What's the point of XP 64 now? (not the usual question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djnes

Fully [H]
My question is, what's the point of all these people trying to get ahold of XP 64 bit to run right now on their machines? Aside from the fact it's in extreme beta form and isn't very stable, and aside from the problem of finding drivers, I just don't see the point. None of the applications we typically use at home are even written for anyting above 32 bit.

I completely understand why corporations and software developers would be testing with it, but why home users? Or is this just another example of people doing something simply because they can, despite not having any logical reasons to do so?

Also, don't give a lecture on why 64 bit computing is a good thing. We're all aware of that. I'm not debating the future of 64 bit computing for everyone...I'm wondering why so many people are concerned with running XP 64 right now.

Damn, read the post.

When a official release comes out I'll install it. None of this beta shit.

it can't become stable and bugfree for the final release if nobody tests it and reports the bugs.

some people are enthusiasts, early adopters by nature. It is just their curious nature to tinker, test, and play with the latest stuff. theres nothing wrong with it, and they will probably have the individual kinks worked out for their system, and be ready for the final.

jamesrb said:
it can't become stable and bugfree for the final release if nobody tests it and reports the bugs..

As I stated before, I completely understand why companies and software developers want to get their hands on it.

Once again, read my post. I'm asking why so many people are rushing to get it on their home, main systems.

Please people, either answer the question and participate in the discussion, or don't post anything. I'm not an idiot or a child that needs a lecture on the software design life cycle.

djnes said:
As I stated before, I completely understand why companies and software developers want to get their hands on it.

Once again, read my post. I'm asking why so many people are rushing to get it on their home, main systems.

Please people, either answer the question and participate in the discussion, or don't post anything. I'm not an idiot or a child that needs a lecture on the software design life cycle.

yeah, but "companies and software developers" do not do the same tasks as home users. Home users have completely different sets of issues to deal with (issues that wont likely show up in a strictly production environment), and there has to be somebody to test these.

if you dont want to test it, dont test it. But why waste time and energy questioning the people that do. Just let us be...

jamesrb said:
yeah, but "companies and software developers" do not do the same tasks as home users. Home users have completely different sets of issues to deal with (issues that wont likely show up in a strictly production environment), and there has to be somebody to test these.

Right, as I said EXACTLY above...the software developers....as in the guys (and girls) who develop drivers (which are software) for these devices like TV Tuner cards, etc that people use at home. Again, I was referring to why regular people want to run it on their home, main systems. I'm asking a common sense logical question, and getting anything but in my responses.

djnes said:
Right, as I said EXACTLY above...the software developers....as in the guys (and girls) who develop drivers (which are software) for these devices like TV Tuner cards, etc that people use at home. Again, I was referring to why regular people want to run it on their home, main systems. I'm asking a common sense logical question, and getting anything but in my responses.

I ran it for a while to see how stable it was (stable) , and how well it ran my development environment (worked fine) and to see the status of driver support (all worked good except my printer). for laughs and giggles I tried a few games. they worked ok.

it was fun, and i learned some stuff. what other reason do I need to want to try it?

Steel Chicken said:
I ran it for a while to see how stable it was (stable) , and how well it ran my development environment (worked fine) and to see the status of driver support (all worked good except my printer). for laughs and giggles I tried a few games. they worked ok.

it was fun, and i learned some stuff. what other reason do I need to want to try it?

Holy shit, an intelligent response! Your exactly what my point was. You tried it in a testing environment, so the sake of knowledge and research. I'm referring to the massive amount of threads we have with people installing it on their main systems, and then complaining that something isn't working right, or that drivers aren't available.

djnes said:

if its a "common sense logical question" why dont you have the answer?

How many people that are writing drivers on 64-bit systems have the time to sit around and play games, watch movies, run file sharing, etc, things that are normal uses for home users?

Also, thats another issue, people have to beta test the drivers too. The people that write the drivers do not have the time to sit around and test every possible function and use in every possible set up. Thats why there are beta drivers, for people to test.

Well it's installed on my work box. ;)

Cause it's new therefore it must be better syndrome. But I'm glad for that syndrome, since it helps uncover some great bugs.

personally, I feel the more its used, the more bugs can be identified and fixed.

I might add, I only recently started using XP for my main systems, I was perfectly happy with 2K for the longest time.

Becuase my main rig uses an AMD64, I will most likely upgrade (dual boot of course) to XP-64 when its released.

jamesrb said:
if its a "common sense logical question" why dont you have the answer?

How many people that are writing drivers on 64-bit systems have the time to sit around and play games, watch movies, run file sharing, etc, things that are normal uses for home users?

Also, thats another issue, people have to beta test the drivers too. The people that write the drivers do not have the time to sit around and test every possible function and use in every possible set up. Thats why there are beta drivers, for people to test.

Actually, yes they do. That's part of their job, and part of the software design life cycle. Perhaps you should look into that a bit more to know what I'm talking about. When you create a product, you do the testing for it on the intended OSes. For example, if your writing drivers for a joystick to work in XP 64, you TEST it. If your writing a game to run on XP 64, you TEST it. Part of any design cycle is the testing phase. See where I'm going with this? No, didn't think so.

Look around on the forums and see how many people complain about having to be beta testers for many various companies "final" products. It's because very few companies value the need for in-house testing. Most of them have your attitude. Fuck it...why should we test when Joe Schmo can do it for us.

Any company that's making products for XP 64 should be doing the testing themselves. Do you remember how many companies had failed products after SP2? All because they didn't adequately test their own shit? Now do you follow?

Steel Chicken said:
personally, I feel the more its used, the more bugs can be identified and fixed.

I couldn't agree more....on a testing platform, with no full expectations for functionality.

I'll close this thread before jamesrb's lack of comprehension and plethora of attitude get him in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back