What's wrong with my computer

poodlehead

n00b
Hey there. I get really messed up artifact problems with every game I play. I recently put together the system in my signature (like a month ago) and I've been having these problems ever since. Here is a screenshot I just took from FarCry:
farcry0008small5pk.jpg

As you can see, my water texture looks all jumbled with white artifacts all over it, and I get crazy textures shooting all over the screen. The crazy textures start out few in numbers and the more I move around the more they pop up until they fill the screen. I get the exact same horrible texture artifacts when I play Oblivion. World of Warcraft occasionally has funny artifacts popping up as well. I did, however, notice that this doesn't seem to happen when I play on lower settings.

I RMA'ed my original 7900GT CO video card and recieved a new one a few days ago and the problem persists. I assumed my junky RAM could have been doing it so I went ahead and bought the 2GB that's in my sig. Tonight I updated my video card BIOS and I'm running out of ideas. The only thing left that I can think of trying it updating my motherboard BIOS. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? I spent all my cash on this computer and I can't even play my games :(

Thanks for reading.

Have you tried underclocking the core and memory on the video card to see if it fixes the issue?

What temps is the card getting?

Right now my GPU temp is 44 degrees. I'm not sure exactly what it's reaching when I play games. As for underclocking, could that actually be the issue? I'd be kind of annoyed if that were the case. You would think that after paying $400 for a video card you would get one that works.. especially on the second try. Thanks for the reply

How many different driver sets have you tried? That's the only thing I can think of other than bad card (again). I've had to RMA 3 different GF4 cards and I've had first hand experience with two GF3 ti200's die with either ram corruption or shorting themselves out sitting in someones computer. It's entirely possible.

I've tried about 4 different driver sets. I'm currently using the newest one put out by eVGA. And a quick update: I did just try underclocking it way down and the crazy artifacts that cover my screen seem to have gone away (through my 1 minute of testing before I head to bed) but Oblivion doesn't run as smoothly. I also tried FarCry for a minute and the white alrtifact glitchy stuff all over the water is still there. Thanks again for the replies.

Might not be it but a suggestion, patch the game? Helped me when I ran into some troubles with farcry. I dont know just a suggestion. Good Luck

if your getting "streak" like artifacting .. that is usually caused by memory being ran faster than it is capable of going ...regardless of what it's "supposed" to do

[F]old|[H]ard

poodlehead said:
Thanks again for the replies. Sounds like I'll need to RMA it again? :confused:

You should read the new [H] article on the 7900's. Very informative. It would defenetely say its a bad card issue.

try running the games without the videocard's drivers installed... or use any other videocard you can test... with would rule out the v/c if the problem goes away.... and underclock the memory and core a little more... at least 100 mhz or so just to make sure. good luck man.. I would be VERY pissed if this happened to me.

Thanks again for the replies. I got another RMA number and I'll mail this video card back on the weekend. I still need to call ncix.com back tomorrow though to bitch about shipping costs because I just realised I'll be damned if I have to pay to ship another video card back to them. I appreciate all the imput. I'll let you guys know what happens when I get my 3rd 7900GT CO. Hopefully I'll have some good news.

Back