Whats the point of a high dpi gaming mouse?

I use a Razer Diamondback Plasma LE (yes, it's 5 years old) at 1600 DPI. When I first got it I was running at 1280x1024 and it was *way* too fast. Now that I'm running at 1920x1080 it's great.

I don't even move my mouse laterally to spin 180 in game. I hold the mouse with two fingers (I wear a wrist brace and that's all I can get on it) and twist it. I have a very worn center on my mousepad.

I upped my USB polling on XP years ago, how do you do it on Windows 7?

I use a Razer Diamondback Plasma LE (yes, it's 5 years old) at 1600 DPI. When I first got it I was running at 1280x1024 and it was *way* too fast. Now that I'm running at 1920x1080 it's great.

Thats where adjusting the sensitivity helps out. If you went from say, 400 DPI with a 5 sensitivity in-game, that translates to 1.25 sensitivity at 1600 DPI. Cursor will be the same speed but smoother.

I don't even move my mouse laterally to spin 180 in game. I hold the mouse with two fingers (I wear a wrist brace and that's all I can get on it) and twist it. I have a very worn center on my mousepad.

I upped my USB polling on XP years ago, how do you do it on Windows 7?

Yeah my wrist was killing me before I switched to very quick speed, years ago. It really helps wrist pain by not having to cover the entire distance of the mouse pad.

USB rate is in the drivers these days.

I have a MX518 and I always set my sensivity to around halfway or slightly higher. I don't know why I do that when most people play with a lot less sensivity. It just seems to work for me for some reason.

I tried out a Lachesis for a while, I didn't like it very much. It was high precision, but it felt a little slippery.

In BFBC2, I change the setting on my MX518 between recon and vehicle roles, for example. Lowering the DPI means I can snipe without minor movements affecting a long shot and raising it means I can turn a tank turret pretty quickly, which can be game-changing.

Last edited:
Really ? I tried changable sensitivity and my opinion was that what ever i gained in sniping was lost because i had to adjust my hand movements to two sensitivities.

In BFBC2, I change the setting on my MX518 between recon and vehicle roles, for example. Lowering the DPI means I can snipe without minor movements affecting a long shot and raising it means I can turn a tank turret pretty quickly, which can be game-changing.

The Razer on the fly sensitivity changing is good for this, although it doesn't seem to work in BC2 without alt tabbing the game to show the OSD bar. However the DPI up/down works OK I sometimes use that on the large sniping maps and then switch back when I'm playing CQB.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't live without my 5600 dpi mouse now that I've switched. My 360* turn movement is about five millimeters, and I love it - it's gotten so much more comfortable for me to game. The cursor practically responds to my thoughts instead of my movements - it's amazing.

Åndhrimnir;1035496325 said:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't live without my 5600 dpi mouse now that I've switched. My 360* turn movement is about five millimeters, and I love it - it's gotten so much more comfortable for me to game. The cursor practically responds to my thoughts instead of my movements - it's amazing.

Man i prefer a slightly bigger swipe for 360 turn.5mm would kill my head.

5mm with a 5600 DPI mouse? I wouldn't be able to aim with that setup because my pulse would move the mouse too much.

On the other hand, if EA comes out with Olympic Ice Skating Simulator, you'd be doing spins like no other.

Back