Whats the problem with AMD

rellyrale

n00b
Whats the deal with so much hate out there for AMD bulldozer CPUs? I understand that Intel is faster but AMD is still has some powerful CPUs especially the bulldozer gen if you have the right balance in parts to go along with it. Whats the big deal? Why shouldn't someone on a budget purchase a FX series cpu in 2015?

because there is hardly a price point where an amd chip beats intel at same price.
the fx 8350 oced at 5 ghz wont beat the lowest sku of i5 @ 3.0 ghz in a gaming scenario

because there is hardly a price point where an amd chip beats intel at same price.
the fx 8350 oced at 5 ghz wont beat the lowest sku of i5 @ 3.0 ghz in a gaming scenario

Well, you're wrong according to these two reviews.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedi...80-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-2560x1440/index.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedi...g-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-4k/index.html

So, the AMD setup is $319 and the Intel setup is $1052 - this makes the Intel setup 329% more expensive. Yes, over 300% more expensive. For 300% more cost, we're not getting more than around 10-20% more performance. This is where you really have to think about the money you're spending. Sure, you might not have gone for two GeForce GTX 980s in SLI, and opted for the Intel processor, spending an additional $600+ on the Intel setup. But why?

For the money saved on the CPU and motherboard combo, you could purchase yourself an entire second GPU. This second GPU will provide far more noticable performance in your games, compared to spending it on a CPU.

I would not hesitate using AMD for a gaming system.

My FX-6100 and my FX-8350 have served me very well for gaming. I've been able to max out a great many games with good FPS and the ones I couldn't were due to my GPU not CPU.

Whats the deal with so much hate out there for AMD bulldozer CPUs? I understand that Intel is faster but AMD is still has some powerful CPUs especially the bulldozer gen if you have the right balance in parts to go along with it. Whats the big deal? Why shouldn't someone on a budget purchase a FX series cpu in 2015?

As noted above, never underestimate a fan of one side to derail another company continuously.

Its their way of justifying their purchase as "superior" or that they are somehow smarter than you.
I like the way trolls are out late at night, way past their bedtimes typing away, about how superior the computer their parent's bought them is compared to anyone else's.

It's part of being the underdog. That's what makes an underdog and underdog :) My main rig is an intel rig, however my AMD rig with 8370 and 990fx is still going strong and is more than capable and could easily be my main rig if I needed it to be. But since I am an enthusiast, I always want the play with all the new stuff coming out. Since AMD has been lagging behind on the platform side (I don't even count the APU pieces, only the FX line) I naturally ended up on intel. But, my loyalties are not tied to blue and green (or red), just good value for my money.

Looking forward to 300 series and Zen CPU.

Look at more reviews and you will better understand why people have the opinions they do:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Thief_-test-proz.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Dying_Light-test-dl__proz.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Grand_Theft_Auto_V_-test-2-GTA5_proz.jpg

why would you even make that post when you are making no relevance to what i said?
i said at the same price, intel beats amd, i.e if you buy a 70$ amd chip vs intel 70$ pentium, the pentium will be faster.

so is the thing with the 8 core chips.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1197

this is an i3 vs fx 9590 and you can see it either is equal in most or the i3 wins [ in games only ]

So, AMD Chips are bad value for money, just because it is cheap and is 8 core doesnt mean it is value for money.

Anyone who knows a lot about CPUs - will never buy AMD, never even think of it

I guess my gripe is a person can post a question asking is their AMD setup will get the job done and most likely the answer is yes with questions about integrity of the other parts considered in the setup but there is always someone that mentions either to spend more with an I5 system or get an i3 for a future upgrade path. Clearly if you have had an FX 8320 to 8370 you know your machine and handle anything thrown at it so the person with the questions is deterred to intel but their AMD build in question can do what it needs to do. I havnt seen too many questions asking if AMD was faster but if the build can play the new games on ultra and the answer is yes it can play the games on Ultra with decent fps with the appropriate GPU

why would you even make that post when you are making no relevance to what i said?
i said at the same price, intel beats amd, i.e if you buy a 70$ amd chip vs intel 70$ pentium, the pentium will be faster.

this is an i3 vs fx 9590 and you can see it either is equal in most or the i3 wins [ in games only ]

So, AMD Chips are bad value for money, just because it is cheap and is 8 core doesnt mean it is value for money.

I don't care what benchmark or reviews you post no one can ever convince me that any i3 can out perform my FX8320 ever

why the f does everyone say, intel is more expensive than AMD?
if anything AMD is OVERPRICED because it UNDERPERFORMS at the same price.
8350 rig and i5 4430 rig will cost you the same exact thing, so why would someone get 8350?

You said 8350. I got an 8350 bench. The 8350 is the better deal, I don't see anyone buying the 9590. Just like I don't see people buying a 5930k over a 4690k for games.

It comes down to real life situations is my point... I haven't seen one person say they can play GTA V on ultra with a i3 and playable frame rates but I run my 8320 stock and I pull in 60fps easily my gtx 970 barely sweats

You said 8350. I got an 8350 bench. The 8350 is the better deal, I don't see anyone buying the 9590. Just like I don't see people buying a 5930k over a 4690k for games.

take the 9590 as an oced 8350, the best amd has to offer competes with i3s.

AMD is terrible waste of money and expensive for its performance, i hope they can fix their CPU game soon else it will be bad for consumers

You'll spend more on a i5 setup then an AMD fx83xx unless you get a weak intel mobo the one good thing I can say about intel is the cheaper boards are still decent whereas I wouldn't get a 970 980 chipset for my bulldozer but you loose out on other features like I have all 8 of my sata ports used and all my on board usb 3.0s so I couldn't image getting a mobo with 4 sata ports and 2 usb 3.0 just to have intel because its a little bit faster

FX-8370E Test
in this test old Lynnfield i5 @ 4GHz literally obliterate best AMD have to offer, Zambezi @ whopping 4.9GHz

Intel introduced first generation of Nehalem i7's in 2008 and after all those years AMD still is not able to deliver product with its level of performance. It is more than 6 years of lag.

Difference in performance between Vishera and Hashwell is so massive that is it like comparing 386 to 486. Not even funny. If there was difference in price that would justify buying AMD then it would be not so bad but there is no advantage to buying AMD as Intel have similar prices. In used parts AMD is totally out of question. LGA1336 MOBO + i7 920 is much much chaper and still faster.

AMD just dropped the ball...

AMD is terrible waste of money and expensive for its performance, i hope they can fix their CPU game soon else it will be bad for consumers

I think you have a lot of bark here with not a lot of bite. Your attitude towards AMD is that of an EXTREEEEME disliking. We get that, it's obvious.

But, we can go to the store now and get the 8350 for what, $139.99 from Microcenter. That to me does not translate to a "terrible waste of money". That seems like a rather smart and powerful investment, especially if you feel the need to OC that to 9590 speeds.

And coming from actually owning a 8370, I can tell you that sitting side by side with my 4790K with SLI 980's and my AMD 8370 with Crossfire 290X's, the "experience" I get is the same.

Only benchmarks set the stage of difference here. I could care less about a synthetic benchmark, when my FPS and gaming experience is still wonderful.

Your wrong about an i3 its not even in the ballpark... nobody games with i3s that's serious but serious gamers can game with an fx8350 and achieve the same the same things... and areas where I5s beat the a bulldozer its not $50 to $80 worth of performance its like 2-7 frames more.. I rather use that money for something else then 4 extra frames in a game

It seems it's always important to some Intel owners to point out to AMD owners that somehow their purchase or machine is inadequate. They usually go to some site and post benchmarks that no other site had results like that and say see it's slow. Been using 8350 for quite some time at 4.7ghz and it does the job and the 290x keeps my games running smooth. This also went on even when AMD actually had better chips then Intel, your best bet is to just ignore them and just buy what you want, after all it's your money. Zen will be AMD's first new chip in some time that people will care about, I imagine it will make the cpu war quite a bit closer.

It seems it's always important to some Intel owners to point out to AMD owners that somehow their purchase or machine is inadequate. They usually go to some site and post benchmarks that no other site had results like that and say see it's slow. Been using 8350 for quite some time at 4.7ghz and it does the job and the 290x keeps my games running smooth. This also went on even when AMD actually had better chips then Intel, your best bet is to just ignore them and just buy what you want, after all it's your money. Zen will be AMD's first new chip in some time that people will care about, I imagine it will make the cpu war quite a bit closer.

that gets a +1

show me a benchmark where the I5 beats a bulldozer with more then 10 frames in a game

That was already posted on the first page.. 2 of the 3 examples showed the i5 4670K beating the FX 9590 by more than 10 frames / sec.

You answered your own question.... it's because Intel is faster and has been for quite some time. Since this is an enthusiasts forum, it should be no surprise that many are somewhat frustrated with AMD's inability to compete on the high end.

With that said, the highest performance isn't always the only factor to consider. For a budget gaming rig, media server or general purpose machine I'd likely go with an AMD APU where cost would likely fall significantly below an Intel rig with no noticeable difference in performance. When performance is the only metric then unfortunately the only option is Intel.

Im telling you now my performance in those games looks exactly like the the i5 in those games and others... in GTA 5 alone Im at a smooth 60fps average and my chip only has the turbo boost to 3.8

In Canada,
8350 is the same price or more than the i5 4430, we dont have microcenter here, so anyone who gets that over the 4430 is definitely getting less value for his money imo.
I don't hate AMD, but I do hate the fact that they seriously have fallen so far behind that it is getting dangerous for consumers.

I like their GPUs though, but their CPU game is so bad that they are heading towards inevitable demise.

As I said, tell me if a $100 AMD beats a $100 Intel, $200 vs $200.

in my country, $230 = 8350.

dont ever compare the 8350 with a 4690k, that just makes you look stupid and then tell someone the performance is close enough for the price. It just makes you look stupid, compare same price CPUs.

This thread is useless with responses like this.

I don't care what benchmark or reviews you post no one can ever convince me that any i3 can out perform my FX8320 ever

You're not here to listen to peoples gripes with AMD CPUs. You're here to pat yourself on the back for owning an 8 core AMD and get pats on the back from other AMD owners.

For me the frustration with AMD is their inability to get their chips into interesting, desirable and competitive products on the shelves.

All the interesting gear out there is purely Intel. AMD's lack of performance isn't really an issue for the consumer as the consumer can't really buy their products in the first place unless they are doing a self build. In which case you should know what you are getting.

That and the fact they have never learnt the art of marketing to the general public.

Where's the AMD jingle? It's not that hard.

Im telling you now my performance in those games looks exactly like the the i5 in those games and others... in GTA 5 alone Im at a smooth 60fps average and my chip only has the turbo boost to 3.8

The same way i play on my i3 4160 at 60 fps, everything except crysis 3, AC : U.
including fc4, gta v, bf h.

And i payed much less than the 8 series chip, so doesnt that make mine better by your own definition?

Last edited:
Is it remotely possible that AMD users have a psychological inferiority complex that leads them to create threads to somehow defend their purchases?

Is it remotely possible that AMD users have a psychological inferiority complex that leads them to create threads to somehow defend their purchases?

I think the purpose of the thread should be to objectively compare which one is better, which no doubt Intel is.

But AMD isn't that bad, the reason i learnt so much about AMD is because i wanted to buy a 8320 and watercool/OC it for fun but I ended up doing the research that i won't gain much over my i3.

someone who bought a FX chip on a crazy deal, got a nice value.
someone who wants to compare apples to apples, Intel wins.

I have to defend my purchase because it does what yours do any day any time... I cant speak for the chips that those people used in those benches but I do know when I turn my game on, my real time experience compares to the numbers im seeing in those top benches I see people post in these talk groups... and that's the bottom line... so if a question is asked if the 8320-8370 is good enough because I want to save money my answer is yes...

All of us who have Intel and AMD machines know why AMD FX chips are such inferior products GAMING STRICTLY RELATED and i have to say GAMING... and OP if you want to believe or not is not my business and isn't the problem of any other people in this forum.. there are only a couple of games where you can really compare a FX 8350 with a i3 . and just compare.. Bf4, Crysis 3, maybe metro Last light.. but that's all?.. even in GTA V any i5 will play much better than any other FX chip..

Also.. This Thread should be closed ASAP.. things are starting to become a flame war specially when the OP have just 1 day in the forum and its acting totally hostile..

hostility is not my intent it just bothers me when people act like AMD cpus are not good enough when they are good enough... they get the job done very well... especially in my business video editing... they told me I had to have the top of the line i7 and wouldn't cut it but I have been successful for the past 4 years with my AMD machines

I don't know, do some Intel owners have a small penile syndrome that requires them to bash anyone else that did not buy Intel? I find it funny that people that hate AMD are always over here in the AMD section telling people how inferior they are, yet I dont own Intel and I have never trolled that forum even during the prescott days.

I have to defend my purchase because it does what yours do any day any time... I cant speak for the chips that those people used in those benches but I do know when I turn my game on, my real time experience compares to the numbers im seeing in those top benches I see people post in these talk groups... and that's the bottom line... so if a question is asked if the 8320-8370 is good enough because I want to save money my answer is yes...

And don't forget as well a lot of the CPU related reviews in regards to gaming with AMD cpu's are quite old now. It's not ALL based on the CPU alone, the GPU plays a large role as well as the Drivers that are in use. Driver updates alone can increase FPS as well.. :) - I am agreeing with you in case you don't notice.

(Good type of thread to open with as well, posts are gonna stack real quick)

Last edited:
hostility is not my intent it just bothers me when people act like AMD cpus are not good enough when they are good enough... they get the job done very well... especially in my business video editing... they told me I had to have the top of the line i7 and wouldn't cut it but I have been successful for the past 4 years with my AMD machines

and that's why speaking strictly about gaming.. they are inferior to intel offerings... trust me i love my FX chips, the most recently chips i got its a FX 9590 which replaced a FX 6300 but what.. they are for work.. in heavy multitasking FX chips are great even to match and surpass some stock 4c/8t i7s.. but in the gaming realm things are completely different.. and that's the main reason I have an i7 machine as personal rig for gaming and not a FX machine.. nobody is saying they are bad chips.. but also nobody forget how much cost those chips at launch (do you remember the 900$ FX 9590 at launch?) they have a low cost because AMD knows what are the intel offering and how most low end intel chips perform better generally speaking..

And don't forget as well a lot of the CPU related reviews in regards to gaming with AMD cpu's are quite old now. It's not ALL based on the CPU alone, the GPU plays a large role as well as the Drivers that are in use. Driver updates alone can increase FPS as well.. :)

So a 1680x1050 benchmark is useless? But intel wins those! So intel must be better. /sarcasm

Also, people are also missing the AMD APU based gaming benchmarks. Where Intel fails hard.

Back