Whats up with Newegg showing AFTER rebate prices?

Camaroz06

Gawd
Hey All,

Has anyone else noticed that Newegg is now showing AFTER rebate prices as the bold price?

I thought I remember them showing the base price as the bold price previously and subtracting any rebates below that?

Honestly I cant stand when stores do this, its just annoying if anything. Microcenter does it in store and it pisses me off to no end.

Amazon is quickly becoming my fav etailer.... atleast they'll ship to my work place!

Is this a result of Newegg going public does the populace think?

Thats what I was thinking, their prices haven't even kept me from buying memory and motherboards from Microcenter as of late. If this is the road they are heading down, I dunno.

Its funny because if they are doing all this before their public offering then its just turning them into the retailers that everyone avoided previously.

Amazon kicks ass, but I worry about computer components

Not only have they had shipping issues, but I contstantly read that people get really old revisions of stuff

LINK

The big question now is what do the stockholders think.....

I dunno I think their recent changes are a double edged sword, while they might be making themselves more attractive to investors they are making them less attractive to buyers that have always been with them. Drive away newegg fans could then worsen their attractiveness for investors.

I was all for buying up some newegg stock without question and now not so much with how they have, in my eyes, changed pretty drastically.

Since newegg is slowly going down the drain, who's poised to take their place with multiple warehouses and good customer service?

lets start one... by the people, for the people!

im in !!
to neweggs new page layout , it really pissed me off. I wanted to get some parts but its really impossible to do a fast search and compare stuff, specially price. Have no time to search hours and hours. Gonna buy some place else now.

Last edited:
Instead of sitting here and complaining to each other about it why don't you do something about it. I emailed newegg to voice my concerns. I would recommend you do the same. Simply go here:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab

Click on "Email Us" then "Feedback" and finally "Website Feedback/Suggestions".

Write your thoughts in this box or if you are to lazy to, simply copy and paste what I put in there:

Hello,

I have been a long time customer and, if you review my account, I have ordered quite a bit of hardware through your site. I have never decided to write in the past however there is a change to your site that is really of a concern to me. I noticed that the BOLD prices listed on the site are now after rebate prices. This can be deceiving when ordering as there are situations when I or other customers do not want to deal with mail in rebates, and there are situations where the rebate does not arrive. I would like to see the BOLD pricing to be the cost of the item out the door at Newegg (not including shipping), however a nice feature would be to have a method to sort by lowest price after rebate, to keep the option available.

The method you are using right now is misleading and makes it more difficult to search for products by price when rebates are not an option.

Thanks,

Instead of sitting here and complaining to each other about it why don't you do something about it. I emailed newegg to voice my concerns. I would recommend you do the same. Simply go here:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab

Click on "Email Us" then "Feedback" and finally "Website Feedback/Suggestions".

Write your thoughts in this box or if you are to lazy to, simply copy and paste what I put in there:
Yea but if we do that then Newegg will fix it and there'll be nothing to complain about, which is a problem in and of itself because complaining is fun !

Not to mention we are getting bored of Newegg so we need find excuses to shop elsewhere to make ourselves feel better !

Edit: and before anyone else is confused by my post: i'm only joking :p

Last edited:
Yea but if we do that then Newegg will fix it and there'll be nothing to complain about, which is a problem in and of itself because complaining is fun !

Not to mention we are getting bored of Newegg so we need find excuses to shop elsewhere to make ourselves feel better !

So you enjoy the price gouging? Some competition is never a bad thing.

So you enjoy the price gouging? Some competition is never a bad thing.
Did my sarcasm hint it or something?

Of course competition is good, but newegg has always had competition, and if they refuse to compete with prices OR service then they'll lose market share quick.

Otherwise i can sympathize with the thoughts others posted here, highlighting the after rebate price as if it were the regular price? Pretty misleading/annoying imho.

But they added the words "after rebate" so it's no longer misleading. Glad they listen to their customers! ;)

/sarcasm :eek:

Really, though, I don't mind the changes too much. I like that there's now a preview of shipping costs, and I usually have success with rebates, so I often factor them in to how much I'm going to pay anyway. I simply keep in mind that I might not get it, and avoid purchases which are only a good deal if the rebate is included. Most of the purchases I make with rebates are already good deals on their own, but the rebate simply sweetens it and pushes me over the edge, giving me justification to make the impulse buy.

In four+ years of shopping, I don't think I've been denied a rebate. I've had to call in and send copies of the scans I made before, but I don't mind the process if it saves me money, even if I have to be thorough. I realize this level of success is the exception, however, and I suspect my perspective will change once I'm no longer a college student trying to save pennies by whatever means possible. Right now, a few dollars saved is worth the time investment for me. :p

4485761890_b582ebff10_o.png

(taken from Newegg's Facebook page)

Last edited:
IMHO newegg is definitely practicing shady practices. I ordered a Pioneer DEH-P7200HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117330 car receiver a few days ago. The item description at newegg states that the manufacturer warranty is one year for parts and 90 days for labor. Bit of a problem though. Newegg is not an authorized Pioneer dealer so, according to Pioneer there is no manufacturer warranty at all. I already emailed newegg and they told me to refuse delivery and they would refund 100%. Open the box would cost me the 15% restocking fee. It will probably be a week or so before I get a chance to install it so I would only end up with 2 or 3 weeks left of newegg's 30 day return policy. Might be enough time to fail if it is going to but definitely cuts things a bit too close for my personal comfort level. Looks to me like newegg is selling grey market products. I was willing to pay the extra $30 that newegg charges over Amazon to get the manufacturers warranty. I miss the old newegg!

IMHO if newegg says the manufacturer warranty is 1 year on parts and 90 days on labor then the product they are selling should be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Newegg should not be advertising like eBay sellers do, inferring that the manufacture warranty applies when in reality buying from newegg clearly voids the manufacturers warranty. They should be upfront about the warranty and simply state that there is no manufacturer warranty and all you get is newegg's standard 30 day return policy.

Newegg's new website is the worst it has ever been. Every time they "improve" it it gets more difficult to find the product that one wants to buy. The old newegg site from several years ago was the easiest to navigate of all the renditions. Must be some method to their madness, perhaps by keeping the consumer confused they can make more money by selling higher profit items instead of the products that I am looking for.

Last edited:
Since newegg is slowly going down the drain, who's poised to take their place with multiple warehouses and good customer service?
microcenter :p

Unfortunately microcenter and fry's are only awesome places to shop in retail; which means they're worthless for those of us who live more than an hour or two from one.

IMHO newegg is definitely practicing shady practices. I ordered a Pioneer DEH-P7200HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117330 car receiver a few days ago. The item description at newegg states that the manufacturer warranty is one year for parts and 90 days for labor. Bit of a problem though. Newegg is not an authorized Pioneer dealer so, according to Pioneer there is no manufacturer warranty at all. I already emailed newegg and they told me to refuse delivery and they would refund 100%. Open the box would cost me the 15% restocking fee. It will probably be a week or so before I get a chance to install it so I would only end up with 2 or 3 weeks left of newegg's 30 day return policy. Might be enough time to fail if it is going to but definitely cuts things a bit too close for my personal comfort level. Looks to me like newegg is selling grey market products. I was willing to pay the extra $30 that newegg charges over Amazon to get the manufacturers warranty. I miss the old newegg!

While I agree that it's misleading for them to list the manufacturer's warranty, I believe this is more a quirk with Pioneer than an intentionally deceptive ploy on Newegg's behalf. I purchased a Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 surround sound system from Buy.com a few years ago. Their return policy on this item was to send you to the manufacturer if it failed -- no returns to Buy.com were accepted. Unfortunately for me, the receiver unit in mine failed after about three hours. At this time, I discovered that -- like you -- I had purchased from a Pioneer unauthorized reseller. Essentially, I had a failed unit with no warranty and no ability to return it. Despite this, I took the unit into a small, local "Pioneer certified" repair shop, presented the receipt, and they repaired the unit (replacing the mainboard in the receiver). They took a copy of my receipt, and charged Pioneer for the replacement parts and labor.

Just my personal experience. If you're able to find a friendly Pioneer certified replacement shop, they may not know the difference between an authorized reseller or not.

And just for what it's worth, I've been back to this place since for other repairs (happy to give them my business after that positive experience) and I asked them about it -- they had no troubles getting paid by Pioneer and didn't even know about the reseller policy.

While I agree that it's misleading for them to list the manufacturer's warranty, I believe this is more a quirk with Pioneer than an intentionally deceptive ploy on Newegg's behalf.

I am not sure what is going on. After I sent a link of Pioneer Authorized dealers to newegg, newegg replied claiming "Please kindly note that Newegg is the authorized pioneer dealer.". Pioneer has two different lists one for home audio video products, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...+Home+Audio+Video+Authorized+Internet+Dealers and one for car audio products, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/FindStore/Pioneer+Car+Audio+Video+Authorized+Internet+Dealers Newegg is not on either list, buy.com is on the home audio video list.

The only reply I got from Pioneer so far directed me to the car audio video list of Internet sellers.

Either newegg is or is not an authorized dealer. Seems as though Pioneer and newegg should both know. IMHO either newegg is incorrect or Pioneer's website is misleading.

IMHO it should not anywhere near this difficult to verify whether or not newegg is a authorized seller of Pioneer car audio products or not. newegg does not display the Pioneer dealer logo, is not on either list on Pioneer's website but newegg is now claiming to be "the authorized pioneer dealer." If Pioneers website is accurate it looks as though newegg is providing intentionally misleading information to me.

I hope Pioneer replies before the UPS man delivers it on Monday and I refuse delivery.

Before I ordered I checked Amazon and they sell the DEH-P7200HD for just over $200, just does not make sense to me to pay newegg more if the money does not get me the manufacturers warranty.

It appears to me that Pioneer is a stickler for authorized seller warranties and, at this point, newegg is probably not an authorized Pioneer car audio video dealer despite the claim that they are.

Like I said before, I miss the old newegg....

Last edited:
one of the early newegg site layouts was definitely the hbest. i do miss it :(. i might change my license plate from newegg unless they stop sucking.

Newegg is not on either list, buy.com is on the home audio video list

Well, like I said, this was a few years ago -- early 2006 or late 2005, I believe. Buy.com definitely wasn't an authorized internet dealer back then, confirmed by both Pioneer and Buy.com.

Regarding your situation, though, if you can't find out, I'd probably just refuse delivery and purchase from Amazon, unless the extra $30 you paid is worth the convenience of having it a few days earlier. <shrug>

Well, like I said, this was a few years ago -- early 2006 or late 2005, I believe. Buy.com definitely wasn't an authorized internet dealer back then, confirmed by both Pioneer and Buy.com.

Regarding your situation, though, if you can't find out, I'd probably just refuse delivery and purchase from Amazon, unless the extra $30 you paid is worth the convenience of having it a few days earlier. <shrug>

Buy.com apparently is still not a car audio video authorized Pioneer dealer. Buy.com appears to be a home audio video dealer. Apparently 2 complete different things according to Pioneer

At this point I am frustrated by both newegg and Pioneer. I am still planning to refuse delivery and buy a Kenwood, probably from Crutchfield and be pretty much done with both newegg and Pioneer.

My trust of newegg is about as low as it can get at this point. Newegg emailed me twice claiming to be an authorized Pioneer dealer, though currently it appears they are not certain. It should not be this difficult to verify that newegg is or is not an authorized Pioneer Car audio video dealer.

Bottom line is newegg used to be one of the best places to purchase from but now days, IMHO, you might want to watch your backside pretty close before ordering anything from newegg unless you do not mind buying grey market with no manufacturer warranty for Internet retail prices.

Last edited:
a lot of merchants have authorized seller lists has to do with rampant theft of products that end up getting resold and the manufacturer is stuck trying to warranty them.

Newegg has really been dropping the ball over the last couple of years... crappy service, crappy shipping, over priced on everything.

Well I sent them a message this morning. Complained how they are displaying their prices. Pointed them to this thread.

I received this in reply a couple of minutes ago.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Really, it means so much to know how you feel about changes we make to our site. It is clear that we are working hard to provide the best possible shopping experience for you, and we are not afraid to change when we know our customers&#8217; are unsatisfied with any of our improvement attempts. Due to your, and many others, feedback, we have decided to change back to the original style prior to this recent change. This will take place within the next couple of days, so please remain patient with us while we make the changes that will ensure your overall satisfaction. Keep the feedback coming as changes are made, and we will be sure to always listen to your feedback. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,
Newegg Webmaster

We will see how it develops. At least someone is reading the emails and honestly 12 hour turnaround time is really good from an online retailer.

Last edited:
Back