• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

whats your favorite WC

greyghost

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
166
What 's you favorite water cooler out there?
I am going to go with the H2O
what do you think of the koolance exos?
 
all of us real [H]ard fellas here would advise a good air cooling solution for 50$ over any WC kit.

if you wanna go water you go full out with quality parts.

danger-den or d-tek...
 
I just entered the WC scene by winning Hydrocool 200 at a LAN event, and well, it works perfectly.

My p4 2.6C @ 3.4Ghz running stable at 25C idle, 28.5C full load,

simple easy installation, easily movable.... love it :)
 
Originally posted by The Donut
I just entered the WC scene by winning Hydrocool 200 at a LAN event, and well, it works perfectly.

My p4 2.6C @ 3.4Ghz running stable at 25C idle, 28.5C full load,


Bullshit! I call Bullshit!

Unless your computer room is kept at 60f or below with airconditioning all the time, these are absurd temps. 25C is room temperature (ambient) for some of us. Even if your idle temps were that low, I sincerly doubt your Hydrocool could manage a 3.5 degree rise at full load on a P4 overclocked like that.

Bullshit I say!
 
Originally posted by greyghost
What 's you favorite water cooler out there?
I am going to go with the H2O
what do you think of the koolance exos?

dont buy a kit.
 
Originally posted by Unoid
all of us real [H]ard fellas here would advise a good air cooling solution for 50$ over any WC kit.

if you wanna go water you go full out with quality parts.

danger-den or d-tek...

Most of you [H]ard fellas would be wrong...Just look at the review that this [H]ard site gave...

The koolance kit is a great kit and look how well it performs in recent reviews. With the new Koolance CPU blocks the kit will keep up with a majority of custom setups out there. They are easy to install and all the equipment is outside of the case to keep things even cooler.

If the original thread starter decides to go with the koolance just make sure you get their latest CPU block. Also take a look at the Zalman Reserator for complete silence. The coole works great. It keeps my 3Ghz P4 @ 3.75 with 1.675 volts at a steady 114-116F under full load. I am very happy and pleased with those results but then again I may not be [H]ard enough. Funny thing is I have been visiting HardOCP.com even before they had their own domain name and were a spin off of another site many years ago...
 
um niether of those systems can hang with a decent custom system. not by a long shot. My p4 @ 4ghz with 1.75vcore idles at 83F and loads at 95. I laugh at the koolance and zalman.
 
Oh god here we go again....

Let's not make this another Koolance/DIY bashing thread please? It makes us all look like retarded monkeys throwing our feces at each other, so to speak.
 
ok should I go with a custom (I am not taking one side or the other) what parts would I need? Is danger den and dtek really quality parts?



*bump
 
Originally posted by greyghost
ok should I go with a custom (I am not taking one side or the other) what parts would I need? Is danger den and dtek really quality parts?



*bump

It's all a matter of personal taste and no sides. Those are quality parts. PolarFLO is also nice and the blocks I would go with. If you plan on just cooling your CPU any single DD radiator will do but if you plan on cooling more that then look into the dual radiators. The parts you need all depends on how you want to set your system up. Are you looking to cool more than your CPU and do you want to keep the pump and res on the outside? Is space in your case a concern? Plan it out well before hand and it will save you lots of time and ensure you get what you want.
 
well right now those are the best you can get, along with silverprop and swiftech. I have a feeling im forgetting a huge name, someone help me out here......

For the cpu block, the best you can get is a cascade from this guy named cathar, but hes not making them anymore. So I would go with the Dangerden RBX (my choice) or the Dtek Whitewater (originally designed by cathar and liscensed to dtek customs).

Pump wise, go swiftech mcw600 or whatever it is, eheim 1250, or anything iwaki if u have the money (bug $$)
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
Bullshit! I call Bullshit!

Unless your computer room is kept at 60f or below with airconditioning all the time, these are absurd temps. 25C is room temperature (ambient) for some of us. Even if your idle temps were that low, I sincerly doubt your Hydrocool could manage a 3.5 degree rise at full load on a P4 overclocked like that.

Bullshit I say!

Idle

corsair_idle.jpg


Load

corsair_full.jpg


Please note the IDLE was taken this morning, room temperature was 21C ambient. The LOAD picture was also taken with room/ambient at 23C.

P4 2.6C @ 3.4Ghz, Mushkin PC3500 4x256MB,
 
Originally posted by The Donut
Idle

corsair_idle.jpg


Load

corsair_full.jpg


Please note the IDLE was taken this morning, room temperature was 21C ambient. The LOAD picture was also taken with room/ambient at 23C.

P4 2.6C @ 3.4Ghz, Mushkin PC3500 4x256MB,

MORON.

I quote the [H] review of the same unit
LED Temperature Display:

The temperature read out on the front of the Hydrocool 200 never displayed above 98°F even though the temperature of the CPU was hovering around 140°F during testing. The reason for this is fairly self explanatory, the temperature reading is taken from the probe that is epoxied to the back of the water block and it simply is not placed any where near where it should be. This is simply bad design and we think it could possibly lead people astray.

If you really think 25C is what your PROCESSOR is running at, then you need serious help. At best those are water temperatures. What are your MBM temps? You know, that program that tells you SOCKET cpu temperatures, and NOT the temperatures at the BACK of the waterblock where is nowhere near your processor...

*cough* idiot *cough*
 
The IC7-MAX3 is known for being 10-12c above what it actually reports due to the way it calculates the temperature.

MBM and HMonitor both show the CPU running at 36.5c idle, 41c full load.

Also, by lowering to personal insults you yourself just proved to everyone reading that you are, infact the idiot.

Edit: I'm not instigating an argument, I'm new to watercooling, i won this kit for free and am very happy with it. Whether it be a few degrees of or not, its better than the air solution I had.
 
Originally posted by greyghost
What 's you favorite water cooler out there?
I am going to go with the H2O
what do you think of the koolance exos?

You will find the Koolance to be the easiest path for a first time water cooled system. It comes assembled so all you do is put your goods inside the case and your done. Plus you will run much cooler than any air cooled solution. It's a good first time buy that's for sure.

Now you can do much better with a kit from Dtek or Danger Den but must assemble it all yourself and run a much higher risk of leak if great care isn't taken.
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
Bullshit! I call Bullshit!

Unless your computer room is kept at 60f or below with airconditioning all the time, these are absurd temps. 25C is room temperature (ambient) for some of us. Even if your idle temps were that low, I sincerly doubt your Hydrocool could manage a 3.5 degree rise at full load on a P4 overclocked like that.

Bullshit I say!


The Donut
Location: Ontario, Canada ;)

bwhahahahaha if he doesnt run his heater he'd probably
get better temps than that.
:D
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
MORON.

I quote the [H] review of the same unit


If you really think 25C is what your PROCESSOR is running at, then you need serious help. At best those are water temperatures. What are your MBM temps? You know, that program that tells you SOCKET cpu temperatures, and NOT the temperatures at the BACK of the waterblock where is nowhere near your processor...

*cough* idiot *cough*
calm down, you proved your point to him, but the rest of the comments were unnescasary. Whenever I get the urge to type something like that, I type it out, and then click the x button on the window instead of submiting it.
 
Originally posted by archevilangel
calm down, you proved your point to him, but the rest of the comments were unnescasary. Whenever I get the urge to type something like that, I type it out, and then click the x button on the window instead of submiting it.

I try to be nice when I comment in general, but this poor sap still believes his Abit board reads 15degrees too high and the Corsair unit which has a poorly placed thermal probe is giving him the correct temperatures. I just wanted him to get the message, and quite possible make him re-think his statements. Insted when he fires right back at me insulting general common sense, so I believe my comments are justified.

Does the Abit read as much as 15 degrees too high? 10 even? No. It's a common myth that exists through people spreading it on forums such as this. It is true that Abit does tend to read a LITTLE high because of the placement of the thermistor which buts up next to a mobo chip that produces heat. It doesnt *magically* "calculate" temps wrong because it behaves just like every other thermistor on the planet. Does this chip give readings 10-15 degrees higher? No. Do some googling and forum searching over at overclockers and procooling and see what Cathar has to say on the subject ;). I would believe 5 degrees at the most, just the same as all other people who have spent time and effort researching this very situation. If you think that just because your corsair and its BADLY placed probe give you results at 25c, then you need a serious kick in the head and some common sense. Even top watercooling systems with top of the line dual 120mm radiators and great pumps can barely cool within a couple degrees of ambient.

You are exactly right Donut, the Corsair unit is perfect for people new to watercooling who want something that performs better than air in most situations. Thats all.
 
ABit already stated the the IC7-MAX3 calculates the temperatures differently than standard thermistors, and also admitted the common 8-12 degree inaccuracy.

I'm not going to argue on here, it's pointless and it's someone elses thread.
 
Originally posted by OneMadPoptart
Bullshit! I call Bullshit!

Unless your computer room is kept at 60f or below with airconditioning all the time, these are absurd temps. 25C is room temperature (ambient) for some of us. Even if your idle temps were that low, I sincerly doubt your Hydrocool could manage a 3.5 degree rise at full load on a P4 overclocked like that.

Bullshit I say!

I believe the term is "shens", ya nooblet!
 
I would say to stay away from kits (no i wont fight or argue or be immature this is just my own personal opinion), I have seen that the best kit is still worse then the BEST air cooling soln. I would suggest you get yourself a Whitewater or RBX block, an Eheim1250 or Danner Mag3 pump, and a heatercore.

As for you G, we don't live in igloos up here in Ontario, our temperatures get just as hot as most places in central USA.
 
Hehe I love OneMadPopTart.... hes sooo funny :D yea but i doubt that setup could get a temp of under 26c im running right now 2 swiftech blocks black ice 2 xtreme rad and a black ice micro x in par... both with delta's on them that 134cfm each.. and my load is like 29c but thats on a 3200+ i can get it down to umm about 3-4c ....but i got to put ice in my res :(
 
ohh and my favourite watercooling... i might get a flame up the ass but swiftech.. i just like them cause they are big and blue :D
 
What about the d-tek kit?

The d-tek and dangerden kits, are basically the same items you would build in a custom kit, with a slight discount.

I would advise getting an decent/upgraded pump, and getting the rbx or whitewater block.

I also advise getting 1/2 id.

Just shop around for the parts individually and compare prices with these kits.
 
ok ok this has turned out to be an informative and somewhat entertaining (poptart and donut) thread

I guess the parts I would be looking for is a waterblock for
CPU (socket 478) waterblock for nvidia graphics card, and
some sort of block for the raptor (maybe). Along with a
resevoir, radiator, and pump.
What is a RBX block - brand name? or acronym?

Is this correct?



I am looking for some visual appeal (creative and functional
award to the guy with a $70 walmart mini-fridge attached -
not my style though) and they ever evasive silent pc status,
not big into oc'ing, I do like having around 30C load (previous
system air cooled)
but my current 2.4c @2.7 air cooled 45C idle (by the way it is also
shoved into a wooden filing cabinet butted up against a wall)
is not good enough for me
I feel that it should also be external such as exos because
everything inside is already a tight fit plus it is attractive
somewhat
 
I would reccomend you get ( for best cost/performance ratio ):

1 ) Maze4 CPU block ( dangerden.com )
2 ) eheim 1250 pump
3 ) some 1/2" inner diameter ( ID ) tubing. the dangerden clearflex 60 works well.
4 ) Maze4 GPU block for nVidia ( dangerden.com )
5 ) heatercore and fan shroud ( dangerden has them )
6 ) reservoir is optional ( hell, make one out of a water jug )
7 ) get clamps that will clamp the tubing.
8 ) a fan
9 ) anti-freeze, to keep out algea.

with that stuff, you should be good.
 
ok this is what I am thinking
rbx waterblock with lucite top
eheim 1250
1/2 id hoses
maze4 block for nvidia
resevior undecided on which one
now I want you guys opinions, do I go with the black ice extreme
or thermochill he120.x?

edit: is a chipset block advised?
 
If you have both the money, and the space to fit one, the thermochill 120.2 radiator is quite possibly the best commercial radiator out there, and will keep your temps nice and low. Maybe not Donut "low", but low enough to be the envy of most computer users out there.

If thats a little to pricey, the dual heatercore from dangerden would work too if you have the space to fit a dual 120mm radiator. As far as single radiators go, both the thermochill 120.1 and the Black Ice Xtreme are very good. Since the RBX works best with high flowrates (and the #5 nozzle if you want to get and install that too...), then maybe the dangerden single heatercore or the Dtek Procore radiators will be a better fit. They have lower restrictions than the thermochill and the BIX.

Other than that the system looks nice. Consider the bayres for a reservoir. Be forewarned: They do leak if you install them incorrectly, so if you go that route use plenty of teflon tape and check for leaks carefully. The same goes for all your other components as well. Also don't forget to get other things that you need like hoseclamps, waterwetter (or some other additive) and the proper fittings if you need them.

[Edit] Is a chipset block needed? Nope:D It might help you overclock a bit more and it would get rid of a fan in your system, but it would put a bit of heat into your water which lowers the cooling capacity for the CPU and GPU. It also tends to be restrictive which raises your temps too. It's really up to you whether you want to spend the extra 40$ to get a chipset waterblock. Personally, I think my Zchip looks pretty nifty with my Maze4 GPU and RBX... [/Edit]

-OMP
 
Personally, I'd go with a Swiftech kit, they look cool, perform well and you don't have to remove your mobo for either the CPU or northbridge blocks :D
 
Originally posted by thewhiteguy
Personally, I'd go with a Swiftech kit, they look cool, perform well and you don't have to remove your mobo for either the CPU or northbridge blocks :D

Now what kind of [H] watercooling solution is that? Not removing the mobo.... bah!

Swiftech kits are nice, but they typically underperform compaired to Dangerden or Dtek because swifty uses 3/8'' ID tubing rather than 1/2'', leading to lower flowrates and pressure through the system. Then add the price of a basic swifty kit and its small radiator to the equation, and dangerden and dtek come out on top in terms of price and performance. Just my .02cents...
 
I think that you will find the new Swiftech block performs as well as the Dtek white water and Danger Den RBX. And its only $39.99...my vote is for Swiftech kitsReview
 
OneMadPoptart said:
Oh god here we go again....

Let's not make this another Koolance/DIY bashing thread please? It makes us all look like retarded monkeys throwing our feces at each other, so to speak.

hey guys :D
 
Lothar5150 said:
I think that you will find the new Swiftech block performs as well as the Dtek white water and Danger Den RBX. And its only $39.99...my vote is for Swiftech kitsReview


while im not going to argue against swiftech (as much as i dont like them) i AM going to say


DONT GET A KIT

DONT GET A KIT

DONT GET A KIT


I dont care if its a Dtek or DD kit, DONT GET A KIT. Pick out your own damn parts.
 
kronchev- Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion but I think that Swiftech makes great products. Arguably, in the past, their performance was just under that of Dtek and DD; however, the quality has always been superb.

With that said, it personally think that any kit is great for a first time users. However, I would stay away from the current external units if you want better than air cooling performance.
 
Unoid said:
all of us real [H]ard fellas here would advise a good air cooling solution for 50$ over any WC kit.

Now that is funny! [H] means to the extreme which watercooling is.

My vote Dtek or a hand made Cathar block (if you can find one).
 
screw kits i was water cooling 6 years ago with a fish tank and custom built water block..if your going to go water cooling....do it right and do not buy a kit
 
Some of you are saying not to buy a kit, even if you go Danger Den or DTek. Well, when ordering a kit from either of these companies, you have many options and can configure it to suit your needs. I can understand telling someone not to buy a kit such as the Iceberg 1 or some other cheap ass kit, but when buying from Danger Den or DTek, there's nothing wrong with a kit. Even though Swiftech makes some good blocks, their kits do suck in my opinion.

Personally, I would have to promote Danger Den, especially their new TDX block. As far as radiators go, I am still a fan of DTek's original ProCore heatercore. If you are low on cash, go to the junkyard and pull a similar one from a car.
 
Back
Top