What's the quietest 6870 or 6850 or with some mods

kr0sys

n00b
I don't know about you guys but I can't stand the whirl of fans. I replaced all of the fans, including the psu's, with ultra low db fans. I also covered up any side fan ports that weren't in use to minimize sound leakage. This box is about as quite as it can get. Note that I have no where to put it but beside me out in the open, and haven't got around to making some sort of box/container to put the pc case in to minimize sound level while designing air flow ports much like you would find in a bose sound system.

Anyhow, been looking to upgrade from a IGP HD3200 to something that one could actually play games on other than starcraft and quake 2. After looking at the reviews of some of the 6850's and 6870's from newegg, many were saying that these cards are fairly loud under load, but not too bad when otherwise. I understand there is a manual/auto fan adjustment, that's sweet. Has anyone found a really quite version of one of these cards? tia

Best I've found so far is this. From what reviews have said, if they're even worth anything, this is a decently quite board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127545

SilentPCreview did a review on 2 cooler-enhanced 6850s.

TLDR:

ASUS 6850 is the quietest out there under a gaming load. Was about 1 db higher than the other at idle.
The 6850 in all situations was sufficient for them to call quiet (they are very picky) and they also gave it the SPCR approved stamp.
The Gigabyte looks tempting but I've seen some reviews stating it's not that quiet.

Thanks for the link to that site. They got some good info. I think in any case to get the sound level I'm after it's going to take an aftermarket cooler with some silent but high cfm fans. These boards just aren't designed with acoustics in mind. Thanks

Back