Whats up with the 8800gtx

I notice that it is priced a bit higher than it should be on ebay and other sites.

There is an oddly high price range to it ($35-$80) compared to the 8800gts ($25-$35)

I would think the GTX should be around $35-$45 but it gets the boost for some reason.

Is there something about the 8800gtx that makes it significantly more desirable?

I don't think it's performance related, it's been a nostalgic sorta card for me personally. Kinda like the 97/9800pro cards were back in the day. I was running a 8800gtx up till a few months ago, and it still plays a lot of games at decent settings, considering how old the card is, that's pretty incredible, at least to me it is.

The GTX was top dog when it was released. The GTS wasn't. IIRC even the 8800GT was faster than the 8800GTS.

The GTX was top dog when it was released. The GTS wasn't. IIRC even the 8800GT was faster than the 8800GTS.

Only if it was the 320/640mb version. The 512mb gts was pretty much on the gtx level, and surpassed it once OC'ed.

Until you OC your 8800gtx...mine went past 650mhz easy. 768mb of ram was awesome back then, 384bit as well IIRC.

I have an 8800 Ultra that is watercooled that I'm going to be putting up for sale soon. It drives both my 1440p monitors pretty damned well.

I should sell my old 8800GTX before it looses any more value, just sitting in a closet. Lasted me until I got my GTX480 and now a Titan.

Only if it was the 320/640mb version. The 512mb gts was pretty much on the gtx level, and surpassed it once OC'ed.

Yep, the 512 mb GTS used the G92 core like the GT but with better cooling and better performance. There was also a faster SSC version of the 640 mb GTS that still used the G80 core but was closer in performance to the GTX and G92 GTS. Personally I think of G80 and G92 as separate generations, it would have been less confusing if Nvidia hadn't used the 8800 name for so many cards.

I just dumped my 8800GTX in the trash this weekend. Prior to that, it was laying around for a couple of years unused.

If I were to guess, I would say it's people looking for a cheap SLI upgrade late in their system's life. As long as you're not maxing-out AA settings, 768MB is actually still passable for 1080p medium, and dual- 8800 GTXs have the power to push even modern games at that resolution. The 8800 GTS 640 is a lot less capable, and the 512MB 8800 cards would be memory-starved!

That combined with (already mentioned) the fact that they sold a whole lot less of the cards would explain the price bump. You can't mix the model numbers if you want to SLI.

Back