What's the scoop on the celery D?

I just got a 2.4ghz prescott celeronD from the egg for $72 shipped with a 3 year warranty. I probably won't be doing any ocing with it because of this el'crapo Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0 after having bad experiences with the pentium 4 mobile processor. Hopefully it should be a nice jump from 1.2ghz to 2.4ghz, and the temps should be ok with a retail 3.0C cooler

I actually built one for my mom a system about a month ago now with the 2.66 that does 3.2 on air all day long .. rock stable and she loves it for the stuff she does i put in 1 gig ram and actually a pretty decent box. on a budget

benchmarks fine for those celerons, but no hyperthreading and that the only thing (and a big thing) that makes p4 really worthwhile, you may as well get AMD and run a bit cooler and the speed difference is pretty small from the AXP. LOL ia few years ago i would never have hought i would have "AMD" and "run cooler" in the same sentance!

however if you like the price of the setup you are going to get go for it as long as it doesnt have shared mempory it should be ok. (a new 2.8 celery with shared memory would be in some ways worse than the 733 with a proper vid card)

very true... the delery is a chopped down prescott -- and thus runs hotter than previous chips. A 3.0C cooler may or may not be sufficient.... Remember, a prescott will run much hotter than a comprably-equiped northwood...

potroast said:
very true... the delery is a chopped down prescott -- and thus runs hotter than previous chips. A 3.0C cooler may or may not be sufficient.... Remember, a prescott will run much hotter than a comprably-equiped northwood...

No, not really....

I have an old Celeron 2.2G (Northwood) running at just under 3G. Idle at about 36C & under load at about 45C. The 2.4 Celeron D(Prescott) running at 3G is about 39C idle and 49C under load. Now I wouldn't call that running "much hotter", it's hotter, but not by very much.

I think the Precott based Celeron D runs relatively cool because it has 768K L2 less than Prescott P4s.

dnas said:
No, not really....

I have an old Celeron 2.2G (Northwood) running at just under 3G. Idle at about 36C & under load at about 45C. The 2.4 Celeron D(Prescott) running at 3G is about 39C idle and 49C under load. Now I wouldn't call that running "much hotter", it's hotter, but not by very much.

I think the Precott based Celeron D runs relatively cool because it has 768K L2 less than Prescott P4s.

re-read my statement.... I say that it will run hotter than a comprable chip. I also say a prescott (p4) runs much hotter than a northwood (p4) of the same clock...

I didn't say the cooler wouldn't work, but that it may not work.

actually there are two kinds of cpus, Cisc (sp) and risk, I believe celerons are risk.

Glyphic said:
actually there are two kinds of cpus, Cisc (sp) and risk, I believe celerons are risk.

I assume you are refering to "risc"? risc is reduced-instruction-set and no, the x86 is not a risc archetecture.

I just put one of these together this weekend (Shuttle ST61G4/Celeron D 2.4 - 533) Do I have to run the memory synchronous?? I've overclocked it to 166*18, and run the memory at 333. When I was running it at 400, it was a little crashy.

potroast said:
it's not that they're slow.... ecs sucks because their QC is so horrible and failure rates are extremely high...

ECS sucks because they're failure rates are high. I've been a service tech for awhile and many times a customer brings in a machine with an ECS motherboard it's not unusual for it to have died.

ECS is junk. I wouldn't own one. EVER. The 848 chipset is crap. Single channel ram based boards are a good way to cripple the performance of even a Celery.

P4's and the Celery's need memory bandwidth to perform. The 848 won't cut it. When you can get a decent i865PE solution for $100 or less theres no reason to go with one.

Getting a Fry's combo is fine. But I'd ditch that shit board the first chance I got. I'd sell the board for what little I could and get another one. Most of the time the Fry's combo is a good way to get a CPU for a decent price, and get a free board out of it basically.

potroast said:
re-read my statement.... I say that it will run hotter than a comprable chip. I also say a prescott (p4) runs much hotter than a northwood (p4) of the same clock...

I didn't say the cooler wouldn't work, but that it may not work.

You didn't mention a P4 at all (Northwood or Prescott). You were talking about a Celeron D ("the delery is a chopped down prescott").

You also said that "A 3.0C cooler may or may not be sufficient....". The stock heatsink and fan IS just fine, as you can see the temperatures, and a Prescott Celeron doesn't run "much hotter" than a Northwood Celeron.

Well my 2.4D just came in today and I'm very happy with it: [email protected] 35C idle 55C load with included retail cooler :D comes in a little shy of a 3.0C in speed:

2910.jpg

Great deal for only $72 shipped off the egg :)

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
Taste good with peanut butter

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey QB Ill be over at your house later on in the month...yes yes yes ill bring the shuttle :)

You will proly end up with it! so far u got my old ATI 7500,my best stick of ocing 2100 ddr,my soyo mobo,and im sure there is more LOL..ohh yea i got to give u a Ultra wide scsi card and some other stuff u needed!

EDIT: Now tylar u know i have a 3.0c...dont make me spank u in benchmarks..lol :eek:

Back