What's today's equivalent of the Q6600/IP35 Pro?

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
About two years ago, I built a rig based around the Q6600/IP35 Pro, as that was the best bang for your buck power machine combo at the time. I'm looking to stay modern, despite the fact that my IP35 Pro and Q6600 are more than fast enough. What is the modern day equivalent of this combo, based on the new i7 stuff?

Would it be wiser to upgrade now while my old stuff isn't too outdated, or should I wait?

Last edited:
There's not many budget boards in terms of i7 yet, in my opinion. But honestly, i7 920 and whatever board you can get a nice deal on is a start.

Im running a Q6600, An IP35 Pro and 4GB Corsair Dominator right now. Looking to sell my old stuff before it loses more value.

Want to spend $600ish if possible for CPU, Mobo, and Ram.

there isn't a modern equivalent right now because i7 is still priced as high end. when q6600/p35 came out you can get a great $100 enthusiast chipset motherboard.
Right now the x58 boards are about $100 more expensive. I believe it will drop by december when intel releases new chips

IMHO, one of the sub $200 MSI, Gigabyte, or Asus x58 boards and a 920.

Phenom II has some cpu/mobo combo contenders in the $300-400 range if you are really strapped for cash. But the higher end core 2 quads can still out perform them depending on OC.

To be quite honest, if your q6600 is OCed to 3Ghz or better, your sig gaming machine is plenty good enough for today's games imho. I keep looking myself, but my x48 and q9300 @ 3.2Ghz, 8gigs of DDR II, and 4870 play games quite well @ 1600x1200 on my 22" CRT. Perhaps if I start using my 2405 for gaming or buy one of the newer and better LCD's out there and start gaming above 1600x1200, that will change. The console ports we have been receiving of late just don't tax my current setup that much.

I can get a i7 920 from the local Microcenter for $200 new in box. I'll probably pair it with an Asus or Evga board, throw some RAM in, and call it a day.

very nice build, that exactly how i7 rig came to be with the microcenter i7 920.. just realize that calling it a day is about $600 bucks.. I wouldn't sell your old rig either, would make a very nice replacement for that home theater pc :)

best of luck with your build

Would it be wiser to upgrade now while my old stuff isn't too outdated and can still be sold for a decent amount, or should I wait?

Would it be wiser to upgrade now while my old stuff isn't too outdated and can still be sold for a decent amount, or should I wait?
The next big wave of CPUs is coming next year with the 6-core Nehalem chips. Unless you want to wait that long, upgrading now would be a good move. Plus, you'll be able to upgrade to the 6-core CPUs when they come out if you go with an i7/X58 setup now.

PERSONALLY (again this is relative) I am waiting for 32nm chips as my current setup plays every single games avilable (q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, gtx 260 core 216) just fine and I expect that it will be able to until atleast late 2010 when the new consoles start coming out and the 32nm parts will role out.... but again its personal opinion and if you feel you need to upgrade before your parts loose money (you will always loose money on parts) then go ahead and do it...

PERSONALLY (again this is relative) I am waiting for 32nm chips as my current setup plays every single games avilable (q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, gtx 260 core 216) just fine and I expect that it will be able to until atleast late 2010 when the new consoles start coming out and the 32nm parts will role out.... but again its personal opinion and if you feel you need to upgrade before your parts loose money (you will always loose money on parts) then go ahead and do it...

Not true for eg. ARMA2 or multi GPU setups, you might wanna do some reading up...

I might just bump my video card up for now to like a GTX 280 or a 295, then do a full system upgrade later on.

Back