whats this section for?

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
whats this section for? talk about Dells/Alienware/HP/gateway/whatever PCs?

w00t for first post in the new section

Sigh, I was hoping for a "critique my build section" to clean up G[H] that drove me away...

can't wait to see some high-end iWill and Supermicro servers get the review

Vertigo Acid said:
Sigh, I was hoping for a "critique my build section" to clean up G[H] that drove me away...

can't wait to see some high-end iWill and Supermicro servers get the review
If it's a 'critique my Alienware', I'm sure it'll be a better fit here than G[H].

Now the mods can move the pre-built discussion out of gen hardware so theres less flaming....i think.

Dillusion said:
Now the mods can move the pre-built discussion out of gen hardware so theres less flaming....i think.
Well, I think that if people come in here to seek and give advice on OEM systems, then everything is golden...it's just that prebuilds seem to raise the ire of some people who peruse the GH forum for other information...

I hope this cuts down on the General [H].

By the way -- woot for the tenth post! ;)

wow, a whole section of n00bs that can't build their own machine! :p

I'm just kidding, take it easy.

But hopefully it will cutdown on the General Hardware traffic.

Yep, this section is for discussion of prebuilt computers. Should help in General Hardware, seeing how you usually get flamed for posting a prebuilt question (especially if it involves Alienware or Dell).

Is this section also for pointing out flaws and major inconveniences with Dells etc.? :confused:

1c3d0g said:
Is this section also for pointing out flaws and major inconveniences with Dells etc.? :confused:
Sure, if it's done in a constructive and educational manner. Surely the deficiencies of the major OEMs is important for people who are looking to buy a prebuild system of their own.

1c3d0g said:

Often can't beat the Dell price, and that what folks look at. They make great LCD monitors, too.

Good. I hate prebuilt systems (excluding laptops), so maybe we can move all of this junk into one section, which I will never check, and I'll never have to hear anyone talk about a prebuilt system ever again!!! :D

RS3RS said:
Good. I hate prebuilt systems (excluding laptops), so maybe we can move all of this junk into one section, which I will never check, and I'll never have to hear anyone talk about a prebuilt system ever again!!! :D

How about a [H]ate subforum for crap posts like this one? :D

w00t for being the first person to post in this section for what it was meant for!

We bought a couple IBM S series ultra small form factor model 8086-46U with the 3.4G cpu machines to eval at work. The things are barely bigger than a phone book. They've got only two 2.5 inch fans in them, not including the 1 incher or so in the power supply.

One of the 2.5 inchers is at the front, blowing in, the other in the rear, blowing out. With a 7200RPM drive, and a 3.4Ghz Intel inside, practically useless ventalation, the little suckers get hotter than hell, it's hard to keep your hand on the top of the case when it's been doing actual work for any amount of time.

The vents for the fan in the front are going to plug with dust quickly, meaning no airflow at all.

We're thinking there's no way they're gonna last even a year. But scared that's what IBM is going to make their new business desktop. We don't want to move to Dell!

Does anyone have experience with this model, like do they throttle when hot, have you had any problems with reliability, etc.?

EDIT] Never mind, started a new thread elsewhere. Mods delete at will. Tnx

HTPC Rookie said:
w00t for being the first person to post in this section for what it was meant for!

We bought a couple IBM S series ultra small form factor model 8086-46U with the 3.4G cpu machines to eval at work. The things are barely bigger than a phone book. They've got only two 2.5 inch fans in them, not including the 1 incher or so in the power supply.

One of the 2.5 inchers is at the front, blowing in, the other in the rear, blowing out. With a 7200RPM drive, and a 3.4Ghz Intel inside, practically useless ventalation, the little suckers get hotter than hell, it's hard to keep your hand on the top of the case when it's been doing actual work for any amount of time.

The vents for the fan in the front are going to plug with dust quickly, meaning no airflow at all.

We're thinking there's no way they're gonna last even a year. But scared that's what IBM is going to make their new business desktop. We don't want to move to Dell!

Does anyone have experience with this model, like do they throttle when hot, have you had any problems with reliability, etc.?
i think that should be a whole new thread

4b5eN+EE said:
whats this section for? talk about Dells/Alienware/HP/gateway/whatever PCs?

w00t for first post in the new section
Congrats on having the first post!

4b5eN+EE said:
i think that should be a whole new thread

How come why for? It's a question about an OEM IBM system.

EDIT] Never mind, started a new thread elsewhere. Mods delete at will. Tnx

i mean a thread by itself in this section

right now its a reply to my thread

i mean it should be a new post

4b5eN+EE said:
i mean a thread by itself in this section

right now its a reply to my thread

i mean it should be a new post

Aaaahhhh...agreed. Mods, could ya move for me? Tnx!

[EDIT] Never mind, started a new thread elsewhere. Mods delete at will. Tnx.

RS3RS said:
How about you take a look at the forum rules before posting? :D
Yeah... then I could explain them to you :D

btw I did not feel my reply was inappropriate considering the affected nature of the post I was quoting, if any moderators disagree I will be happy to delete it.

Back