What's Your Home Security Setup?

fn9

Weaksauce
Just curious what kind of setups people are using. It's on the fringe, but I would also consider backup as part of a security plan.

I'm using Avast Free along with EaseUS Todo Backup free. Avast seems to be doing a good job, but just in case, I've got a "starter" image along with an incrementally updated image that I can restore to.

Care to share your setup?

Synch my Library to my office workstation using Windows MESH, keeping a copy with Skydrive too.

Make an image of my laptop maybe once a year

WPA2 wireless security

Antivirus for home rigs is MSE

Nothing fancy..do this sh|t for work..last thing I want to do when I get home is more of this sh|t...I just wanna relax and use it.

MSE for AV. All files stored on server and backed up nighlty to a NAS and crashplan. Untangle for filtering. Mokrotik for routing. Two seperate wireless networks. One for guests and one for internal. Each on their subnet via vlans. Internal had wpa2 password. Guest one is open but has a hotspot password.

3 vms

Mint for general browsing & email, openSUSE for homebanking, and Ubuntu for.. umm "videos":D. All on a Windows 7 machine with MSE. I didn't install Chrome or Firefox on the windows machine to discipline myself, and hid the IE shortcut. If any of the the vm's start getting fishy I delete and make a new one.

Network firewalled behind my router.
PC's connected via direct ethernet or power line ethernet only. Mobile/portable devices and game consoles connect via WPA2 protected wireless.
MSE installed on all PCs and laptops.
All important data is backed-up to a separate drive my main PC, which in turn backs up to my server in another room, so the catastrophic failure of one of them won't take all my backups with it. The server in turn backs up to Carbonite for off-site storage in case of disaster or theft.

I took it as in literal security, so I'll list that too.

I have an alarm system which I'm paying for monitoring, it also has one smoke detector and flood sensor, which is nice as it gives me piece of mind that I would be contacted in that event.

I've been brainstorming the possibility of adding IP cameras around and outside the house. After putting a cheap web cam up in my attic to monitor a mouse trap, I realized that the -15C temp min that most cameras have is not that accurate, as that cheap web cam worked fine up there in -40's. So that opens up my options for outdoor cameras. My only concern is I don't want it to look like I'm paranoid, so I need to find cameras that are small and blend in. I like dome cameras but they don't seem to be that popular for some reason, or are ridiculously big.

Inside the house it's a bit easier as I can just kinda hide a few cameras around. I don't really need to oversee the entire house, as a robber would most likely walk in all rooms. So I will probably add one in my office pointing at the door, and one in the basement overseeing most of it.

As for network security, I have a pfsense firewall, and I occasionally take a look at it for any weird traffic. My wireless and any "untrusted" devices are also put on a separate physical interface, and I only let certain ports communicate with the rest of the network.

For backups, I have lot of bash scripts to move files to a backup folder on my raid. I also have a removable drive dock, and I run a backup on that every now and then. Each backup drive has a file on it to designate the "job" that disk is for. When I pop the drive in, I run a script that runs the appropriate job. All my backups send me email notices.

I also have a PO box which I bring those backup drives to every now and then, maybe once a month or so. I also have a script to push some of the very most important stuff to my online server, but given my internet bandwidth, I can't really be backing up my entire environment.

Back