What's the next best step to improve my audio setup?

anything can be hooked up to a computer, its just a matter of knowing what you're doing
the M1's would require some amplification but other than that, no problem, I'm really not gonna list every passive bookshelf or floorstander up to around $400/pair though

and the M1's are far and away from absolute high fidelity, but you didn't say unlimited buget

as far as no Bose, you ask for all of the options, expect a "good better best" ideology, yet won't acknowledge stuff that actually fits your general criteria :eek:

sounds to me like you should spend some time reading, learning, etc

I didn't ask you to list every bookshelf speaker ever manufactured...I simply asked your opinion on what you thought were good bookshelf speakers. Your top 5 would have been good enough. But if that is too much for you......:confused:

Or perhaps you are just interested in being rude......How exactly does Bose fit my general criteria? Have you heard their speakers? You can't in all honesty tell me that they fit my requirements for high quality speaker setup especially when you decry the Klipsch.

And how are the M1'S
far and away from absolute high fidelity
?

Or do you expect spending on the order of $5000+ for computer speakers?

I think perhaps you too need also to do some reading, develop some common courtesy and tone down your arrogance.

EDIT: We come to these forums to learn and be advised by people with greater knowledge than ourselves. We seek their advice for this reason. It appears for some people this is too much....:(

I didn't ask you to list every bookshelf speaker ever manufactured...I simply asked your opinion on what you thought were good bookshelf speakers. Your top 5 would have been good enough. But if that is too much for you......:confused:

Or perhaps you are just interested in being rude......How exactly does Bose fit my general criteria? Have you heard their speakers? You can't in all honesty tell me that they fit my requirements for high quality speaker setup especially when you decry the Klipsch.

And how are the M1'S ?

Or do you expect spending on the order of $5000+ for computer speakers?

I think perhaps you too need also to do some reading, develop some common courtesy and tone down your arrogance.

EDIT: We come to these forums to learn and be advised by people with greater knowledge than ourselves. We seek their advice for this reason. It appears for some people this is too much....:(

so here's your criteria:
1. Speakers that fit on the desk i.e. not monstrously huge and will fit in a decent sized room.
2. Look decent on the desk
3. Better audio quality than the Klipsch (subjective I know...but if widely acknowledged as amazing fidelity what does it matter )

Here's where the Bose actually fit that (you also stated $500 or less):
1 They do fit on the desk, they aren't monstrous, they're quite compact
2 They look fairly decent, at least in many people's opinion (this is entirely subjective, and you can't say "oh well my opinion is objective and I get to decide if it fits or not" just because you disagree)
3 Many people do recognize Bose as producing high quality products, they consistently win awards, and have industry leading customer satisfaction, so again, based on the subjective criteria they would fit

so simply saying "no you can't say that, have you ever heard them, you're dumb" because your criteria describe something you dislike isn't exactly...fair

as far as this moralistic "you're a big meanie head and not helping me and I'm just a little innocent shrew who wanted to learn" rant, spare me, you posted stating "nothing could possibly be better" (I'm guessing without reading the thread completely, as if you notice, I don't actually "decry" the Klipsch anywhere), and then stated a fairly high working budget of around $500

and I responded, there is no objective "best", and for $500 there are many more options with more inputs, outputs, and overall features, because its a move into more legitimate home theatre instead of multimedia audio, somehow that statement equates to some morally evil "hate the new guy" logic...:rolleyes:

as far as "its too much for you to list your "top 5"", as I've said a few times now, there is no objective "best", within the $100 and under price range you can probably count the suitable products on your fingers and toes (meaning stuff that will actually reliably work out of the box, and has a warranty and customer service that actually does something)

however when we blow the budget up to $500 we've got tens of thousands of combinations that can be made to suit all tastes and situations, what works for me is fine for me but probably not for you or the next guy, so there is no point in getting into a highly subjective "this is the best because I said so and I make the most noise so I'm obviously the most authoritative" yelling match, take a look at the pictures thread, only a few of those systems are multi-thousand dollar, see the variety?

as far as the M1 comment, my point is that yeah, they're fine speakers, they aren't full range, and they aren't "the best ever" just because they've got the B&W logo stamped on them and cost $450/pair, but yes, they are an option available to consumers, and after you more or less insisted that the Klipsch parts have no equal or better in their price range (which somehow ballooned to $500), you then insisted the M1's are the next best thing to sliced bread: "Short of the B&W M1 satellite speakers which are not really designed for puters, what is there for top notch audio?"

but thats ok, those of us with training and knowledge give our time freely to try and help those around us, we try to help people make better educated choices, yet understand that not spoon-feeding every single new jack a solution (lest they have to think, let alone learn) is taken as insulting by some

-bob

I removed what I wrote as it was not a very nice rant. About people thread jacking and whining instead of trying to learn something from the information provided to them.

so here's your criteria:

so simply saying "no you can't say that, have you ever heard them, you're dumb" because your criteria describe something you dislike isn't exactly...fair

as far as this moralistic "you're a big meanie head and not helping me and I'm just a little innocent shrew who wanted to learn" rant, spare me, you posted stating "nothing could possibly be better" (I'm guessing without reading the thread completely, as if you notice, I don't actually "decry" the Klipsch anywhere), and then stated a fairly high working budget of around $500

and I responded, there is no objective "best", and for $500 there are many more options with more inputs, outputs, and overall features, because its a move into more legitimate home theatre instead of multimedia audio, somehow that statement equates to some morally evil "hate the new guy" logic...:rolleyes:

as far as "its too much for you to list your "top 5"", as I've said a few times now, there is no objective "best", within the $100 and under price range you can probably count the suitable products on your fingers and toes (meaning stuff that will actually reliably work out of the box, and has a warranty and customer service that actually does something)

-bob

"nothing could possibly be better" - Where did I say this?

there is no objective "best" - I asked for your subjective opinion. Something I will be sure never to ask you again.

Basically:

1. I can see that you like to argue
2. You have v little pertinent or useful information to add re a basic query
3. Recommending Bose when there are so many options out there is just plain lazy
4. I am beginning to doubt you have ever heard these speakers live beacause otherwise you would not be recommending them. They would never fit my criteria...

Even I could come up with something like the Keff satellites or Dali Fazons as a valid recommendation and I'm just a Noob. Surely a pro would know of something/anything more suitable?

As for hijacking this thread....How? EDIT: Snufykat. Okay you have taken it down. But my explanation/sentiments still holds

I have merely gone along with the drift of the thread that slowly changed from the OP's original query into a full blown discussion about changing his speaker setup....Which funnily enough I am considering also.

I never wanted this to get to this point. I asked what I thought was a really simple question. Not even question. I asked for opinions/thoughts/options. Really not hard. Just off the top of your head.

All not forthcoming. I thought maybe the OP would be interested in options also.

Oh well....

EDIT2: Found this gem of information.

Originally Posted by black0ut
Also, this is not exactly the best place to ask audiophile questions... head-fi is a better choice

I will ask there. Was not aware that [H] was not the place for this. Sorry....:(

Last edited:
Yes...open to all options..Please list away:

1. Speakers that fit on the desk i.e. not monstrously huge and will fit in a decent sized room.
2. Look decent on the desk
3. Better audio quality than the Klipsch (subjective I know...but if widely acknowledged as amazing fidelity what does it matter )
4. What abou something like the B&W M1 satellites or Polk Audio satellites. Can they be hooked up to a computer?

Useful I think for OP so he can replace his Logitechs....easily available yes...but better options abound.

EDIT: And please don't say Bose. :(

I REALLY enjoy my Mordaunt Short Avant 902i bookshelf speakers. They may be a little larger than what you are hoping for, but they are nothing short of amazing imo. They aren't as colored as some other speakers, but they really give you a natural and balanced sound. I use a NAD integrated amp to power them and it does a great job of delivering the goods.

Although I'm not a fan of Klipsch speakers (the reference series are pretty good from what I hear), the 902i's give you an honest and very dynamic representation of music that stays closer to what the actual recording is supposed to sound like. I bought mine for $225 at accessories4less, but I just checked, and it seems they no longer sell them. :(

Review from what-fi (although, I don't agree that they are overly bright...may be my NAD amp that is warming them a little): http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Mordaunt-Short-Avant-902i/

Here's a couple pics of my desk so that you can get an idea of their size:

img0029ta.jpg

img0028if.jpg

Back