what's up with my router 2.4 wireless problem? RT-N66U

zrikz

[H]ard|Gawd
On wired / 5GHz I get 65MB Down / 25 MB up... on 2.4GHz.. I get 3 MB down / 5-10 MB up

Just wanted to add more info..

This just happened in the past day or so I'd say, or at least noticed.

I just tried upgrading the firmware, upgrade successful, no change. Changing the channels seems to improve it some... 3,9,11 down changes to 14, up to 25. Still fiddling with it, but would love any recommendations or suggestions.

Last edited:
Well first off, Mbps not MBps.

It sounds like the 2.4Ghz band is heavily saturated in your area if you saw that big of an improvement changing your channels. Best bet is to look into inSSIDer and see what the spectrum looks like, or using any number of Wi-Fi analyzer tools.

Really annoying manufacturers from the start didn't limit people to just 1, 6, 11. Some of those 2.4Ghz bonding devices (I believe 802.11n devices on up) really made shit even worse.

I'm well aware of the difference between Mbps and MBps, just put MB because I was lazy =/

I unfortunately live in a pretty large neighborhood so I suppose it could be saturation on the 2.4Ghz side, I'm sure no one around here even uses the 5GHz band, or so it appears anyways. A quick look at the available wireless networks I see 6-8 depending on the time I click it / strength of the signal.

... just did another quick look and I had 12 pop up. I have a decent wireless card, but still, that's ridiculous.

Going to give inSSIDer a go here tomorrow morning and see what I see, guess we have quite an influx of new neighbors in the past couple weeks.

decided to not wait.. inSSIDer is pretty neat.. yeah 2.4GHz is pretty saturated good lord. 5GHz I'm the pretty much the only one on the analyzer. it looks like. so am I pretty much out of luck on 2.4? I'm not all that competent on how wi-fi / channels and what not work

Only blacked out my SSID names because it's my last name.. don't need to share it with the interwebs unless need be ;p

network.jpg

You may wish to try setting the 2.4GHz channel bandwidth to use only 20 MHz (instead of 40MHz or 20/40MHz), and also make sure the "b/g Protection" is turned off.

You got two overlapping networks. Do any of those use another channel (40Mhz) that might show up when their routers switch on the bond? That might give you an idea.

If all else fails: You may want to switch to 11, as there are no overlaps and weaker co channels.

Back