Whats with everyone linking to Thumbnails?

Mif

Limp Gawd
Just a curiosity/informational post.

Seems like a lot of people who are hosting their FS/FT images using sites such as imageshack and photobucket are linking to the thumbnail images from said hosts rather than the larger, legible images.

Might just be my pet peeve, but it drives me nuts having to edit each link in my address bar to look at all of your tasty goods!:D

Check your links so that I may impulse buy with ease!:p

because not everybody has 5mb+ connections or 1600x1200 res screens, all you have to do is click on the thumbnail, not sure what you mean by editing the link...

because not everybody has 5mb+ connections or 1600x1200 res screens, all you have to do is click on the thumbnail, not sure what you mean by editing the link...
Agreed
I try and use all clickable thumbnails.....makes the post a lot neater when you dont have huge pics taking up the whole page.....I have a 24" monitor, but many people surf with phones or from work with smaller screens....

Also, many people dont want to load 80Mb worth of pics if they are only looking at one item.

Thumbnails is the way to go......

Last edited:
I try and use all clickable thumbnails.....makes the post a lot neater when you dont have huge pics taking up the whole page.....I have a 24" monitor, but many people surf with phones or from work with smaller screens....

Also, many people dont want to load 80Mb worth of pics if they are only looking at one item.

Thumbnails is the way to go......

Agreed. I hate looking at threads with huge images. Its so annoying to navigate through.

When one clicks on a thumbnail (which is supposed to be imbedded, i.e. (img)imageshack.com/38aj3.TH.com(img) will go to imageshack.com/38aj3.com, not .TH.com)) it will load the higher res picture. When surfing the ad, it'll only download the small thumbnail.

^ exactly, I shouldnt have to wait 5 minutes to load a page.

load page with thumbnails, click thumbnail, click on the picture for the full rez

Agreed thumbnails all the way. Nothing like someone not knowing and stretching the forum layout.

+5, or whatever. Thumbnails are great and you can take a look at what you're interested in without painfully rolling through x-number of full sized images. A hyperlink is fine too.

Not sure exactly what the initial issue was here, but if we aren't addressing it, please clarify.

I'm not a fan of actual thumbnails (like the 200x200 range), but huge images are stupid. Personally I use somewhere around 600 wide images most of the time, and make them clickable to high-res photos:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1498692

Here's how you write the tags to do it:

{URL=www.imagehost.com/largeimage.jpg}{IMG}www.imagehost.com/smallimage.jpg{/IMG}{/URL}

Replace { and } with [ and ] when actually posting.

I think you guys misunderstood his post. What he is complaining about is that when you click on a thumb, the link takes you to another thumb, the image is the same exact size. When you click on a thumb, it should take you to a larger image, otherwise what is the point of even clicking on the thumb in the first place?

And that is why you click the resize button when uploading the image. Thumbnails and huge images are both annoying for the exact same reason: one cannot see the actual image without difficulties when they are involved.

Back