When can we expect Bulldozer

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
When can we expect bulldozer and bulldozer motherboards to actually be available for purchase. I know noone can read the future but please post your best guess. Also When do you think we will have prices and details about specific processors and performance.

Thanks in Advance

Oh and PS. I'd rather get something with native support than get something now and cross my fingers for a bios update.

Bulldozer itself I hear second of 2011 for the most part. AMD is really keeping their lips tight with that release date. AMD will be releasing their APU's prior though.

The motherboards with AM3+ may start showing up second quarter. To let people start upgrading their motherboards to support BD when it comes out who already have a P2 processor or those buying P2 can upgrade to it later. I would love to see this happen, but it may of been just a rumor.

Bulldozer itself I hear second of 2011 for the most part. AMD is really keeping their lips tight with that release date. AMD will be releasing their APU's prior though.

The motherboards with AM3+ may start showing up second quarter. To let people start upgrading their motherboards to support BD when it comes out who already have a P2 processor or those buying P2 can upgrade to it later. I would love to see this happen, but it may of been just a rumor.

Hmm, Those will be paired with Bobcat if what I read is correct. I'm mostly interested for a major build that I plan on completing within the next 3 months. Sadly I'm hearing that Sandy Bridge will be out in time for my build http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/12/sandy-bridge-sale-early-2011/ but Bulldozer isn't. We'll see as the time draws near but I was hoping both would arrive around mid-late Q1. If Bulldozer is that far off then I think my path is becoming clear.

My build so far

Sandy Bridge/ Bulldozer 4Ghz + whichever performs better bang/buck
High end overclockable mobo supporting dual/tri sli dual tri crossfire x
1.5Kw uber high end PSU
12GB or so DDR 3 tri channel
2x GTX 580 or 2x 6970
3x 30 inch monitor
Solid State boot drive (fastest possible)
Mobo/GPUs/CPU all on water

You would be best served to wait until next week on that question. Analyst day is the 9th.

Hmm, Those will be paired with Bobcat if what I read is correct. I'm mostly interested for a major build that I plan on completing within the next 3 months. Sadly I'm hearing that Sandy Bridge will be out in time for my build http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/12/sandy-bridge-sale-early-2011/ but Bulldozer isn't. We'll see as the time draws near but I was hoping both would arrive around mid-late Q1. If Bulldozer is that far off then I think my path is becoming clear.

I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to give AMD my money when it comes time for building my new platform. Current dilemma is that I need a quad core desktop, but with next generation coming "so soon" it'd be wasteful to put money into any current platform. I'm without a machine capable of gaming and I'm starting to get the itch real bad. AMD might want to throw us fans a bone and give us an idea of when we can get Bulldozer.

I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to give AMD my money when it comes time for building my new platform. Current dilemma is that I need a quad core desktop, but with next generation coming "so soon" it'd be wasteful to put money into any current platform. I'm without a machine capable of gaming and I'm starting to get the itch real bad. AMD might want to throw us fans a bone and give us an idea of when we can get Bulldozer.

QFT this when it's ready crap is not cutting it.

My build so far

Sandy Bridge/ Bulldozer 4Ghz + whichever performs better bang/buck
High end overclockable mobo supporting dual/tri sli dual tri crossfire x
1.5Kw uber high end PSU
12GB or so DDR 3 tri channel
2x GTX 580 or 2x 6970
3x 30 inch monitor
Solid State boot drive (fastest possible)
Mobo/GPUs/CPU all on water

You do realize that the Sandy Bridge coming out is only the mainstream right? We won't see the enthusiast part till later in 2011.

You do realize that the Sandy Bridge coming out is only the mainstream right? We won't see the enthusiast part till later in 2011.

No I didn't, so a Sandy Bridge will not be a better buy than a i7 even clocked at 5ghz. Would I be better off getting something current and high end and overclocking to 4+Ghz

Have you seen this http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/11 ? Shows the Sandy Bridge Core i5 2400 @3.1GHz gaming performance against the 980x, 760, 880, and 1090T. I don't think turbo is turned off though. That maybe rigging the results a bit. Not as much of a clock for clock comparison.

I do think the SB mainstream will out do the current i7 900 series. Though you will be missing out on six cores and octo cores going with that for your rig that is what socket 2011 is for (I think thats the name of the enthusiast socket). If you don't care go for the mainstream. I don't know if the enthusiast will be more faster in say single threaded apps though. It could have more L2 and L3 cache for all we know to make a bigger difference. It could be how the 760 isn't the much behind a 930 now for instance.

Yeah, from what I gather, Bulldozer is an infinitely more innovative product.

I'm not holding my breath on it. I am hoping for the best, but we'll see what happens.

Impossible to say without knowing how they will price the unlocked (K) processors.

From the SB thread in the Intel section...

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5231/roadmapq4.jpg

If those prices are accurate then it's a MUCH better buy. 25% more headroom (5GHz vs 4GHz) plus 10 - 15% increase in IPC... for the same prices as i5 / i7 chips.

Anyway, back on Bulldozer, is it going to target S2011 or S1155? Or both? It'll need to be a pretty darn impressive chip to beat the S2011 SB-E chips IMO, but it has a good chance of competing against the S1155 SB chips,

Too far out. It may come out spring if AMD's first samples are spot on perfect and ready to mass produce. However, this is unlikely, especially on a new process. The second, third, fourth revisions will push the release date further and further back, but I'd prefer AMD getting it mostly right the first time rather than do a back-to-back top-to-bottom refresh.

That being said, you can expect mainstream variants out about 2 months after performance target slides "leaks" start and 1 month after performance benchmark "leaks" start. Performance variants will be about 1 month later. This is not just marketing hype build up though, AMD has to release loads of information to manufacturers well ahead of time so motherboards software etc will be ready at the same time as the processor product. When prototypes of motherboards are ready and they pop-in engineering samples to test them, benchmarks will of course be conducted. As more and more people know details, leaks are inevitable. As you probably know, AMD makes their smaller chips first and takes lessons that can only be learned from mass production (rather than test spins) to fine tune and finalize their larger chip designs. As you and the rest of [H] are probably after performance parts, you shouldn't get excited this early, you'll die of exhaustion long before it is released :)

Yeah, from what I gather, Bulldozer is an infinitely more innovative product.

True, but just to stir the pot, the ATI HD2900 was a very innovative graphics card that had poor execution. Basically packed with unutilized technology and poor performance where it counted.

This one too:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...sktop_Bulldozer_Microprocessors_in_April.html

Still, they are releasing the 8 core first, with the 6 and 4 core to follow later. I wonder if the smaller core count chips will be the 8 core chip with some parts disabled.

I'm really shocked that even with AMD graphics division and Intel both releasing smaller chips with mainstream performance before their large die size chips (both on OLD mature processes), that AMD processor division is going to go for the big chip first on a NEW process and also a NEW architecture.

I fear for the worst...

Last edited:
I dunno i'm rooting for AMD this round, it's time for them to start being seriously performance competitive with intel. On paper a bulldozer sounds alot more badass than sandy bridge at least :D

This one too:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...sktop_Bulldozer_Microprocessors_in_April.html

Still, they are releasing the 8 core first, with the 6 and 4 core to follow later. I wonder if the smaller core count chips will be the 8 core chip with some parts disabled.

I'm really shocked that even with AMD graphics division and Intel both releasing smaller chips with mainstream performance before their large die size chips (both on OLD mature processes), that AMD processor division is going to go for the big chip first on a NEW process and also a NEW architecture.

I fear for the worst...

they have to go where the money is. and the mainstream is where the money is.

they have to go where the money is. and the mainstream is where the money is.

They are not going for the mainstream first though? If this article is accurate, they are releasing high-end 8 cores chips first, followed by 6 and 4 core versions. The order of release makes me confused at least.

They are not going for the mainstream first though? If this article is accurate, they are releasing high-end 8 cores chips first, followed by 6 and 4 core versions. The order of release makes me confused at least.

They're still going to need to price it below intel's offering because by the time BD is out, intel should have an 8 core of their own (socket 2011?). Intel's part will probably be 1k+ so unless amd is matching its performance, they'll need to price it below that.

Wait until we make an official statement tuesday on analysts day. The last few articles on xbit have been wrong. Not making any statements about this one, but his sources are not as accurate as one would expect.

Wait until we make an official statement tuesday on analysts day. The last few articles on xbit have been wrong. Not making any statements about this one, but his sources are not as accurate as one would expect.

Deep release of breath.... haaaaaaaaa

Back