What's to blame?

stain.

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got Comcast cable internet, but the modem they gave me is a single port modem. I go out and buy the d-link DIR-615 (wireless n-draft router)

The WIRED internet works great. I go thru and set up the wireless internet for my wife's macbook pro, and it will not connect to the D-Link. It sees it, but will not connect to it. I have tried many different ways to connect it, the different security settings (none, wep, wap...) and it will not connect. Can someone help me in this?

The main computer on the router (wired) is a PC, and the Mac is going to be wireless.

Let me know if you need more info on this.

I put the security to "none" and at some points, I couldn't even get internet on the WIRED pc... strange?

I don't know. I did the auto-set up wizzard.

When I say mac, I mean macbook pro (the apple computer). I might be the one confused there.... MAC as in Media access .. something...?

in theory it should work, yes?

Media Access Control address, it's the unique ID put on most NIC. Basically, if you have MAC address controls turned on, the router will look at all the MAC address of all the computers attempting to connect to it, and allow/reject everyone that's not on the list.

To make sure it's off, go into your router

Advanced > Network Filter

Or it might be in N only mode, and you won't be able to connect to it if your laptop doesn't support it.

I have it broadcasting all signals, b/b/n, so hat shouldn't be an issue. I'll check on the MAC addressing when I get home.

BTW, what do you guy's think of Apples router - Airport Extreme (or non extreme version)?

ok. I'm broadcasting b/g/n signals. The macbook pro is sitting 3 inches from the router.

I set the transmition rate to "best(automatic)

security is WEP

MAC filtering is off

I've put the security to 'off' and no avail.

Should I get airport extreme, or a linksys router?

I kinda like the newer buffalo routers. The newer linksys ones have really gone downhill unless you get one of the ones that is still linux based.

What is a good router at a reasonable price?

N-draft isn't needed. Just a perk.

Did you check to make sure that your router and wireless adapter are on the same channel?

What is a good router at a reasonable price?

N-draft isn't needed. Just a perk.

A Linksys WRT54G should be around/a bit less than $50. It's a solid router, and although you can't install alternate firmware on it easily like you could with the original revision, that probably doesn't matter for you.

A Linksys WRT54G...
I wish people would stop recommending the WRT54G; these days It makes a decent cheap AP with DD-WRT/Tomato on it but that's about it.

For a list of great consumer routers check out this thread.

That said though I think your problem may be defective hardware. Forgive me but it sounds like you're having way too much trouble, even for a novice.

To get it up and running: (Note: I don't recommend you run without security. In these days of lawsuits for every little thing, to mention nothing of system security, I sincerely recommend you only use this set up for testing. Once it's working - lock it down.)

From inside the firmware, go to Setup and then Wireless Setup. Choose Manual setup.

Ensure that "enable wireless" is checked with "always" next to it.
Change the "wireless network name" to something easy to remember and find but is also semi-unique, just in case your neighbors might have something generic.

Change "802.11 mode" to "802.11g only" (for troubleshooting purposes.)
Ensure that "enable auto channel scan" is unchecked.
Set/leave the "wireless channel" at CH 6.
Set/leave "transmission rat" to "best (automatic)"
Set/leave "visibility status" to "visible"
Then under "Wireless Security" choose None.
Then click "Save Settings" and reboot the router IF required.

Go to "Advanced" then "Wi-Fi Protected Setup."
Ensure the "enabled" is unchecked.
Save settings if applicable.

Go to "Advanced" then "Network Filter."
Under "Configure MAC Filtering", ensure that it states "MAC filter is off."

Ensure all the settings above have been saved and reboot the router, IF necessary.

Now, with your laptop nearby, go ahead and see if you can see a wireless network with the name you assigned under "wireless network name" above. If you can, go ahead and join it and see what happens. If it works - hooray. If it doesn't, you might have a defective router and should return it for another.

IF it works and all is well, it's important that you go back and secure your wireless even though you may not want too.

You can start by changing the "Wireless Security Mode" to WPA-Personal. You must remember to enter a "Pre-Shared Key" as you will need to enter that when configuring wireless clients to use your network. On the laptop, configure the wireless adapter to use WPA when connecting to your network and type in the pre-shared key that you configured.

Another security step would be to add you MAC addresses into the "Network Control" area we discussed earlier. To do that, go to "advanced" then "network filter" then set it to "Turn MAC filtering on and ALLOW only the computers listed below." BEFORE hitting save, ensure that both of your machines are added as clients. You can do this by selecting them from the "DHCP Clients" drop-down list or by manually entering their MAC addresses. Once you have the MAC addresses of your two systems in the white boxes on the left (press the little arrows once you've selected them from the drop-down box), go ahead and press Save Settings and reboot the router IF required.

That should be it... hope that helped.

Back