• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's This ? temp probe ?

BassKozz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
311
I was reading thru reviews on the new CoolIT Freezone Chilled Liquid Cooler, and I came across this review at PC Perspective: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=313&type=expert&pid=6

Notice the 5th photo down, what is that on the CPU? It looks like a temperature probe of some kind... but I've been told to never place a temp probe between a CPU and it's heatsink :confused:

Is this normal ?

Here is an edited picture with yellow arrows that I added to point out what I am talking about...
29standoffsedit2ce4.jpg
 
Looks like a wire temp probe... taped on the frame.

Well, here's how they do it... The thing it's taped too is like 2mm shorter than the top of the chip, THEREFORE, it's not directly between the HSF and the CPU... There should be about .5mm space left.
 
Ya, the intel processor sticks up a bit more than the frame on LGA775 mounts so there is enough space for a THIN probe.
 
hmmm, this is news to me... I thought it wasn't ever good practice to place anything except thermal compound between the CPU and HeatSink.

So if this is ok, where can I get my hands on one of these probes ;) ?
 
it's not BETWEEN the CPU and processor..

Diagramlol.jpg



Seee. The probe is off to the SIDE, attached to the Retention bracket, that square plate that clamps the CPU into the LGA socket...

(that's (c) me btw)
 
Back
Top