Whats up with Intel's strategy??

maverick786us

2[H]4U
My eyes are on lintel’s high end Core i7 CPUs, but looks like I might not be able to get my hands on it :(

I remember, couple of years back, Core 2 duo E6700 was 500+ when initially released, eventually its price declined and went below 200 bucks. Overall good!!!!

However with Core i7, Intel quickly discontinues the production of the processors, when it feels that its price are going to decline, and replace it with new processor keeping the price tag high. Take an example 940 was a highly rated processor, everyone eagerly waited for its price to decline, so that they can buy it, but when the time came, Intel stopped its production and launched 950 with the same original price tag. The same is the story with 920 as well as 930.

Now my eyes are on 950, 960, CPUs which have the potential to OC around 5GHz on air, right now they are expensive (just like e6700 was initially), but Intel’s on going strategy, it doesn’t look that Intel well let its price to go down, but rather stop its production and launch either 970 or 980 with high price. So I am not sure if the price of 950 & 960 will ever go down to 200 price range ( just like E6700):(.

So what’s your general suggestion? Will Intel continue to suck the blood of customers by continuing with this strategy??

Last edited:
Have someone buy a cpu/mobo compo from a frys or microcenter and ship it to you.

Intel always gouges on the higher multipliers - this is something that will never change. If you really feel that 5Ghz on air is a "gotta have it" for you well we can't stop you haha.

They can upgrade their MUX while keeping their predecessors alive, so that others can get their hands on it

They're not "sucking the blood" of consumers. The LGA1366 platform was intended to be a high-price, high-performance platform since well before its release. For mid-range performance and mid-range pricing, we have the LGA1156 platform. It's as simple as that.

I know Frys had the i5-750 and a Crossfire motherboard combo for $200...excellent price!

I just went over to Frys yesterday and the i7-920 was $288, not $200 like at Microcenter. And I didn't see any signs in the store about combo pricing.

Problem is at Frys they don't carry the specific ASUS P6T model that I would want.

And their disk drive pricing is higher than say Newegg. With shipping, costs the same from the Egg as it does from Frys. And guess which store has better customer service?:D

Try at get price match from Fry's if you have both stores local, have some had success.

Just for correction, the E6700 never got a price slash.
You're thinking of the 1333FSB E6x50 series that replaced the original 1066FSB E6x00s.
And they wern't exactly better for OCing with their lower multipliers.

What we really need is the 'E8400 equivilant' of Nehalems.

I never heard of such a thing

"Now my eyes are on 950, 960, CPUs which have the potential to OC around 5GHz on air"

Typo? You mean 4GHZ? I know 5GHZ is possible from my tests, but only on water that is.

From what I've seen so far, the pricing on the Core i7 9"" series have dropped down dramatically, I dont know whether this is Intel's strategy or not, but the Core i7's price have gone down so badly, from where I am, you could get a 920 for just $240, the then-before i7's release E8""" and Q9""" series were ranging from $199-350 have gone up to the range of $230-400 when i7 was brought in. They are definitely trying to get people to buy more i7's then C2D and C2Q counteparts.

I never heard of such a thing

"Now my eyes are on 950, 960, CPUs which have the potential to OC around 5GHz on air"

Typo? You mean 4GHZ? I know 5GHZ is possible from my tests, but only on water that is.

From what I've seen so far, the pricing on the Core i7 9"" series have dropped down dramatically, I dont know whether this is Intel's strategy or not, but the Core i7's price have gone down so badly, from where I am, you could get a 920 for just $240, the then-before i7's release E8""" and Q9""" series were ranging from $199-350 have gone up to the range of $230-400 when i7 was brought in. They are definitely trying to get people to buy more i7's then C2D and C2Q counteparts.

Even an i920 can OC around 4.4 GHz, I've read some old aritcals in which people have OCed i950 around 5GHz. I thought 950 is the E8400 equivalent of Nehalem

Try at get price match from Fry's if you have both stores local, have some had success.

Best of luck with getting Frys to price match Micro Center. I tried and was told that Micro Center was too close from one employee and the MOD told me that they were too far....

Depends on which Frys you go into, but the Frys near my house has nothing but dumbasses working there.

I don't see any great price drops on 1366 processors. 940's and 950's still around 530-570 at Newegg.
Kind of irritating to see 1156 870's around the same price point.

I think the 860 is the value/performance proposition in Intel CPU's right now. It's worth the extra 80 bucks to get Hyperthreading. It's the only reason I wouldn't buy a 750.

I don't see any great price drops on 1366 processors. 940's and 950's still around 530-570 at Newegg.
Kind of irritating to see 1156 870's around the same price point.

I think the 860 is the value/performance proposition in Intel CPU's right now. It's worth the extra 80 bucks to get Hyperthreading. It's the only reason I wouldn't buy a 750.

Only if you have an MC, would I recommend the 860 - b/c online the $279 price is almost double of a i5 750 at MC. However, if you really insist on HT, the X3440 (19x multi) is at $239 and only a $40 premium online.

Best of luck with getting Frys to price match Micro Center. I tried and was told that Micro Center was too close from one employee and the MOD told me that they were too far....

Depends on which Frys you go into, but the Frys near my house has nothing but dumbasses working there.

Depends on which Frys ???? That applies to ALL of them! :cool:

Depends on which Frys ???? That applies to ALL of them! :cool:

I'll give you that, lol. There are a few associates at Frys that do know what they are talking about and do honor price matching policies they have in place. The other Frys that is about 25 miles away from my house is the complete opposite from the Frys that is only 10 minutes down the road from me.

Even an i920 can OC around 4.4 GHz, I've read some old aritcals in which people have OCed i950 around 5GHz. I thought 950 is the E8400 equivalent of Nehalem

Yes I know the i920, can overclock to about 4ish ghz on air, but no its not possible at all on air at 5ghz.

My eyes are on lintel’s high end Core i7 CPUs, but looks like I might not be able to get my hands on it :(

I remember, couple of years back, Core 2 duo E6700 was 500+ when initially released, eventually its price declined and went below 200 bucks. Overall good!!!!

However with Core i7, Intel quickly discontinues the production of the processors, when it feels that its price are going to decline, and replace it with new processor keeping the price tag high. Take an example 940 was a highly rated processor, everyone eagerly waited for its price to decline, so that they can buy it, but when the time came, Intel stopped its production and launched 950 with the same original price tag. The same is the story with 920 as well as 930.

Now my eyes are on 950, 960, CPUs which have the potential to OC around 5GHz on air, right now they are expensive (just like e6700 was initially), but Intel’s on going strategy, it doesn’t look that Intel well let its price to go down, but rather stop its production and launch either 970 or 980 with high price. So I am not sure if the price of 950 & 960 will ever go down to 200 price range ( just like E6700):(.

So what’s your general suggestion? Will Intel continue to suck the blood of customers by continuing with this strategy??

The difference is that before the Socket 775 platform represented everything from their very top-end chip to their budget CPU's and in many cases their chips seamlessly transitioned from high-end to mid-range to lower-end as they aged. However you still saw early chips like the E6600 replaced by different chips like the E6750, etc.

The i7 platform from the very beginning was going to be tiered. The 9xx processors on the 1366 socket were always meant to be a high-end/enthusiast platform whereas they now have an entirely different socket (1156) for their mid and low-end chips.

There are plenty of cheap i7's out there, they are just typically for 1156 not 1366 and expecting otherwise is sort of like wondering why the prices on extreme edition processors never come down.

More importantly, whats with you and the yellow?

More importantly, whats with you and the yellow?

My internet frequently keep on getting disconnected. Numerou times it happened that I wrote big threads, and when I clicked on submit, the whole session expired because of that and I had to retype the entire post.

Therefore I decided to type the entire thing in word document and then past it from ther. However whenever you copy and paste anything from word document, the default color changes to black, which is not audible in these forums, thats why i had to change it to some bright color

"Take an example of this, I copied and pasted from word" Its not readable to anyone

I hate it when your posting a thread/post and it comes up with time expired, refresh and next second your whole post is gone.

I remember this happening 1 time to me but just hitting back on FF got me back my post.

Why care so much if it's yellow or white?

anyway..yes..this is crap
i'm watching intel as of i'm wanting to upgrade maybe next year

I guess my question is why bother paying double the price over a 920 for the 940 or 950 anyway? to get maybe a 200 MHz higher OC if that?

I'm getting back new into the scene of PC components and was hoping for the i7-920 + decent 1366 mobo to arrive around the $250 point in a couple or three months. Reading this thread is not encouraging for my PC building budget.

I see the i7 920 at MC for $200, but that's still requiring a mobo, so I'm around $350... does anyone think that 2-3 months down the road that $250 is realistic, or do I need to rebudget and start looking for a different combo?

Thanks for the input!!

I'm getting back new into the scene of PC components and was hoping for the i7-920 + decent 1366 mobo to arrive around the $250 point in a couple or three months. Reading this thread is not encouraging for my PC building budget.

I see the i7 920 at MC for $200, but that's still requiring a mobo, so I'm around $350... does anyone think that 2-3 months down the road that $250 is realistic, or do I need to rebudget and start looking for a different combo?

Thanks for the input!!

rebudget and look for a new combo ... intel will discontinue the chips before they sell at anything close to AMD haha

My internet frequently keep on getting disconnected. Numerou times it happened that I wrote big threads, and when I clicked on submit, the whole session expired because of that and I had to retype the entire post.

Therefore I decided to type the entire thing in word document and then past it from ther. However whenever you copy and paste anything from word document, the default color changes to black, which is not audible in these forums, thats why i had to change it to some bright color

"Take an example of this, I copied and pasted from word" Its not readable to anyone

Use notepad next time so it's raw text and no formatting.

Back