Whats with the crappy names on cards?

Lsv

Limp Gawd
Can't the companies think of something new after almost 10 years, I mean come on... GeForce and Radeon... Can't they come up with something new after 2 or 3 generations? Even Intel and AMD are following this pattern, AthlonXP goes to Athlon64. Intel is even worse they just add EE to the end of the Pentium to denote it's EExtremely overpriced.

You would think with such large marketing budgets these companies would come up with new names for their products, Marketing 101... New names = more flash = more kiddos buying Dell's shelling out for the new ATI spank name entry card.

Yeah I'm sick of those names too. But they stick to the names because its familiar and has already built a reputation for what it is. Like I know some old people who buys a pentium pc, just because its a pentium. and most go "what the hell is a sempron?"

Sempron64 said:
Yeah I'm sick of those names too. But they stick to the names because its familiar and has already built a reputation for what it is. Like I know some old people who buys a pentium pc, just because its a pentium. and most go "what the hell is a sempron?"

Thats exactly right. Companies spend millions of dollars trying to get brand recognition. Why would they suffer the poor sales and spend all the money again just so they can have a new name. A new name does not equal better sales.

People are afraid of change, they want to go with what they have heard before. A case in point, nothing is a bigger business boon for an auto repair shop than an expose on the local news channel. The see the name on the tv, and only the name sticks in their heads, so when they need to get their cars fixed, they pull out the phone book and call the place they have heard of. It doesn't matter that the shop was just exposed as a fraudulent business, people flock there.

ATi Firepower? Chimaera?

nVidia SuperNova? Phantom? Aura?

Just throwing some out there.

They could name it after foods. You know, like which ones taste better than others.

nVidia Broccoli obviously gets 0wned by the ATi Ham Soup, but the Ham Soup is, in turn, trumped by the nVidia Sausage.

Not everyone follows this stuff. People like going out and seeing something they're vaguely familiar with.

its better for them to keep the same name if they are doing good, you only make a new name if you get a bad rep or something.

and why the hell does it matter. if its a good product who cares what its named.

The series name isn't a big deal. Everyone just calls the cards by model name/number:

x800 Pro
6800 Ultra
7800 GT
x850 XT

Who cares if there's a "Radeon" or "GeForce" in the complete name? Almost no one uses it anyways.

pxc said:
The series name isn't a big deal. Everyone just calls the cards by model name/number:

x800 Pro
6800 Ultra
7800 GT
x850 XT

Who cares if there's a "Radeon" or "GeForce" in the complete name? Almost no one uses it anyways.
Actually, in the real-world, I see people say the full name of their cards, like Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800, but on forums, they don't necessarily use the whole name-scheme. Just the numeric stuff.

whoami said:
Actually, in the real-world, I see people say the full name of their cards, like Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800,
Do they also call all carbonated soft drinks "coke"? :p

Roach said:
I think nvidia should bust out the Voodoo cards again.

yeh 'nvidia banshee GTX' sounds awesome

i think they should take some names off cool cars. how cool does nvidia nuvolari sound? ATI Cobra? nvidia Sagaris?

TheTMan said:
Thats exactly right. Companies spend millions of dollars trying to get brand recognition. Why would they suffer the poor sales and spend all the money again just so they can have a new name. A new name does not equal better sales.

People are afraid of change, they want to go with what they have heard before. A case in point, nothing is a bigger business boon for an auto repair shop than an expose on the local news channel. The see the name on the tv, and only the name sticks in their heads, so when they need to get their cars fixed, they pull out the phone book and call the place they have heard of. It doesn't matter that the shop was just exposed as a fraudulent business, people flock there.

There's a difference between the name of the manufacturer and the items they sell.

I guess I'm just bored of almost 10 years of GeForce and Radeon.

Lsv said:
I guess I'm just bored of almost 10 years of GeForce and Radeon.
Today is the 6 year anniversary of the GeForce name. The original GeForce 256 was announced/shown on Aug 31, 1999. :p Older nvidia cards were called Riva128 and TNT/TNT2 (I don't think the NV1 had a name).

The Radeon came out in April, 2000, so it's not even 5 1/2 years old. ATI called previous cards various "Rage" names.

It hasn't quite been 10 years yet for either.

pxc said:

x800 Pro
6800 Ultra
7800 GT
x850 XT

It's marketing. You might refer to a card by 7800GT or X800 or whatever, but the GeForce or Radeon is marketing. Like YmkFX said, if there was an ATI Chimaera instead of Radeon, it would probably be 10x as appealing so some people. It really doesn't matter to those who are after performance alone, but it does have an effect on some.

Brent_Justice said:
name and brand recognition, it is a very powerful marketing device
Exactly, this is the reason why Intel is sticking with Pentium brand which was originally named as a successor of 486, that is 586, 'Penta' is 5, so instead of going Hexium it goes to Pentium II
Heck, even now sometimes people is still asking me "How fast is your pentium?" :rolleyes:

Rhetoric said:
Not everyone follows this stuff. People like going out and seeing something they're vaguely familiar with.

When blowing $500 or so on a piece of hardware I think people are gonna be looking for something they are familiar with.

when it becomes a trademark, the name will not change only the number next to it, or version, or year (i.e. windows, radeon, pentium, etc). but the problem is that there is so many variants of a particular product (or sub-product) that they don't bother finding *good* names anymore.

They should name them after flowers.

Red Theme:

ATi Bleeding Rose
ATi Demon Tulip
ATi Burning Celosia
ATi Silene virginica

Green Theme:

Nvidia Sprouting Araceae
Nvidia Cycloma Atriplicifolia
Nvidia Matelea Gonocarpa

I don't know if they can trademark the flower name though... :confused:

remember the ATI Devil Monster? yeah, that sounds gay.
how about Nvidia AntiKythera? lol

Who cares about the name of the card. As long as it has 256 ram, its gotta be better then a 128 card! :)

Show me where Intel/AMD change names, sure AMD had duron, but ->

Intels Naming Scheme= Pentium 4
AMDs= Athlon 64, X2, XP

ATI=Radeon 7000, 8500, 9800, X800
nvidia=Geforce 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

None of the companies change their naming scheme, just the suffix model

Chris Lakies said:
Haven't you seen the new reviews on the Nvidia 7800 EXTRA ULTRA Lasagna? :D
Not as good as the 7800 Lima Bean. it got a higher 3dmark score.

Or how bout naming them after different species of fish......like going from a small fish like Nvidia Anchovy (Geforce 2 series) up to the Nvidia Tiger Shark (Geforce 7 series).

Sempron64 said:
Bingo! It's called name brand recognition. It works because the ignorant masses don't want to do the leg work to find out what's truly going on behind the scenes. Usually becuase they're too damn lazy to do so.

they should name their video cards after video cards

they could have the NVIDIA 3DFX Voodoo 5 GeForce 7800 GTX Ultra and the ATI S3 Matrox X850 XT-PE-GT-Pro

Anyone hear of the SmithField? What kind of lame name is that...SmithField. Hey Mr.Smith how about going to play some baseball on the Field near by. Top Marketing Naming geniuses at Intel: Wow we just found a new name for our dual core...Smith and Field...SmithField!! HOOHAH!

pxc said:

I don't know what you are trying to get at,... but yes, where I live, many people call all carbonated soft drinks "coke".

BloodRayne said:
Anyone hear of the SmithField? What kind of lame name is that...SmithField. Hey Mr.Smith how about going to play some baseball on the Field near by. Top Marketing Naming geniuses at Intel: Wow we just found a new name for our dual core...Smith and Field...SmithField!! HOOHAH!

Umm, I see that you are joking but smithfield isn't the name of the product. Its Pentium D. Smithfield is just the code name of the core, 90% of people that buy computers have no idea what the name of the core they are using is.

People seem to be confusing the vast majority of hardware buyers with the people that frequent this forum.

i remember being in a electronics store and my mom was like "whats the difference"
and it was like a 32 mega byte POS versus the 9600 128 meg

yeah, they keep it for brand recognition. The average Joe says "OMG I just got a brand new RADEON/GEFORCE." not, " I got a brand new X850XT/7800GT!" After they tell me they got a new card I say, "Nice, which one did you get?" All too often I get this reply, "Uh... iono, all I know is that it's a RADEON/GEFORCE." When they do tell me which card they get its normally like some crappy 9200 or 5200.

FaRKle0079 said:
yeah, they keep it for brand recognition. The average Joe says "OMG I just got a brand new RADEON/GEFORCE." not, " I got a brand new X850XT/7800GT!" After they tell me they got a new card I say, "Nice, which one did you get?" All too often I get this reply, "Uh... iono, all I know is that it's a RADEON/GEFORCE." When they do tell me which card they get its normally like some crappy 9200 or 5200.

Yeah..that's very true also. I can't believe people have the guts to say...omg i have this new 5200 pci and omg it owns...
:eek:

Brent_Justice said:
name and brand recognition, it is a very powerful marketing device

Thanks Brent, it appears that people here are not familiar with the cost associated with building a brand. Branding is a great advantage for companies and therefore they will reap the benefits for as long as they can. While it may appear to the [H]-crowd that there are two factors influencing the buying decision (Benchmark Numbers and !!!!!!ism) for the rest of the market (which is much much bigger than the couple of thousand [H]'ers) Brand is often critical, which is the reason why AMD isn't doing so well in comparison to Intel.

pxc said:
no, they are called either soda or pop, depending on the political party that the person has voted for.

Back