What's the most powerful AGP videocard out?

Polish

Limp Gawd
Specifically for gaming. What would be the best/most powerful AGP videocard as a last upgrade before making the jump to PCI-E? The Leadtek 7600 GT? Or maybe the x850xtpe? What do you guys think?

Is the 7800GS faster or slower then the 7600GT? I thought the 7600GT was slower.

X850XT in terms of raw speed and performance. The price is a lot better than 7800GS.

I saw some reviews that said the 7600GT (There is only one AGP version of this card, made by leadtek) scored higher than the 7800GS cards. There were some reviews postedon this, I'll try and find the links.

Gainward Bliss 7800 GS 512mb (full 7800GT core), Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ (full 7900GT core).

Those are the two fastest, and believe me they are quite considerably faster than aan x850xtpe.

BlastRadius said:
Gainward Bliss 7800 GS 512mb (full 7800GT core), Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ (full 7900GT core).

Those are the two fastest, and believe me they are quite considerably faster than aan x850xtpe.
Yes!

Bullzenith: XFX just announced that they are making an AGP 7600GT as well. Hopefully this will help availability on these rare little guys.

BlastRadius said:

Wow. I want one. :D

Comparison straight form manufacturer's website:

Bliss 7800gs+:

Product Name: BA7800GS-512-GS-TV-DD
Barcode: 471846200-7876
GPU: GeForce 7800GS
GPU Clockspeed: 450 MHz
Memory: 512MB 1,4ns DDR3
Memory Clockspeed: 1250 MHz
Pixels per clock (peak) :
Bandwidth: GB/s
Ramdac: MHz
Bus: AGP-8X
Cooling: Fan (Two-slot)
Video-Features: Component, S-Video & Composite Out
Connectivity: Dvi + Dvi + Video-Out

XFX 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition:

Clock rate: 580 MHz
Dual Link DVI - Supporting digital output up to 2560x1600: YES
Memory Clock: 1.5 GHz
Chipset: GeForce 7600 GT
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Type: AGP 8X
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Bus: 128 bit
Highlighted Features: Dual DVI Out , HDTV ready , TV Out
Memory Interface: 256 bit
Pixels per Clock (peak): 12
Memory Bandwidth: 22.4 GB/Sec
RAMDACs: 400 MHz
Vertices Per Second: 700
Fill Rate: 6.7 Billion pixels/sec

The 7600gt has less mem but it's got the 7800gs+ beat on clock speed and rate...

JimmyChunX said:
The 7600gt has less mem but it's got the 7800gs+ beat on clock speed and rate...
That, and unless you're playing at uber resolutions the 256 is more than enough. Go with the 7600 GT.

and let's not forget the leadtek direct quote...

A7600gt

GPU: GeForce 7600 GT
Graphics Bus: AGP 8X
Memory size: 256MB DDR3
GPU/Memory clock: 560/1400MHz
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Memory bandwidth( GB/sec.): 22.4
Fill Rate(billion texels/sec): 6.7
Vertices/sec (million): 700
Pixels per clock (peak): 12
RAMDACs (MHz): 400
Connectors: HDTV-out / Dual link DVI-I/D-Sub
Multi-Display: Yes

Now, all we gotta do is get someone to start selling these 7600GT cards and we will be golden... :mad:

you cant compare a card soley on clock speeds, bu the 7600gt is a kick ass card i love it. also 256mb memory is more then enough for 1600x1200 and below

Domini said:
you cant compare a card soley on clock speeds, bu the 7600gt is a kick ass card i love it. also 256mb memory is more then enough for 1600x1200 and below

this is true... which is why I posted ALL of the available stats instead of just the clock speeds...

I want one of these cards SO BAD it hurts... I just wish I could find one somewhere!

Done some further research, and it does appear the gainward 7800GS+ cards actually do use the 7900GT Chips. However...they run about 400 dollars total importing them from EU since gainward doesnt sell in the US anymore. Not only that, but there is only a limited one time run of 1500 7800GS+ cards, and 2500 of the 7800GS cards(which seem to use the 7800GT chips). I'm fixed on getting that gainward card now, I just may have to import one.

I found the 7600GT leadtek card at a shady website about a week ago. I called them and they were out of stock, but supposedly getting more in stock today. I ordered a klipsch 2.1 system from there and that went without a hitch, but their resellerratings.com rating is crap. Order at your own risk, I would recommend you call them before ordering. Link:

http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/control/Computer3G/productdetails?id=49053

so even if the 7600 has faster clocks the 7800 should have more features etc right?

i saw this too, somewhere a 7600 beat a 7800, and it struck me as odd.....and i know my 7800gs oc owns

JimmyChunX said:
Comparison straight form manufacturer's website:

Bliss 7800gs+:

Product Name: BA7800GS-512-GS-TV-DD
Barcode: 471846200-7876
GPU: GeForce 7800GS
GPU Clockspeed: 450 MHz
Memory: 512MB 1,4ns DDR3
Memory Clockspeed: 1250 MHz
Pixels per clock (peak) :
Bandwidth: GB/s
Ramdac: MHz
Bus: AGP-8X
Cooling: Fan (Two-slot)
Video-Features: Component, S-Video & Composite Out
Connectivity: Dvi + Dvi + Video-Out

XFX 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition:

Clock rate: 580 MHz
Dual Link DVI - Supporting digital output up to 2560x1600: YES
Memory Clock: 1.5 GHz
Chipset: GeForce 7600 GT
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Type: AGP 8X
Memory Type: DDR3
Memory Bus: 128 bit
Highlighted Features: Dual DVI Out , HDTV ready , TV Out
Memory Interface: 256 bit
Pixels per Clock (peak): 12
Memory Bandwidth: 22.4 GB/Sec
RAMDACs: 400 MHz
Vertices Per Second: 700
Fill Rate: 6.7 Billion pixels/sec

Perhaps if I fill in some of the blank entries on the 7800GS+ above, it will help your thinking:

Memory Bus: 256 bit (double the memory bandwidth of the 7600)
Pixels per Clock (peak): 24 (double the pipelines of the 7600)

Bottom line: You don't need high clocks when you do twice as much work per clock.

A standard 7800GS, being a crippled 7800GT gpu with 4 more pipes than the 7600GT but slower clocks and an older version of the architecture, wins some/loses some against the 7600GT. In this comparison, the much lower price of the 7600GT makes it the better bargain.

The Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ uses a fully functional 7900GT GPU with the same core clock speed and somewhat slower memory speed. There's two ways to think of this card--either it's an AGP 7900GT with twice the memory, or it's a significantly downclocked AGP 7900 GTX. People who've bought them report good overclocking results, pushing the card closer to GTX territory (or at least factory-overclocked 7900GT territory, but again with twice the memory). The high-end aftermarket cooler makes it easy to hit high clocks on "stock" cooling.

Do you think the 7600GT would even be on the same playing field? Its only advantage over this particular 7800GS is price. If maximum AGP performance is the goal, there is no substitute for the Bliss +. At least until the ATi AGP X1950 Pro appears, if ever.

Wait a month or so, I believe Diamond is going to be releasing an ATI x1950pro for AGP--for $199 or so (+slight retail markup, of course). That's assuming it's not just a rumor.

mrjminer said:
Wait a month or so, I believe Diamond is going to be releasing an ATI x1950pro for AGP--for $199 or so (+slight retail markup, of course). That's assuming it's not just a rumor.

Supposed to be happening sometime this month in fact. That $199 price point is almost shocking, but I'm sure the core and memory speeds will be significantly less than the PCI-E X1950 cards we've seen.

Still it should be the perfoamce crown for AGP if it's released. :D

Blue Falcon said:
Supposed to be happening sometime this month in fact. That $199 price point is almost shocking, but I'm sure the core and memory speeds will be significantly less than the PCI-E X1950 cards we've seen.

Does that card out-preform the 7900gt?

I'm one of the lucky few with a 7600GT agp. It certainly does out bench a 7800GS at most tasks. Those Gainward models are a different story of course. But at more than double the price of my 7600GT it was easy to see why I went with the 76GT instead of the $400+ Gainward Bliss.
For pure performance sure the Gainwards rule the agp market hands down. Since that was the issue of the OP I think we can put this one to rest.

Bullzenith said:
Specifically for gaming. What would be the best/most powerful AGP videocard as a last upgrade before making the jump to PCI-E? The Leadtek 7600 GT? ...
There has been some comment that the Leadtek has problems with several versions of ForceWare (e.g. see http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=600406).

A Japanese review of this card (www.4gamer.net/review/a7600gt/a7600gt.shtml) mentions using ForceWare 91.32.

As an alternative XFX now lists two 7600GT AGP cards, and they both have dual DL-DVI!
PV-T73A-UDF7:- XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 560 Mhz 700 Mhz DL-DVI/DL-DVI/TV
PV-T73A-UDE7:- XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 XXX Edition 580 Mhz 750 Mhz DL-DVI/DL-DVI/TV
Also, the PV-T73A-UDF7 seems to be ~10% cheaper than the Leadtek.

Adrian

Commander Suzdal said:
Perhaps if I fill in some of the blank entries on the 7800GS+ above, it will help your thinking:

Memory Bus: 256 bit (double the memory bandwidth of the 7600)
Pixels per Clock (peak): 24 (double the pipelines of the 7600)

Bottom line: You don't need high clocks when you do twice as much work per clock.

A standard 7800GS, being a crippled 7800GT gpu with 4 more pipes than the 7600GT but slower clocks and an older version of the architecture, wins some/loses some against the 7600GT. In this comparison, the much lower price of the 7600GT makes it the better bargain.

The Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ uses a fully functional 7900GT GPU with the same core clock speed and somewhat slower memory speed. There's two ways to think of this card--either it's an AGP 7900GT with twice the memory, or it's a significantly downclocked AGP 7900 GTX. People who've bought them report good overclocking results, pushing the card closer to GTX territory (or at least factory-overclocked 7900GT territory, but again with twice the memory). The high-end aftermarket cooler makes it easy to hit high clocks on "stock" cooling.

Do you think the 7600GT would even be on the same playing field? Its only advantage over this particular 7800GS is price. If maximum AGP performance is the goal, there is no substitute for the Bliss +. At least until the ATi AGP X1950 Pro appears, if ever.

Thanks for filling in those blank spots... those were bugging me... I would've brought more attention to them and concidered them more if they were there originally...

With the new info it is looking like the 7800gs+ (imported, 7900 core) has it beat, but I just can't get over the PRICE!!!

Happy Hopping said:
does any of these AGP card support Dual link at 2560x1600?
All three are supposed to. And the two XFX parts are supposed to support two DL-DVI @ 2560x1600.

Adrian

JimmyChunX said:
Thanks for filling in those blank spots... those were bugging me... I would've brought more attention to them and concidered them more if they were there originally...

With the new info it is looking like the 7800gs+ (imported, 7900 core) has it beat, but I just can't get over the PRICE!!!
I hear ya! I'm running a 6800GT, and I'd love to step up to one of these monsters--after all, I paid the same for my current card! But it just seems like a waste when I could get a good boost for a lot less money. Plus the nervous factor of ordering a card from overseas.

In the end, I really have to wait for a total upgrade anyway--I just don't think my poor little mobile Barton CPU has enough gas left in it to justify a big GPU upgrade. I know [H] and others have done a lot of work to show how little of a bottleneck the CPU can be (and I'm thankful for that kind of reality check), but surely an older CPU like mine really WOULD be a bottleneck?

my old barton 2500+ oc to 3200+ seemed to hold me back, i was still getting big frame rate drops with my 7800 with all the goodies on high....when i stelled up to a nforce3 board and a 4000+ cpu, all that went away

but then again bf2 is just a big hawg :)

P3N1X0R said:
my old barton 2500+ oc to 3200+ seemed to hold me back, i was still getting big frame rate drops with my 7800 with all the goodies on high....when i stelled up to a nforce3 board and a 4000+ cpu, all that went away

but then again bf2 is just a big hawg :)
That's a perfect example, thanks--now I know for sure. I'll just sell this to somebody who wants a deal on an every-day computer, keep the Audigy 2ZS card and the biggest of the 3 HDs, and get myself a Conroe setup with maybe a mid-range G80 when they become available.

WHY AGP ??

I'm a current AGP owner.. but the harsh reality is that an AGP purchase is only a temporary solution. Whether we like it or not, and whether there are hardly any gains seen using PCI-E over AGP or not, you have to move with the industry.

So, i suggest to all those thinking of picking up a AGP solution, get your AGP card, but pick one that's value for money - 7600GT

and save the extra cash and pick up a kick-ass PCI-E based rig later..

commodore said:
WHY AGP ??

I'm a current AGP owner.. but the harsh reality is that an AGP purchase is only a temporary solution. Whether we like it or not, and whether there are hardly any gains seen using PCI-E over AGP or not, you have to move with the industry.

So, i suggest to all those thinking of picking up a AGP solution, get your AGP card, but pick one that's value for money - 7600GT

and save the extra cash and pick up a kick-ass PCI-E based rig later..

Only if your a hard core gamer. Today's games play just fine on the high end AGP cards and I have 3 AGP systems and have no intentions of building new for at least another 3 years.

So basically they lose out on my money.

Rob94hawk said:
Only if your a hard core gamer. Today's games play just fine on the high end AGP cards and I have 3 AGP systems and have no intentions of building new for at least another 3 years.

So basically they lose out on my money.

Mine too......And for the same reasons...

Well I am loving my 7800GS and it is currently running on a 330 watt power supply. I am not advocating this in any way and I have a new PSU on the way and will install it and soon as it gets here but it says a lot about the card (or the PSU I have lol)

Blue Falcon said:

Wow, that's a definate buy for me if that's true. I've been eyeing an X1600 with 512 megs of RAM, but a card that updated would be great for me, especially since I don't plan on actually getting this card til January.

IT'S ON NEWEGG!!!

THE XFX VERSIONS ARE AVAILABLE AS OF YESTERDAY OR THE DAY BEFORE!!!

I feel like it's my birthday and I just got the gift I've always wanted!!!

JimmyChunX said:
IT'S ON NEWEGG!!!

THE XFX VERSIONS ARE AVAILABLE AS OF YESTERDAY OR THE DAY BEFORE!!!

I feel like it's my birthday and I just got the gift I've always wanted!!!

Care to give us a link? The best ATI AGP card I can find there is still the x1600.

oh yeah... sorry... I did mean the agp 7600gt's by XFX...

however sadly... they're already sold out... and for some idiotic reason I thought that being able to stop my car (my brake pads are completely wore out) took priority over getting this card and I'd get the card next week. What a stupid thought that was...

Gatticus said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/26/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money/page7.html

And while it's safe to say that the best AGP card available for over $200 is the 7800 GS, it is very difficult to recommend it at a price point of over $240 because at stock clock speeds it performs similarly to the 7600 GT AGP, which costs much less.

Getting an AGP card at this point is just not smart.

For instance, just going off newegg, they have the cheapest 7800GS agp for $200 after $30 rebate. Go PCI-E and you can get an X1900GT for $5 cheaper with no rebate that will be signifigantly faster, especially in higher resolutions with AA, AF, and/or HDR. Or you could pick up a 7900GS w/o rebate if nvidia is your thing.

Hell, it would be smarter to get a 7600GT PCI-E for around $150 and a motherboard than spending $230 for an AGP 7800GS. It would be similar performance while opening up an upgrade path.

Getting a PCI-E motherboard is not prohibitively expensive. These days it's just pointless to get an AGP card in the retail market and pay the mark-up. The only AGP cards to consider are ones in the used market.

nigerian_businessman said:

For instance, just going off newegg, they have the cheapest 7800GS agp for $200 after $30 rebate. Go PCI-E and you can get an X1900GT for $5 cheaper with no rebate that will be signifigantly faster, especially in higher resolutions with AA, AF, and/or HDR. Or you could pick up a 7900GS w/o rebate if nvidia is your thing.

Hell, it would be smarter to get a 7600GT PCI-E for around $150 and a motherboard than spending $230 for an AGP 7800GS. It would be similar performance while opening up an upgrade path.

Getting a PCI-E motherboard is not prohibitively expensive. These days it's just pointless to get an AGP card in the retail market and pay the mark-up. The only AGP cards to consider are ones in the used market.

I beg to disagree. Getting an AGP card is a good way to breathe new life into an aging system.

No, motherboards aren't too awfully expensive, heck at $130 a new mobo is close to the price of a new vid card. You fail to mention though in many cases with a new mobo you will need a new CPU ($100), new memory ($150) and possibly even a new power supply ($60). I'm assuming that you would bring across any PCI cards you hd (WiFi, FireWire, etc) and hard drives, however someone may want to get rid of their old IDE drive for a spiffy new SATA drive.

For older systems, it's much easier to milk another year or two of life out of them by purchasing an end-of-the-road AGP card, with top performance in it's line, than ripping the mobo out and starting anew.

nigerian_businessman said:

yea...

100-200 for a new motherboard
100-200 for a new cpu
100-400 for new ram

and then you got a comp ready for a new computer...

so basically 500'ish for quality components and then you get to buy the pci-e video card....

real cost effective for a 5-10% gain...

Back