What's Wrong?

[F8]

Gawd
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me. Around Christmas time I built a system for my uncle using the gigabyte P35-DS3L and a dual core cpu (cannot remember the exact cpu). From the very beginning, I noticed that the cpu fan did not immediately start spinning when the system was powered up. All the other system fans would start and then when the system beeped and posted, the fan started spinning. I found this strange compared to all the systems that I have built, but thought it might be the "smart fan" feature. My uncle called me today, and the system no longer posts, no beeps, nothing. You turn it on, and theres the delay before the cpu fan spins, then it shuts off, and repeats, like it's stuck in a loop. I've pulled the battery, reset cmos, disconnected hard drive and cdrom, unplugged all periphs besides the keyboard, and have the same problem. I'm guessing there's only 3 things it could be, mobo, cpu, or psu. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Thanks!

My DS3L does the same thing when using the retail cooler. These boards do have a 'feature' where they reboot in a manner similar to what you're saying when there's a problem with the CPU or memory settings. Can you try swapping ram around maybe? What are the other specs of this system?

My X38 motherboard does the same with the CPU fan.
I disabled fan control in the CMOS anyway so its on 100% all the time.

Is there definitely a mini loudspeaker connected to the motherboard?

I tried running with only one stick of ram, but wouldn't I get error beeps with bad ram? I tend to think it's cpu or mobo.

Beeps are for failure to initialise so there is no function at all when it beeps.
There are other failures which get past initialisation and wont cause a beep.

If you take the ram out you should get beeps.

I don't think there is a speaker built onto the mobo. At least my DS3R uses my case speaker for beep codes.

Finally received RMA, and now about two weeks later, the piece of shit is doing the same thing. I have never used gigabyte and I don't think I ever will again. There are zero beeps, just cycles off and on over and over again.

I've tried two different cpus, power supply. It's weird that it works for a while and then will not turn on. If I take the cpu out, it at least stays on, but still no beeps, just runs a continuous cycle of off and on.

Back