What's your opinion on Titanium frame in the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro Max

maverick786us

2[H]4U
With rumors that iPhone 15 Pro Max will replace the stainless steel frame with a titanium frame.

The only Titanium apple product that I have is Apple Watch Ultra. Despite the fact that it's its the most premium apple watch. When I compare this Ultra model with Apple watch stainless steel golden, it looks dull, it lacks the premium look, feel and stylish that we see in golden stainless steel variant.

So in nutshell if you are wearing a golden stainless steel apple watch in some function, party it will come to everyone's attention. However if you wear an Ultra Model, despite having titanium finish it will look like an ordinary apple watch to most of the non tech people.

I love the shiny stainless steel frame in current iPhone Pro max series, but if apple replaces it with Titanium frame, will it look dull like Apple Watch Ultra series? What's your opinion on Titanium frame? Unless apple launches an ultra model for iPhone series, we don't have a choice to select Stainless steel or Titanium.

With rumors that iPhone 15 Pro Max will replace the stainless steel frame with a titanium frame.

The only Titanium apple product that I have is Apple Watch Ultra. Despite the fact that it's its the most premium apple watch. When I compare this Ultra model with Apple watch stainless steel golden, it looks dull, it lacks the premium look, feel and stylish that we see in golden stainless steel variant.

So in nutshell if you are wearing a golden stainless steel apple watch in some function, party it will come to everyone's attention. However if you wear an Ultra Model, despite having titanium finish it will look like an ordinary apple watch to most of the non tech people.
I actually disagree with you here about a number of things. I think matte actually looks more premium. And shiny looks less. Such is the effect of plastics. Making something shiny isn't hard. From the 70's and up people have had access to very shiny costume jewellery. None of that impresses me. And I think that is also a current trend in terms of materials usage.

It's also impossible to not notice an Apple watch Ultra. It's larger by wide margin and has orange accents. And has flat geometry on the face. Which is in stark contrast to all other Apple watches. The Ultra is also the only Apple watch that is matte. I would say it's much harder for an ordinary person to see the difference between an Aluminum Midnight Apple Watch and a Stainless Steel Space Grey Apple Watch.

Arguably though if you're wearing a watch for the 'fashion' or beauty of it, you would in fact be better served by getting a "standard" Hermes Apple Watch instead of the Ultra, which is targeting people that do extreme sports. 99.9999% of people on the planet won't use the Ultra only features. Most folks don't scuba, run ultras, or trek for days in the middle of nowhere. Then you'd get that shiny whatever.
I love the shiny stainless steel frame in current iPhone Pro max series, but if apple replaces it with Titanium frame, will it look dull like Apple Watch Ultra series? What's your opinion on Titanium frame? Unless apple launches an ultra model for iPhone series, we don't have a choice to select Stainless steel or Titanium.
Well, uncertain. They could polish it, or they may choose to have it be processed to have a similar texture to the back of the phone. I think that's pretty likely.

In terms of how I feel about it? I think it will be a marked improvement because phones are getting more and more heavy so any usage of materials that make the phone lighter while keeping durability up I'm for. Titanium is arguably the most premium metal they could use for such a device. It's theoretically possible for them to use less of the material and titanium weighs less than steel for a greater reduction in weight.

I actually disagree with you here about a number of things. I think matte actually looks more premium. And shiny looks less. Such is the effect of plastics. Making something shiny isn't hard. From the 70's and up people have had access to very shiny costume jewellery. None of that impresses me. And I think that is also a current trend in terms of materials usage.

It's also impossible to not notice an Apple watch Ultra. It's larger by wide margin and has orange accents. And has flat geometry on the face. Which is in stark contrast to all other Apple watches. The Ultra is also the only Apple watch that is matte. I would say it's much harder for an ordinary person to see the difference between an Aluminum Midnight Apple Watch and a Stainless Steel Space Grey Apple Watch.

Arguably though if you're wearing a watch for the 'fashion' or beauty of it, you would in fact be better served by getting a "standard" Hermes Apple Watch instead of the Ultra, which is targeting people that do extreme sports. 99.9999% of people on the planet won't use the Ultra only features. Most folks don't scuba, run ultras, or trek for days in the middle of nowhere. Then you'd get that shiny whatever.

Well, uncertain. They could polish it, or they may choose to have it be processed to have a similar texture to the back of the phone. I think that's pretty likely.

In terms of how I feel about it? I think it will be a marked improvement because phones are getting more and more heavy so any usage of materials that make the phone lighter while keeping durability up I'm for. Titanium is arguably the most premium metal they could use for such a device. It's theoretically possible for them to use less of the material and titanium weighs less than steel for a greater reduction in weight.

For people like us, yes we can easily figure out. But we are in minority. 90% people are non techies, for them it will look like some large version of aluminum watch. When it comes to wearables, aesthetic matters, specially when you are buying the worlds most expensive wrist watch, Apple Watch Ultra

For people like us, yes we can easily figure out. But we are in minority. 90% people are non techies, for them it will look like some large version of aluminum watch. When it comes to wearables, aesthetic matters, specially when you are buying the worlds most expensive wrist watch, Apple Watch Ultra
EDIT: Why do you need people to know you’re wearing a “special” $800 Apple Watch?

Last edited:

I'd disagree somewhat. The Apple Watch Ultra looks like a tool watch (that is, a conventional watch designed for diving, lap timing or even aviation tasks). I'm not so keen on the Ultra's orange activity button, even if I understand why it exists, but it looks better than a base aluminum Apple Watch.

I'm all for titanium on the iPhone, provided it doesn't hike the price by itself. Even my iPhone 13 Pro is a bit heavy; I'm seriously considering a Max next time around, and I'd like to see some weight savings before I make the leap. I've tried the Galaxy S22+, and part of what made it so appealing was its light weight compared to its size. Give me an iPhone 15 Pro Max (or more realistically for me, a 16 Pro Max) with a comparable weight and I'll love it.

I'd disagree somewhat. The Apple Watch Ultra looks like a tool watch (that is, a conventional watch designed for diving, lap timing or even aviation tasks). I'm not so keen on the Ultra's orange activity button, even if I understand why it exists, but it looks better than a base aluminum Apple Watch.

I'm all for titanium on the iPhone, provided it doesn't hike the price by itself. Even my iPhone 13 Pro is a bit heavy; I'm seriously considering a Max next time around, and I'd like to see some weight savings before I make the leap. I've tried the Galaxy S22+, and part of what made it so appealing was its light weight compared to its size. Give me an iPhone 15 Pro Max (or more realistically for me, a 16 Pro Max) with a comparable weight and I'll love it.
There will be a reduction in weight, but how much? by 40%? As rumors says, iPhone 15 Pro Max will have a bigger battery and..

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Lea...ro-image-highlights-five-differences_id148986

According to this article iPhone 15 Pro Max will be slightly thicker than the current generation iPhone pro series, so that might add some extra ounces. Being an iPhone 12 Pro Max users. I do feel the weight, but it's not a problem for me. If iPhone 15 Pro Max (which I am planning to buy), if it is few ounces heaver than iPhone 12 Pro Max, because of bigger battery, I won't even notice it. That much weight is not a deal breaker for me, It's not something that will hurt my wrist or rupture my jeans pocket.

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 8.29.52 PM.png

I don't own an 800$ Apple Watch ultra. Its a human tendency that, when a person spends so much $$ on wearables they expect the crowd to notice it.
Perhaps if you base your buying habits off of what you believe other people will perceive you have or have not.

A $20,000 Panerai most “ordinary” people will not even notice or likely won’t even know it is a company. You can buy $3000 pens that people won’t look at twice.

I also personally don’t care what others think I have. I’ll admit to caring what I have (though I shouldn’t), but again I don’t care about others perception of that.

Last edited:
There will be a reduction in weight, but how much? by 40%? As rumors says, iPhone 15 Pro Max will have a bigger battery and..

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Lea...ro-image-highlights-five-differences_id148986

According to this article iPhone 15 Pro Max will be slightly thicker than the current generation iPhone pro series, so that might add some extra ounces. Being an iPhone 12 Pro Max users. I do feel the weight, but it's not a problem for me. If iPhone 15 Pro Max (which I am planning to buy), if it is few ounces heaver than iPhone 12 Pro Max, because of bigger battery, I won't even notice it. That much weight is not a deal breaker for me, It's not something that will hurt my wrist or rupture my jeans pocket.

View attachment 584492
It's hard to say for sure, but titanium is clearly lighter than steel. The Apple Watch Ultra is only 10 grams heavier than the steel 45mm Series 8 despite a significantly larger case, a huge battery and additional tech. The iPhone 15 Pro won't be that much bigger than its predecessor, and a new battery won't add that much weight. I could see a middle ground where it's slightly lighter than the 14 Pro despite a larger profile and battery.

Bring it!
The shiny SS is a fingerprint magnet and shows scratches easily.
My Ultra looks great and I don't baby it at all!
Most keep their phones in a case so no worries.
If the (iPhone 15 Ultra) or whatever they call it was made like the Watch Ultra with the curved sides and flat glass made of sapphire a case wouldn't even be necessary!

I personally don't give a shit.

My big issue with the iPhone since the squared off redesign of the 12 is that it isn't comfortable to hold. I just want the physical design to be rounded off again more than anything else. My 11 Pro is my favorite design of all time. Just a shame it didn't have the 120hz display. I would likely still be rocking the 11 Pro if it was 120hz.

It's hard to say for sure, but titanium is clearly lighter than steel. The Apple Watch Ultra is only 10 grams heavier than the steel 45mm Series 8 despite a significantly larger case, a huge battery and additional tech. The iPhone 15 Pro won't be that much bigger than its predecessor, and a new battery won't add that much weight. I could see a middle ground where it's slightly lighter than the 14 Pro despite a larger profile and battery.

That's a welcome news, reduced weight will make it more durable. Though the weight of my iPhone 12 Pro Max, is not a problem for me. But in its lifetime it fell thrice and every time it falls, it gives me a heart attack because I can feel something heavy falling on the ground.

I don't own an 800$ Apple Watch ultra. Its a human tendency that, when a person spends so much $$ on wearables they expect the crowd to notice it.

Caring what others think is a personal issue that should be worked on. The ultra watch as it is today is, in my opinion, just ugly and overly large unless the wearer is considerably larger than I am. I am hoping the next version does something about that as I would love to upgrade my black stainless to the ultra for use as a backup dive computer. As for the materials the phone is made from ... If it makes the phone lighter, stronger or function better then I'm all for it. My phones live in a Otterbox so ascetically I could not care less.

Last edited:
I can't wear most watches so the watch discussion doesn't really matter to me. Personally, I'd rather most people don't notice what I'm wearing as I'd prefer not to be a thief magnet.

If Apple or Samsung or whatever company can make a phone durable enough to not need a case I wouldn't mind it looking nice but until then no one notices my phone or what kind of metal it uses. All they see is the case...

For being something that will only last a few years due to the integrated battery, the Apple Watch ultra isn't worth the price IMO. It's disposable electronics. It isn't a Rolex, or even a quartz Seiko.

Well Smartwatches are dominating this world over classic wrist watch. The time of classic wrist watches will be soon over. Earlier i was under the impression that Apple watch ultra is the most expensive wrist watch (if we only count smartwatches), but I discovered that Hermes Edition is the most expensive of all.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-hermes/

Moving back to the topic Titanium is light weight but its not a premium metal as I anticipated earlier.

Last edited:
For being something that will only last a few years due to the integrated battery, the Apple Watch ultra isn't worth the price IMO. It's disposable electronics. It isn't a Rolex, or even a quartz Seiko.
I'd disagree if you're using it as intended. Garmin, Polar and other brands sell fitness watches this expensive, and they're often hobbled as general smartwatches. Think of this as buying a tool watch (that is, a watch built for function more than jewelry) that just happens to do a lot more.

You can have Apple replace the battery, although right now the OS updates don't persist long enough for that to usually be necessary. Apple is only just dropping support for the Series 3 this year.

Well Smartwatches are dominating this world or classic wrist watch. The time of classic wrist watches will be soon over. Earlier i was under the impression that Apple watch ultra is the most expensive wrist watch (if we only count smartwatches), but I discovered that Hermes Edition is the most expensive of all.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-hermes/

Moving back to the topic Titanium is light weight but its not a premium metal as I anticipated earlier.
Conventional watches aren't going away, at least not any time soon. Smartwatches mainly pose a threat to high-end quartz and entry-level mechanical watches like those from Timex, Tissot and Swatch. The proposition becomes murkier when you get into luxury watches, even in the four-digit price range. Someone considering a Cartier Tank or Tudor Black Bay probably isn't going to cross-shop with Apple Watches, even though they could easily afford to buy a new model every few years.

With that said, we also have yet to see how the generational shift affects watch sales. Hodinkee said it well several years ago. Sure, someone in their 30s now may buy a Rolex to say that they've "made it," but what about 20 years later when there are 30-somethings who've spent all their adult lives wearing smartwatches? I still think traditional watches will stick around, but there's a chance they may be limited to the more expensive options (Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe and the like).

Someone considering a Cartier Tank or Tudor Black Bay probably isn't going to cross-shop with Apple Watches, even though they could easily afford to buy a new model every few years.
Consider also that most high end watch wearers own several watches. They very well may wear a smartwatch at times, an Omega other times and a Patek at yet others. Also, keep in mind a good watch winder costs more than an Apple watch.

Consider also that most high end watch wearers own several watches. They very well may wear a smartwatch at times, an Omega other times and a Patek at yet others. Also, keep in mind a good watch winder costs more than an Apple watch.
I own an omega and a Blancpain. I’ll never own more though. It’s mostly so I have one to wear while the other may be out for servicing which these days can take 4-6 months.

Back