• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

When can we expect Sandy Bridge

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 29, 2005
Messages
7,008
When can we expect Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge motherboards to actually be available for purchase. I know no one can read the future but please post your best guess. Also When do you think we will have prices and details about specific processors and performance.
 
January at CES

Nice, By any chance do you know about bulldozer too and when those cpu's are due? I'm in the process of planning my next build and it will be either

Sandy Bridge/ Bulldozer 4Ghz + whichever performs better bang/buck
High end overclockable mobo supporting dual/tri sli dual tri crossfire x
12GB or so DDR 3 tri channel
2x GTX 580 or 2x 6970
3x 30 inch monitor
Solid State boot drive (fastest possible)
Mobo/GPUs/CPU all on water

etc...
 

:confused: For lack of better options then I guess my next rig will be Sandy bridge then. Perhaps with a stop gap cpu upgrade right around 28nm GPU releases and after bulldozer if those CPU's are enough competition.
 
As he said, January.
And H2'2011 for BD, competing with Ivy Bridge.

Why not? I mean, why wont they offer tri channel ddr 3 on their latest and greatest? Stupid move if you ask me.
s1155 is the replacement for s1156, not s1366.
 
Why not? I mean, why wont they offer tri channel ddr 3 on their latest and greatest? Stupid move if you ask me.

SB in Q1 will be replacing i3, i5, and i7-8xx on Socket 1155 with dual channel RAM, replacing Socket 1156

SB-E in Q3 will replace i7-9xx and Xeons with Socket 2011 and triple or possible quad channel RAM and more PCIe lanes, replacing Socket 1366

Ivy Bridge is 22nm shrink sometime around/after SB-E
 
SB in Q1 will be replacing i3, i5, and i7-8xx on Socket 1155 with dual channel RAM, replacing Socket 1156

SB-E in Q3 will replace i7-9xx and Xeons with Socket 2011 and triple or possible quad channel RAM and more PCIe lanes, replacing Socket 1366

Ivy Bridge is 22nm shrink sometime around/after SB-E

Damn that doesn't sound good, There is no clear upgrade path to stay safe on. I'm aware SB will offer other good things other than ram speed. I've seen screens of 5+ Ghz on Sandy Bridge but I know that when SB-E comes out in Q3 I'm going to want to switch mobos, possibly even go to bulldozer. I was hoping to find a solution I'd be happy with for a long time, that will stay on the high end for close to a year. From the looks of it if you get 5 months your lucky.

Damn intel, why so many sockets, why switch all the damn time :(
 
Damn that doesn't sound good, There is no clear upgrade path to stay safe on. I'm aware SB will offer other good things other than ram speed. I've seen screens of 5+ Ghz on Sandy Bridge but I know that when SB-E comes out in Q3 I'm going to want to switch mobos, possibly even go to bulldozer. I was hoping to find a solution I'd be happy with for a long time, that will stay on the high end for close to a year. From the looks of it if you get 5 months your lucky.

Damn intel, why so many sockets, why switch all the damn time :(

Intel would have made sense with what they did, except they kept Core 2 and LGA 775 alive.

1156 had a weird position in the market. It had cheap chips like the Pentium G6950, which overlapped with their LGA 775 lineup, because they're selling Core 2 Quads at the same time, and it had expensive chips like the i7-870K, which overlapped with their LGA 1366 lineup.

Sandy Bridge 1155 should be a winner for single-GPU gamers who don't need the extra PCIe lanes, and who don't need hexacore or octacore SB-E chips. Same way the i5 quads and P55s have been really popular here.
 
Back
Top