• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What's your track record been?

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2000
Messages
1,181
Looked back at my old Newegg invoices and found of 9 PSU's
purchased, 1 died and 8 still going. Most rigs
run 24/7 doing various distributed computing projects.

Details ...

Antec 400W pp412 ... 1/02 ... died within 1 yr

Still going:

Powmax 300W ... 2/02 ... KT266A board ... overclocked XP1800+
450W ALLIED ATX450P4 ... 12/02 ... overclocked KT333
APEX AL-A350ATX ATX 350W ... 6/03 ... P4 3.06
Thermaltake Silent PurePower TT-420AD ... 8/03 ... overclocked NF2
(2) Antec SL350W's ... 12/03 ... overclocked NF2's
Thermaltake Silent PurePower TT-420AD ... 9/04 ... overclocked NF2
Turbolink 420W ... 12/04 ... overclocked NF2
 
I've only once bought a PSU to replace one that died, and it wasn't even the PSU that died as much as the fan on the PSU, and I was too lazy to take it apart to replace the fan.

Otherwise, I have always gone with whatever OEM PSU was in the case, and never had a problem.
 
300w sparkle powering my 2nd rig and pcp&c 510 deluxe on my main rig. both doing good
 
Personally (because the number of RMA's I've done for employers is mind blowing.) I've had pretty good luck. And by personally I mean "in a PC" and not "on the load tester." :D

Had an Antec True Blue explode. That one kind of made me giggle because that same week I had two other Antecs blow up at work. :p

I had an Enermax die, but it died because it's fan died and it overheated. Otherwise, it was doing quite well.
 
Last things that really went on me were back in the AT days. Only two or three ATX supplies have died of the hundred or more I have put together or bought. One was a Foxconn (Deer) in a surplused Dell I bought, one was by a.....uh......company for a customer, and the third was a CoolerMaster Real Power 450w.......that one was a bitch......gave off a nice ozone smell.

So maybe 2% or less failure rate for me.
 
Over the years I think I have had at least 1 of almost everything go,
but the best was a Compaq OEM that actually "burned the computer to the ground"! :eek: :D
 
2 el chepo PSUs, Deer and something else, which both died powering my XP rigs I had. Now I'm using a TT PurePower 480watt that I got after the others died a few yrs ago..I can't believe it's still working. Powering the rig below w/ only 18amps on the 12v rail. *crosses fingers*
 
I'm still running on a generic 350 watt psu, 5 years its been stable, so I won't complain.

The funny thing is my freind, with a HP media center pc thats like 2 years old, tried to upgrade his video card and found out that it wasn't getting enough power. He looks at the PSU and it's 200 watt. He called me up with a 'What the hell?!' comment... :D Really ticked him off. Then the card didnt work with the pc, even though hp said it would, and he had to pay newegg restocking fees. :(
 
Wow you have a powmax that hasnt died? haha. I have a 280watt no name that powered the system I built my sister ALONG time ago (K6-233) and it still works to this day. The only psu ive ever had die on me was an HP oem in a pavilion that was given to me. Ive had some that fail, but dont die, ones that cant take the stress. I havent had any smoke on me, but I sure did have a monitor smoke on me once, screen fizzed and started smokin out the top.
 
Apparently, the story that I heard about HP using low-qual components is true!

Personally, I have a 300W PSU that delivers something like 11.35V 3.45V and 5.15V. If I tried to get more voltage out of the 12V rail, the 5V rail would increase as well and I was told that rail was more important for the health of the PC.

In any case, I have a 400W zippy coming to replace that one.

edit: posted accurate voltages. Why did I ask about PSU voltages in the electronics forum instead of the PSU forum??? oh, well, live and learn
 
never lost a supply
closest Ive come is loosing a single modual in a Zippy N+1
 
Almost all my failures have been with cheapos, except for a 3-year-old Antec with bad Taiwan capacitors and a pulled Delta that arrived with cracked solder joints. The failed cheapos were a 250W Transworld (computer wouldn't always start when computer configured for mouse/keyboard/network turn-on because PSU couldn't put out even half its rated +5V standby amps), a 250W King Case (+3.3V output MOSFET shorted when former friend plugged DIMM in backwards), and a 300W (probably Deer; 1uF, 16V capacitors shorted, had 50V spikes across them).
 
well, at home, i've lost a 350w powmax, before i knew any better

at my previous employer, i only had a few blow, but that was mostly because they were in offices, with good building power regulation and protection circuits on every floor. they also were on a lease program and replaced them every three years, without question.

on the factory floors, i had the one that shot a ball of electricity (damn engineers) and a 200w generic supply in a production machine go down.

now i work for a school district, and we've probabily replaced 30 FSPs 140w-250w models, but they are all 6ish years old, on 40 year old power circuits designed to run lights, not all the crap we have on them. but we also have about 1200 that haven't had problems, and about 300 that have been retired without issue.
 
i had an enermax 430 watt that died in under 2 years of usage, also had a dell oem power supply die just a few weeks ago also under 2 years of usage.
 
6 years, 6 power supplies (for different computers). Only one has died. It was a Powmax...big surprise
 
3 dead supplies in 5 years.

First was cheapo one that came with case, it popped a cap and I lost my DVD drive because of it.

The last two were Antec True350 and Antec True380. The last one I was getting 4.3 v out of the 5v line.
 
Back
Top