• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's your favorite mp3 player software?

Tac0

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2004
Messages
181
Creative Play Center, Nero Media Player, WMP, Winamp, and whatever freeware that's out there...what's your fave and why?
 
Foobar2000! Winamp is also pretty decent with ASIO or kernel streaming.
 
I also love Foobar2000. I won't ever consider using Winamp agian untill it atleast supports ReplayGain.
 
thanks for the info guys...lame question:

can't get the eq to display (I have the dsp dll's loaded). Doesn't show up anywhere on the controls? wtf...thx
 
DOH! I found that control right after I posted the question...I shoulda known ;)

Not used to this format player...no "skin" to deal with and very limited "control buttons"...gotta fish around a little I guess.

Thanks for the help, guys. This actually looks like it's a very flexible proggie.
 
Taco:

Here's some good resources for adding features / prettying up foobar


http://foobar.nub4life.net/columns/ - more foobar2000 formatting strings, this time for columnsUI, an alternate user interface, with columns [!]

http://www.barciaonline.com/aural/foobarlooks/foobarlooks.htm skins for foobar, if it looks too plain for you, even after formatting strings and stuff.

http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/
http://www.cqasys.com/projects/kode54/index.php
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uzbs/fb2k/html/

^^Pages with the best of the plugins.
 
Thanks for the goood linkage BO(V)BZ...and thank you for serving your country!
 
Ok, first post in the Audio section and I'm probably gonna get chewed up and spit out. To answer the original question. iTunes is my fave mp3 software. Mainly 'cause I have an iPod.
 
corrosive23 said:
wasnt the van braun the ship from system shock 2? :D

Exactly =] System Shock 2 is a fucking brilliant game. Gimme til the end of the summer, and I'll post some pics of my SHODAN case I'm working on =]
 
[H]alcyon441 said:
Ok, first post in the Audio section and I'm probably gonna get chewed up and spit out. To answer the original question. iTunes is my fave mp3 software. Mainly 'cause I have an iPod.

foobar2000 has an Ipod sync plugin, so you don't have to use that apple stuff if you don't want =] Can't say I've really tooled around with Itunes much tho, does it have any cool or unique features?
 
Wow! For this whole time I swore by Winamp, but it seems that Foobar2000 is also getting some attention. I saw it installed on my friend's system but I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Oh yeah, System Shock 2 was a really scary game for some reason, I think it has to do with the fact that you can no longer outrun monsters.
 
I'm sure about unique, but smart playlists are kind of nice. And it burns, rips and organizes, tags etc. It's nice even if you don't have an ipod. Real good all-in-one solution.
 
Itunes seems good for people who don't like to fool around much with their audio players, unlike foobar =]

System Shock 2 was scary, mostly because your charactor was a big pussy and died like crazy...and the sound in that game is incredible. The Many, Xerxes, SHODAN, whenever they talked I always jumped, and hid in a corner =]

EDIT: Itunes seems like a memory hog: I just loaded up the files I brought with to work, about 2500 songs, and it's taking up 50MB, and scrolling is herky-jerky at best. foobar, on this same PC takes 10MB. At home, where I have about 25000 songs and 6 playlists open all the time, foobar takes 33MB RAM.
 
Also do a quick search on footunes (or maybe foo_tunes). It adds iTunes-like functionality to foobar2000.
 
splooger said:
What advantages do these programs have over WMP? I've only ever used WMP.
Foobar allows for a few changes that greatly improve audio quality, and it has a few features that Windows Media Player doesent have. WMP is "dumbed down" for the average consumer. I too used to use WMP, till I found Foobar with Kernel streaming. Also from what I have heard, WMP records everything you play and sends the results to a MS database.
 
Imagine any feature you'd want in a player, and that is pretty much what foobar is, combined with total customizability. The only thing that foobar can't do, and I really mean just about the only thing that I can think of, is rip CD's. Foobar has 3 or 4 very nice GUI's, each one that you can customize yourself, a host of cool plugins, it supports about 35 audio formats, it has tabbed playlists, it has a great database, it it fairly memory efficient, it has great DSP's, the best tagging support I've seen, freeBD interaction, replaygain support, and plenty of other things that I won't bother listing =]
 
I would like to start using Foobar 2000 what version should I use? Can anyone point me to a good guide for beginers on how to customize and skin Foobar?
 
Olaf:

First off, do to www.foobar2000.org and under the download section, get the 'special' installer. That version comes with a metric fuckload of plugins, just do a complete installation. After that, I'd head over to:


http://foobar.nub4life.net/columns/ - more foobar2000 formatting strings, this time for columnsUI, an alternate user interface, with columns [!]

http://www.barciaonline.com/aural/f...foobarlooks.htm skins for foobar, if it looks too plain for you, even after formatting strings and stuff.

http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/
http://www.cqasys.com/projects/kode54/index.php
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uzbs/fb2k/html/

^^Pages with the best of the plugins.


Columns UI is a good user interface that has some nice 'skins', and foo_looks adds actual skin support, but I've never used it so I don't know too much about it. If you look in the preferences, you'll see an absurd amount of options, but if you take your time, you'll be able to figure it out fairly fast. The best thing is that you'll continually find new things about foobar.. I just realized there is a plugin that lets you write tags to a file by assigning hotkeys to that, so I can add my own custom tags to files with 1 button.

Anyways, get it installed, if you have any questions, feel free and ask.

I'll do what I can tomorrow to get a FAQ written up on foobar for the proto-FAQ GMC is making.
 
foobar will not increase the quality of your mp3s. the fact is my friends, mp3s are lossy and their quality sucks. all the tweaking in the world won't save you from those 128bit mp3s u dl from kazaa.
 
?

I don't remember anyone stating that.

Foobar can bypass the kmixer though, with the ASIO plugin, as can winamp, so you can get better quality. Plus, not everyone gets shitty rips, or even lossy files in the first place. On top of that, foobar can add some nice DSP's, which can subjectively increase SQ.
 
BO(V)BZ said:
?

I don't remember anyone stating that.

Foobar can bypass the kmixer though, with the ASIO plugin, as can winamp, so you can get better quality. Plus, not everyone gets shitty rips, or even lossy files in the first place. On top of that, foobar can add some nice DSP's, which can subjectively increase SQ.

dont forget the built-in Kernal Streaming. It's sounds like it's almost exactly like ASIO.. so whats the difference?
 
FanZ said:
dont forget the built-in Kernal Streaming. It's sounds like it's almost exactly like ASIO.. so whats the difference?

ASIO is desined to have lower latency, but that produces higher cpu usage.
 
On my p4 in sig, ASIO CPU usage is about 3-5%, and KS is the same damn thing. Directsound 2.0 goes from 0-6%. I've got a semi-pro level sound card, so it might be the driver eating up extra cycles, as before my CPU usage on my GTXP barely registered. Either way, it's not like 3% is that big a deal =]
 
infiniti029 said:
foobar will not increase the quality of your mp3s. the fact is my friends, mp3s are lossy and their quality sucks. all the tweaking in the world won't save you from those 128bit mp3s u dl from kazaa.

I don't believe anyone mentioned 128kbps MP3's or downloading anything off of kazaa.
 
I'm a semi-happy user of foobar. But I find that even for my tastes it looks to simplstic on the outside, yet is too complicated underneath.





saturnine2 said:
Foobar allows for a few changes that greatly improve audio quality, and it has a few features that Windows Media Player doesent have. WMP is "dumbed down" for the average consumer. I too used to use WMP, till I found Foobar with Kernel streaming. Also from what I have heard, WMP records everything you play and sends the results to a MS database.

I've been using foobar for months and would like to tap into these features. Can you explain how to change the settings to get better sound quality, or is there a guide to do so?
 
Agent: Look in the foobar prefs under playback > output. That will list all the output plugins you have. If you see kernal streaming, select that output and give it a try. It doesn't work [IIRC] with every last sound card in the world, but it has worked with all the ones I've tried. If you don't have that, get the foobar special installer at:
http://www.foobar2000.org/foobar2000_0.8.2_special.exe

That includes the KS plugin... Just install that on top of your existing foobar dir, it won't kill your playlists or overwrite any pref changes. Just make sure you remember to install the KS plugin, because foobar remembers what you installed earlier and will just install that stuff again, unless you select the full install option, or manually add KS to the list.

Also, you using any fancy playlist scripts, or the columns_ui GUI? I know of several ways to 'pretty up' foobar =]
 
foobar.png



Here's what foobar looks like for me, after I configured it. Normally, I'd have more tabs, but at work I don't have too much music =[
 
I have got to learn how to really use foobar. Compared to yours, my foobar is fugly.
 
If anyone wants, I can throw my copy of foobar on my webspace. Just extract it to some dir, run fooassoc.exe if you wish [this lets you choose which files to associate with foobar, so you can have it open MP3z, etc instead of WMP or winamp] and you're done.

I can also explain what those extra columns I added at the end are too =]
 
Where do you put the dll files? In the Foobar2000 dir or the Foobar2000/components dir?
 
BO(V)BZ said:
If anyone wants, I can throw my copy of foobar on my webspace. Just extract it to some dir, run fooassoc.exe if you wish [this lets you choose which files to associate with foobar, so you can have it open MP3z, etc instead of WMP or winamp] and you're done.

I can also explain what those extra columns I added at the end are too =]

That'd be much appreciated :D
 
Foobar 2000 in Windows, Rhythmbox in Linux. I think I should just install Foobar in Linux and run it through Wine.
 
WinAmp5 with the Java theme. Good looks, basic music player. Using the official plug ins for flac, ape, ogg, then just simple hardware accelerated DirectSound output. I tried Foobar2000, it's a nice player, but too complicated when I want to throw on some music and enjoy it rather than spend so much time setting things up for maybe a little better output.
 
Does anyone know of some decent image hosting? Evidently the one I found wasn't worth crap.
 
Back
Top