• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

when are the i5s being released

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,230
ive come into a little bit of money and ive been wanting to build a new rig for sometime now and ive gone back and forth, ive ben told to build a 955 phenom, others say build the i7 and others say wait for the i5.

how far away is the i5 and the boards for it.
 
no no!!! build a socket 1156 i7!!!!!

I have been hunting for info for a while now and the best I can say is soon Q3/4..... Not very accurate I know, and I would put my money on Q4.
 
well i was just reading on overclockers forums and people are saying the i5 will be under the i7 and speculations are saying the i7 will be good for multi gpus and the i5 will be good for singles and alot of people on there dont really care about the i5s
 
Just build a X58/Core i7 920 system and get some use out of it. Waiting for i5 isn't going to be that much cheaper. You can get an i7 920 and X58 motherboard for under $400 now. A 955 and motherboard isn't that much cheaper unless you go with an AM2+ motherboard and DDR2 memory, but there goes your upgrade path.
 
Anyone have any good links for the i5? Haven't read much on it and would like to.
 
socket will i3/i5/i7 CPUs Atech.

It is impossible for me to decrypt that?

i7 = socket 1336 (due to tripple-channel RAM)
i5 = socket 1156 (due to dual-channel RAM)

The extra RAM channel requires more CPU's pins as the memory controller is onchip now.
 
Nope. Here's what each socket will support:

1366: i7, i9
1156: i3, i5, i7

Obviously the 1366 i7s are different to the 1156 i7s (tripple channel vs dual channel and QPI vs DMI) but they are both i7s nonetheless.
 
Nope. Here's what each socket will support:

1366: i7, i9
1156: i3, i5, i7

Obviously the 1366 i7s are different to the 1156 i7s but they are both i7s nonetheless.

You may call it a i7, but with no tripplechannel we all know what it is...a dressed up i5 so poor peolpe can claim to have an i7.
 
You may call it a i7, but with no tripplechannel we all know what it is...a dressed up i5 so poor peolpe can claim to have an i7.

Agreed. The main selling point of i7 is its triple channel memory controller. A dual channel version would be an i5 by definition. As far as I can tell there is nothing from Intel about such a thing.

1156 for i3/i5 and 1366 for i7/i9 sounds far more reasonable to me. Low-end/mainstream vs high-end sockets.
 
From early previews on the net the i5s seem to oc like a champ. I have not seen any gaming benchmarks showing that triple channel makes a big dif over dual channel.

I think i5's could make a good cheap gaming platform once prices settle down.
 
From early previews on the net the i5s seem to oc like a champ. I have not seen any gaming benchmarks showing that triple channel makes a big dif over dual channel..

Gaming is not all people do...and are you comparing 2 cores with HT to 4 cores with HT? :confused:
 
You may call it a i7, but with no tripplechannel we all know what it is...a dressed up i5 so poor peolpe can claim to have an i7.
i7 CPUs have HT, and i3/i5 chips do not. That is the difference. I don't think the naming scheme really makes complete sense, but that's the way it is, so calling all LGA1156 chips i5 and all LGA1366 chips i7 would just be incorrect.
Agreed. The main selling point of i7 is its triple channel memory controller. A dual channel version would be an i5 by definition. As far as I can tell there is nothing from Intel about such a thing.

1156 for i3/i5 and 1366 for i7/i9 sounds far more reasonable to me. Low-end/mainstream vs high-end sockets.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/17/intel-explains-future-core-i7-i5-i3-brandin/1

LGA1156 i7 chips will be 8xx models as opposed to the current 9xx models. This information has been well-known for a while already.
 
i7 CPUs have HT, and i3/i5 chips do not. That is the difference. I don't think the naming scheme really makes complete sense, but that's the way it is, so calling all LGA1156 chips i5 and all LGA1366 chips i7 would just be incorrect.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/17/intel-explains-future-core-i7-i5-i3-brandin/1

You forget about the P55/P57 <-> X58 chipset thingy..
And the DMI <-> QPI bus thingy...

Painting a silvercoin with goldpaint dosn't make it a goldcoin...
 
i7 has 8 threads
i5 has 4 threads
i3 has 4 threads but doesn't have turbo

I already posted a (IMO) very good chart to explain this.
capturexzq.png
 
You forget about the P55/P57 <-> X58 chipset thingy..
And the DMI <-> QPI bus thingy...

Painting a silvercoin with goldpaint dosn't make it a goldcoin...
Who named the products again? I'm pretty sure it was Intel and not you, and I'm pretty sure that they can call it whatever they damn please. So instead of being a smartass, why don't you go complain to Intel's marketing department and tell them how stupid you think their naming scheme is? I'm sure it won't make a difference, but it'll be a lot more constructive than complaining about it here.
 
Who named the products again? I'm pretty sure it was Intel and not you, and I'm pretty sure that they can call it whatever they damn please. So instead of biting my head off about how I'm using Intel's own naming scheme for their products, why don't you go bitch to their marketing department instead? Being a smartass isn't going to get you anywhere here.

You mean like NVIDA's 9800GTX+ -> GT250?
Or like Creative's budgdet "X-Fi"'s that are nothing bug a relabed Audigy4?
A PR name is not always an indication of the true hardware.

This is [H]ard, not PR-country...nes pas?
 
I dont think anyone said that the name did imply anything other than a name. Yeah, the naming scheme is kind of weird, I will agree, but it is what it is...
 
You mean like NVIDA's 9800GTX+ -> GT250?
Or like Creative's budgdet "X-Fi"'s that are nothing bug a relabed Audigy4?
A PR name is not always an indication of the true hardware.

This is [H]ard, not PR-country...nes pas?
The difference is that the LGA1156 chips are not rebadged i5s. There are clear distinctions between the different product lines, and whether or not you agree with them, Intel chose the names, and that's the way it is. Being in denial isn't going to change that, so all you're doing is wasting your time and annoying people.
If you're going to try and be clever, at least learn to spell it properly so you don't make a fool out of yourself.
 
The difference is that the LGA1156 chips are not rebadged i5s. There are clear distinctions between the different product lines, and whether or not you agree with them, Intel chose the names, and that's the way it is. Being in denial isn't going to change that, so all you're doing is wasting your time and annoying people.

So all i7's have DMI and QPI and they just lasercut the bus they don't need? :rolleyes:
 
No they are different cores. Also, guess what, Core 2's will be soon called core i3's. They are just names...
 
i wish apple would sue intel over this i-nomenclature to make them stop.

not that I like apple. I think rather not highly of them, and I like building systems with intel chips. I just want to use intel products without being mistaken for an iTool.

I wish they would just iQuitit with the iThing.
 
i wish apple would sue intel over this i-nomenclature to make them stop.

not that I like apple. I think rather not highly of them, and I like building systems with intel chips. I just want to use intel products without being mistaken for an iTool.

I wish they would just iQuitit with the iThing.

Excuse me?
Intel has used a little "i" in their CPU's since the 8088/8086 age, so that would have to be Intel suing Apple, not the other way around.

Try goggling i8086, i286, i386, i486 ect...
 
So all i7's have DMI and QPI and they just lasercut the bus they don't need? :rolleyes:
No, and I never said anything that would remotely imply that :rolleyes:. i7 9xx chips are Bloomfields, and i7 8xx chips are Lynnfields with HT. If you're having trouble understanding that, then I'm afraid I can't help you.
 
After reading the first page, I take it that the i3 and i5 CPUs will not have Hyperthreading? Speaking of differences, I recall reading that the i5s will have a built in PCI-Express. What can we expect this to mean in terms of gaming? As an i7 owner, will the i5 be a better platform for me?

I know it is to early to tell. Still, why give the lower sockets that ability but not the higher one?
 
After reading the first page, I take it that the i3 and i5 CPUs will not have Hyperthreading?
Correct.
Speaking of differences, I recall reading that the i5s will have a built in PCI-Express. What can we expect this to mean in terms of gaming? As an i7 owner, will the i5 be a better platform for me?
No, there's no real advantage to having the PCI-E bus built into the CPU. There will probably be a decrease in latency, but that won't make any difference to real-world performance.
 
And the i5s will also have a clarkdale with HT as well.

And for the love of all that is tech LOOK AT THE DAMN CHART
 
everything we know is in the chart
stop remembering old posts and info and look at the chart.
 
look at the chart.

I am afraid he is right

The problem is, the confusion does not end at the chart, it begins at the chart.

The chart shows me that a new processor called the 870 is faster, consumes less power than the 920 and costs more. Why then is it named 'lower' than '920.' Madness! :D

[edit]
Oh and this 870 is an i7 meant to go into a i5 motherboard?
 
yes, the i7 8xx series are lynnfield chips, using socket s1156 (P55 rather than X58)
 
And the i5s will also have a clarkdale with HT as well.

And for the love of all that is tech LOOK AT THE DAMN CHART

Okay... so what's the difference between i7 and i5 in that case? It can't be triple channel RAM as the 1156 socket doesn't support this. It can't be HT if there are i5 CPUs with HT as well.

Way to muddle your CPU categories, Intel...
 
Thread count is your answer. 8 threads vs 4 threads.
socket and what goes with it is i7 9xx vs i7 8xx
 
Thread count is your answer. 8 threads vs 4 threads.
socket and what goes with it is i7 9xx vs i7 8xx

Erm... quad-core i5 with HT = 8 threads? Or are i5s limited to dual-core?
 
Erm... quad-core i5 with HT = 8 threads? Or are i5s limited to dual-core?
Did you look at the chart? Because that would answer your questions. Quad-core i5s do not have HT; only the dual-core models will. So all i5 CPUs will have 4 threads. Meanwhile, the Lynnfield i7s will be LGA1156 quad-cores with HT so they will have 8 threads.
 
And the i5s will also have a clarkdale with HT as well.

And for the love of all that is tech LOOK AT THE DAMN CHART

Did you look at the chart? Because that would answer your questions. Quad-core i5s do not have HT; only the dual-core models will. So all i5 CPUs will have 4 threads. Meanwhile, the Lynnfield i7s will be LGA1156 quad-cores with HT so they will have 8 threads.

Now I'm confused... I'd like to see an official chart from Intel at this point :p
 
Back
Top