When do you think core 2 duo's will drop in price?

Whipsmack

Gawd
I have absolutely no reason to get a new computer right now so I have no problem waiting... How long though do you think it'll be before you can get a 6600 for 250ish?

I haven't seen any roadmaps, but a price drop is always likely shortly after new processors release. Since the new Kentsfield chips come out later this year, you're probably lokking at about Christmas.

it would be quite nice to see the E4300 to debut under $100 and replace the 805 if there is a decent price cut around christmas time. i've got a hankering for a new HTPC that that processor would fit quite well in.

e4300 supposedly to go for $130 when they come out... 6300 will be priced similar I'm sure...

Intel usually never go below $100 for their high performance processors... Celeron is another story...

they already have dropped in price from what I've seen so far. MSRP for an E6400 was 299, I got mine online for 267 and you can find em now for 230.

vanilla_guerilla said:
when pigs fly.

QFT - no reason to drop for a while

When the X6900 comes out in another month or 2 it should push down the prices a little bit on the rest of the processors, and they will probably release a regular E6800 (with out unclocked multipliers)

Other than that you'll have to wait for the 4300 which should kick ass since it will have an 800FSB (=higher multiplier) so people should be able to OC the hell out of it much more easily, than trying to reach 400-500+ FSB on with these 6300/6400's.

I just don't get it.
You want to wait for it to drop like $80 bucks?
I spend that much on a Friday night on booze alone. Why wait so long just to save $80 dollars? That doesn't make sense to me.

psychot|K said:
I just don't get it.
You want to wait for it to drop like $80 bucks?
I spend that much on a Friday night on booze alone. Why wait so long just to save $80 dollars? That doesn't make sense to me.

There are lot of college kids and high school kids here who don't make a dime... $200-350 is still too much just for a CPU...

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea they are probably wasting their money on stuff like books, pencils and slide-rules.

Meaning we are getting an education so we can get good jobs - get good income, and than buy $500 processors and video-cards to "periodically" upgrade our computers ;)

In all seriousness though, college books are the biggest rip-off ever - and that actually prevented me from building my computer all at once (I still have to get the sound card - working that off this weekend and than I'll finally be done!)

blade52x said:
Meaning we are getting an education so we can get good jobs - get good income, and than buy $500 processors and video-cards to "periodically" upgrade our computers ;)

In all seriousness though, college books are the biggest rip-off ever - and that actually prevented me from building my computer all at once (I still have to get the sound card - working that off this weekend and than I'll finally be done!)

I would like to tell you its all worth it too, but you could get a few certs and be in the game 4 years eariler and then just go back like I did. (If you are going in IT/IS)

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea they are probably wasting their money on stuff like books, pencils and slide-rules.

Exactly! And that's just stupid!
Back in my day we neverused books and pencils, we wrote on cement slabs using our fingernails. Kids these days... no priorities...

fingernails? we wished we had fingernails! we had to eat them. to write, we had to bang our head on the concrete slabs and use the blood to write. i mean the blood we had left after selling it.

vanilla_guerilla said:
fingernails? we wished we had fingernails! we had to eat them. to write, we had to bang our head on the concrete slabs and use the blood to write. i mean the blood we had left after selling it.

Writing? Back in my day we didn't have any form of writing! We learned to count by watching buffalo roam the fields before we slaughtered them with our spears!

Yeah bad joke. I know, I know. :p

Off topic? Off topic! Why back in my day!

Just kidding.

But seriously, 300$+ is too much for a lot of people. With a yearly expensive of $1450 for University Books... and *alot* more for rent... It's tough to come up with 300$ for a processor when you have an 18$/wk food budget!

The E6300 is still, the best bang/buck CPU out there right now, and if I didn't already have an AMD machine, I would be using it. 230$ isn't bad at all.

I cannot speak for the US, but in Europe prices on Conroe have already dropped alot.

I am watching the E6600 (just waiting for Nvidia Intel 590 SLI motherboard), when Conroe went on sale the cheapest price I found was 337€, today its at 277€.

50€ in 2 months ain't bad...

If he's sweating over an extra $80, then he should not be considering an E6600. He should be looking at a E6300.

mmarsh said:
I cannot speak for the US, but in Europe prices on Conroe have already dropped alot.

I am watching the E6600 (just waiting for Nvidia Intel 590 SLI motherboard), when Conroe went on sale the cheapest price I found was 337€, today its at 277€.

50€ in 2 months ain't bad...

if you are waiting for a 590 board, you will at the very least until december. so because or quad core, holidays, etc, price will come down a fair bit more.

Back