• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Whats the smarter idea???

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
4,628
I currently use the PC in my SIG.. im looking for something that will be a little better then my current rig for gaming:D Been REALLY thinking about buying a i7 950 and a 1366 motherboard and a 6gb ram kit, and play with it, BUT everyone has the same reply, GO SANDY BRIDGE.. So, my question is this: Wait a few more weeks till the boards become available again, and but like a gigabyte p67-ud5 b3 board and a 2600K CPU, or just go ahead and get a i950 sk1366 setup? Im really leaning toward SB myself as they OC like crazy and are MUCH cooler operating CPU's.... AM I CORRECT here? Thanks
 
Depending on which boards you're looking for, newegg has 5 different ones available from MSI & Biostar. I'm sure there might be some other sites out there as well with different ones. I didn't get mine from newegg. It wouldn't surprise me if more came available by the end of the week / next week. If at the most you're waiting an extra week or two and thats it, IMO its worth the wait. It would be another story if the wait was months.

I'm also Bias'd b/c I have a P67-GD65 & and 2600k in the mail right now.

Would you be water cooling or air? I don't know what people have been able to go up to with air.
 
I'll be using AIR.. I have a great Scythe Mugan rev B cooler.... It works great and is huge. Keeps my X6 1055t using 1.45v @ 4.06GHz under 51c 100% loaded across 6 cores!!
 
I have a 950, and the benifits/advantages of a 2600k are worth the wait.
 
just made my mind up thanks! I'll be going the SB route....
 
I'd go with a 2500K though, instead of the 2600K, unless you really need HT for something (heavy video encoding or something) and use the extra $150 on something else.
 
I'd go with a 2500K though, instead of the 2600K, unless you really need HT for something (heavy video encoding or something) and use the extra $150 on something else.

So a 2500K has no HT? If so I would get the 2600K if it has HT over the 2500K.
 
So a 2500K has no HT? If so I would get the 2600K if it has HT over the 2500K.

He won't get any performance gain from the 2500k to the 2600k while gaming. For the price premium, and his PC usage, the 2500k would be the better choice.

I would stick with the MSI P67A-GD65 and the 2500k. A solid choice. You could get it to 4.2 or higher without a problem.
 
OK, I have a 2600K on the way, now waiting for motherboards to come back in stock
 
Back
Top