrade from the 9800 Pro outside of Doom 3, which judging by its $30 price everyone is done playing anyway. The difference is about 10% on most games and not worth the bother of trying to track down a 6600 AGP and then having to overpay $40 for it (which is what I predicted would happen with the 6600 AGP versions a month ago).

As for the x800 dropping to $250, not going to happen. Since the OEMs are demanding a quick conversion to PCI-e, ATI and Nvidia (from a business standpoint) are being quick to oblige them. Nvidia seems a little more sypmathetic to the AGP front, but its going to be cheaper for a gamer just to bite the bullet and go to PCI-e. The high end AGP parts will remain in scarce quantity and demand a premium in $$ compared to their PCI-e counterparts for some time.

ichbingottderliebe said:
the 9800 pro is 256 bit, but i think only 8 pipes vs that cards 12 pipes. of course 9800p has 256mb to that cards 128 (both ddr)

yeh, all i was saying was that the 128-bit memory bus is the primary thing that makes the 6600GT AGP worse than the 6800... well it has less VS units too I believe (3 vs. 5)

The 6800 non-ultra is 12x1, 256-bit, 128mb, sm3.0, openexr hdr card

But even with 256mb the 9800p can't hold up the the 6800's ultra fast perfornance. If you can spend $250, the 6800nu is definitely the way to go, and it really is a great upgrade (I know many who have done 9800p -> 6800nu and have been very happy with performance boosts. Heck in Doom3 engine games the 6800nu is on par with the x800pro!

Mojo3k70 said:

I'm not sure what reviews you are reading - but while the 6600GT does barely beat the 9800 Pro in some cases, there are many important benchmarks that it doesn't. It's not a good choice in upgrade moving from a 9800 Pro. (why spend $200 for only a SLIGHT increase in performance in certain games...)

seanmcd said:
I'm not sure what reviews you are reading - but while the 6600GT does barely beat the 9800 Pro in some cases, there are many important benchmarks that it doesn't. It's not a good choice in upgrade moving from a 9800 Pro. (why spend $200 for only a SLIGHT increase in performance in certain games...)

I agree with this, I'd say the first upgrade you should consider is a 6800nu. The 6600GT is faster than 9800P, but not enough so worth upgrading IMO. The 6800nu outperforms the 9800P enough to make it a worthy upgrade tho.

Back