When do you think Steam Deck 2 will be released?

I realllly want a steam deck, but I always try to avoid the first iteration of any new tech product, but if steam deck 2 is two years away from now then I don't think I can wait that long.
When do you guys think the SD2 will be announced/released?
I know there is zero evidence of anything, it could be six months, it could be three years...

1659886803640.png

Well all I can say is that even if you want a SD1 now and ordered it you probably aren't going to see it till mid 2023 unless you buy one from a scalper. I ordered in Dec 2021 and maybe I'll get it before Christmas this year. IMHO don't expect a SD2 announcement from Valve till you can order a SD1 from them with it shipping within 24-48 hours. It just won't be in Valve's best interest money wise to spend more money on building a newer SD when the first one still has a nearly 1 year wait before you can get one from order to shipped.

Well all I can say is that even if you want a SD1 now and ordered it you probably aren't going to see it till mid 2023 unless you buy one from a scalper. I ordered in Dec 2021 and maybe I'll get it before Christmas this year. IMHO don't expect a SD2 announcement from Valve till you can order a SD1 from them with it shipping within 24-48 hours. It just won't be in Valve's best interest money wise to spend more money on building a newer SD when the first one still has a nearly 1 year wait before you can get one from order to shipped.
Valve said that all current orders should be shipped before the end of the year.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3413183219974913051

As for a (major) hardware refresh? Not a clue, and I don't think anyone else does either. They've been doing small hardware refreshes consistently though.

I'm hoping it's pretty quick, the other handheld manufacturers pump out multiple refreshes regularly as new chipsets become available, so I'm hoping Valve follows suit.

With that said, I'm not sure if they want their hardware to get too far ahead of their software - one of the biggest positives is how Valve closely integrates Steam OS with the platform.

I'm hoping it's pretty quick, the other handheld manufacturers pump out multiple refreshes regularly as new chipsets become available, so I'm hoping Valve follows suit.

With that said, I'm not sure if they want their hardware to get too far ahead of their software - one of the biggest positives is how Valve closely integrates Steam OS with the platform.

valve has a long history of sitting on hardware for years - I think the Steam OS optimizations for 6800u outside consoles tells us just how many years its gong to be before deck 2 arrive

Last edited:
I think we are on the verge of something big.
Meaning we almost have what we need to make the perfect device.

The steam deck is my favorite thing that I’ve bought in years. It is just a bit underpowered with a god awful screen.

Give me a handheld with a next gen apu and a 1080p oled and I’ll pay what ever you want.

I don’t care who makes it, just needs steam os and touchpads.

valve has a long history of sitting on hardware for years - I think the Steam OS optimizations for 6800 xt outside consoles tells us just how many years its gong to be before deck 2 arrive

I don't know if Valve is entirely in charge of their schedule. I think AMD has already taped out the next-gen dies. They're not going to keep making Deck 1 APUs when they're ready to start making new parts.

It's like Nintendo and Nvidia. Nvidia flat-out refused to produce more Switch chips, so Nintendo will only be able to sell the silicon they have in inventory. After that, they will have to move on.

The steam deck 2 is most likely going to be a little phoenix APU powered system, according to Moore's law is dead little phoenix is not scheduled to be released until the end of 2023, so I think mid 2024 for the Steam Deck 2.
Therefor, I just put my $5 to reserve my Steam Deck 1 as I don't want to wait that long. My retriod pocket 2+ is not scratching my mobile gaming itch.

Last edited:
The steam deck 2 is most likely going to be a little phoenix APU powered system, according to Moore's law is dead little phoenix is not scheduled to be released until the end of 2023, so I think mid 2024 for the Steam Deck 2.
Therefor, I just put my $5 to reserve my Steam Deck 1 as I don't want to wait that long. My retriod pocket 2+ is not scratching my mobile gaming itch.

ONLY 40 PERCENT FASTER THAN EXISTING STEAMDCK AND A full 4 years after van gogh was originally announced?

Sound to me like Valve is more concerned with balancing pennies on a spreadsheet than actually releasing a good value 6- core zen 4 console for say $500? otherwise, these things will become just as irrelevant as tiger lake 4c did in a world of Alder Lake e-cores

there are already many 6800 xt consoles due within 6 months,and little pascal will barely match the GPU on the 6800u, and wont be released before the Zen 4 mainstream apu

Last edited:
Valve first needs to prove the are "in it" for the long haul. The Steam Deck could very well be a "one hit wonder". Which btw, for those that purchased it, may cause yours to rise in value (?)

But, way to early to even tell.

Could be like the Nvidia Shield. Who knows?

Back