What's wrong with my internet?

ToyYoda03

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't seem to figure this out, PLEASE help me out here.

After surfing for a while, things just seem to time out and nothing will load in IE or firefox, restarting the computer is the only thing that will fix this. Not even reseting the access point or modem fixes it. Now when this happens, I can still talk to people over AIM which is odd...

It's been like this for a week now, and im quite pissed off at it. Ive even reinstalled Windows XP Pro with no luck... None of the other computers in the house seem to suffer from this either.

What could it be?

IceWind said:
Perhaps knowing WHAT your using to get internet would be helpful :p

sorry :p

WRT54G router
comcast RCA cable modem

Im using a Intel Pro/wireless 2200bg card in my laptop

Plug the computer into the router instead of using the wireless card, then we can rule out the wireless connection as the issue. I have to admit it sounds like an odd problem.

Make sure you're not using any proxies. Also it's possible for you're internet connection to stop working properly, as in no webpages, and still maintain connections to other services. Very odd though.

Gav

If comcast is your ISP then they have been having some DNS server troubles these past weeks and that same thing happens to me.

Plugged into the cable modem directly is fine, or is for the amount of time it was connected. I did a hard reset of my router and it seems to be working fine for over an hour, which is longer than it would normally last.

A friend said something about it filling up the nat table, but I dont know exactly what that means.

updating the firmware is hardly going to fix anything. If it was working before, new firware isn't going to help. It's most likely a problem at your isp's end. Ring up and complain.

Gav

Back