What's the scroll lock for?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sly, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Sly

Sly [H]ardness Supreme

I don't think i've ever used this since i migrated to windows 3.1. Think i used it for something like CTRL-BREAK back in DOS.

Every keyboard i've used since then still has it but i've never actually did find out what it's for.

2. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

The idea was to stop scrolling text in DOS, basically. Theoretically if you pressed Scroll Lock it would cause text to stay within the window, meaning if the text scrolled down - as it filled the screen, like holding Enter would cause the prompt to jump to the next line, the next, etc, then "scrolling" off screen as new text replaced the old.

What you'd end up with is text that got to the bottom then started from the top and went back down again, sort of "locking" it into the given frame of the display. I used it one time in all my years, just once, and it did work, but that was way back around 1983 or something, never saw it as being useful since it overwrote what I was tried to read just as badly as having the content scroll offscreen. Either way I couldn't do what I wanted to do sooo... :)

3. Allos

Allos Limp Gawd

Try it in an Excel spreadsheet and you'll get the idea.

BTW, I never use that key.

4. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

I use it still for the KVM switch. Beyond that, not much else.

5. TechieSooner

TechieSooner [H]ardness Supreme

Not much real-world usage know. As Joe said, I have also used it once... ever.

6. Grentz

Grentz [H]ard as it Gets

These days it is just an extra button used for things like KVM switching and such. A relic from a time past ;)