What's the next phone I should get?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
A little bit of back story: A couple months ago, when T-mobile started their no contract plans, I called them up and got them to give me the new no contract rates for the remainder of my 2- year contract (pretty nice of them). My monthly bill for four smartphones is now only $100, which can't be beat. Now, however, I've gotten sick of tolerating my old, buggy, and outdated Sidekick 4G. Anyone who knows anything about this phone will tell you how many issues it has had since its release. Well, anyway, since I can't lock in a two-year contract anymore, the next phone I get I will have to pay full price for. I'm not too picky on which phone it is, but I don't want to spend anything more than $400. I've been looking at the Nexus 4 and possibly a used GS3. What do you guys have in mind? I also came across the Galaxy Nexus. I can buy the unlocked GSM version for $230 or so on ebay. From what I can tell, the Galaxy Nexus still seems like a pretty modern phone, but idk. Like I said, almost anything will be an improvement over my phone. I want either the best phone for $400 or the cheapest decent phone for significantly less.

For under $400? Nexus 4 from Google Play -- going used likely won't make you all that happy, and the Nexus 4 will give you the fast, long-term updates that most Android OEMs can't (or simply won't) offer.

A little bit of back story: A couple months ago, when T-mobile started their no contract plans, I called them up and got them to give me the new no contract rates for the remainder of my 2- year contract (pretty nice of them). My monthly bill for four smartphones is now only $100, which can't be beat. Now, however, I've gotten sick of tolerating my old, buggy, and outdated Sidekick 4G. Anyone who knows anything about this phone will tell you how many issues it has had since its release. Well, anyway, since I can't lock in a two-year contract anymore, the next phone I get I will have to pay full price for. I'm not too picky on which phone it is, but I don't want to spend anything more than $400. I've been looking at the Nexus 4 and possibly a used GS3. What do you guys have in mind? I also came across the Galaxy Nexus. I can buy the unlocked GSM version for $230 or so on ebay. From what I can tell, the Galaxy Nexus still seems like a pretty modern phone, but idk. Like I said, almost anything will be an improvement over my phone. I want either the best phone for $400 or the cheapest decent phone for significantly less.

Keep in mind that all T-Mobile did was separate the phone subsidy from the service price. You can still get a phone "subsidized" through T-Mobile just as you would have before this change. You pay less up front, but the installments are tacked on to your service price, bringing it back in line to what it was before.

So, you can still get a device like the Galaxy S4 ($149.99) or the HTC One ($99.99), and will just have to pay $20/mo extra, which may even be cheaper than your old service price anyway.

But if you really want a phone outright for $400, the Nexus 4 16GB is the best Android device. If you need something with expandable storage and/or removable battery, look for a used Galaxy S3/S2, or comparable device.

For Windows Phone 8, the Lumia 521 is dirt cheap ($129.99 from Walmart) and has surprisingly capable hardware that is somewhere between the S2 and S3 in capability (no flash on the 5MP camera though) and a 4" display. Simply amazing device and, IMO, the best device cheaper than the Nexus 4. Nothing else in that $200 gap compares.

Honestly, a nexus 4 is a really phenomenal phone for such a low unsubsidized price. I bought one from the playstore before switching over to the ip5 and it worked really well on tmobile. I had pretty great speeds around where I live (chicago) and the the phone overall was just very fluid. Much better than what android phones where maybe 2-3 years ago. A used galaxy note 2 would also be pretty bad ass if you're into the whole larger screen and everything.

If money wasn't limited I would probably sell my iphone and head over to the htc one since I personally think it's one of the best phones you can buy in the market right now. But yeah just my opinions is all.

I don't know if you thought about this but you could put that 400 down on the new phone thru t mobile and it will drastically lower your monthly payment on that phone. My note 2 came out to $669 with tax, you'd pay $11.20 a month for that phone if you put $400 down, it would be the same price for a new S4 also.

You have options which is nice, look around and see what you like. If it were me and I had $400 cash I'd buy a nexus 4 outright thru Google honestly.

I don't believe you can beat the Nexus 4 in terms of performance/price.

Current top phone in the market according to reviews is the HTC One.

You may want to try Lenovo IdeaPhone S890. The features are okay and the price is quite affordable compare with the leading smartphone brands.

Nexus 4 @ $349 is hard to beat, off contract. Plus it will be the first phone to receive Android 4.3 this Summer, and second phone to get Android 5.0 this Fall, after the Nexus-Five first, obviously.

The Note 2 is still a killer phone, and will be getting Android 4.2.2 in the next few weeks per rumors, and get a lot of the S4 apps, too.

Back