What's wrong w/ my desktop? adware did this?

stark

Limp Gawd
I don't like using boards for help, but I'm at the end of my rope!
My comp seems to be affected by "purityscan"...

Running XP pro, it's been screwing up my computer a bit -- from the initial logon screen to distorting my desktop.
I'm not sure if it's directly related or not since purityscan is supposedly just popup malware. Here's an example pic with a default wallpaper:
xzn6.jpg

The "stretched" background is pixilated and the icons/text are no longer transparent.

Whenever I start up my computer it goes sort of slow, the background blinks and everything loads, then Symantic detects it and shows:
Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Threat Found!
Threat: Adware.Purityscan
File: C:\Program Files\s?mbols\svchost.exe
Computer: x
User: x
Action taken: Pending Side Effects Analysis
Date found: x

I've tried the cures for purityscan. Safemode, regedit, HJT, countless scans... but nothing seems to work. I especially don't want to delete svchost.exe even if I could find it.
Any help would be nice, I just can't grasp this bastard -_-;

what programs are you using for removal??? Nm.... symantec

Maybe try a dif. program for removal...

if one doesnt work try the next.

make shure all setting are set at default in xp. ie screen resolution , desktop theme and so on

also go into ad remove programs and check for unwanted files their.

remove temp internet files.

Use basic troubleshooting for virus / malware removel and you should be able to remove it

Ok well I took care of the wallpaper/icon problem
I was messing with display properties earlier, but went in again from the suggestion just to make sure.

Apparently locking items on desktop make it ugly-looking, or maybe it's just for me. So I guess that was unrelated to purityscan.

And thanks for the suggestions, I did pretty much all of them earlier though. I'm using several spy/ad/malware progs, pretty sure they won't cancel each other out.

Back