Whats the most difficult game you've played?

RyanH

Limp Gawd
I'd like to hear what all of you think are some of the hardest games you've ever played. I'm talking about single player games but I guess that could include coop as well. I've played quite a few games this past year and have noticed that in general games from 10 or so years ago are noticably more difficult then todays games. Anyways the game that I really had trouble playing with was System Shock 2. I actually had to cheat alittle and give myself extra ammo at the end because I couldnt ration it well enough, and the way the enemies keep respawning made you think before backtracking to earlier parts of the game. I really can't think of any recent game thats been hard to get through I mean timewise, mostly because the autosaves happen all the time so even if I do get to a difficult part I can start again right where i left off. Anyways I hope to get some good responses I'm getting tired of all these super easy single player games.

Ninja Gaiden on NES. Although Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was hard, it has save points. The NES version did not.

Contra is another example.

metal gear solid 2 (didn't know what the hell to do at the end when you're stuck in the tunnels naked)

TMNT for NES (couldn't beat the technodrome level)

actually, now that I think about it, 80% of NES games are pretty much impossible by todays standards lol

edit: A friend of mine has a NES game from the mid 80's, created by square. It's got to be the hardest and shittiest game ever made.

edit2: it's called kings knight... I invite anyone to try it lol

Last edited:
The original Alien Vs. Predator. Almost impossible to win, even on normal. I tried for a long time before giving up. Just not enough ammo to get the job done.

original dmc3 was hard
but if i had to choose from recent title
demon's soul raped me hard

Peggle

Seriously, hard? Have to think. The first time I played Metroid. Took me days to find my way around because everything looked the same.

Think this has been done a few times before.

Hell Fire and target earth for the Geneses both quite hard, and Target earth I think is un beatable without cheats.

Target Earth Sega Genesis. The only game i have ever had to cheat to win. My personal vote for hardest game ever.

There are a lot of older fps games that had boss battles of the old-school NES-style impossible variety.

One called "Requiem: Avenging Angel" comes to mind as having some of the most ridiculously impossible boss battles in my memory. I remember having to cheat like crazy on a particular one, and still not being able to beat it on my first several attempts.

Also, to a lesser extent, the end boss of HL1 is really hard. There are plenty others in the older FPS genre that have near-impossible boss battles.

Many of the old school NES/SNES games were rough, but what first comes to mind is Battletoads.

I just got out of a starcraft game with 2v6 computers in insane mode. I have to tell you that was probably one of the hardest games I've ever played! Holy shit they just don't stop coming :(. Couldn't finish it. Me and my buddy started killed off one but couldn't even touch the second after an hour.

Many of the old school NES/SNES games were rough, but what first comes to mind is Battletoads.

When I was a kid, I considered finding the coders responsible for that game and garroting them with a controller cable.

One called "Requiem: Avenging Angel" comes to mind as having some of the most ridiculously impossible boss battles in my memory. I remember having to cheat like crazy on a particular one, and still not being able to beat it on my first several attempts.

^^^ that was the first game i played with a dedicated graphics card. MAN was i blown away. been geekin'-out to computer games ever since.

like others have said the most difficult games come from the NES era. TMNT, Contra, and Double Dragon II were all difficult for me.

more recently, i found Tom Clancy's Raven Shield pretty difficult.

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) on the hard difficulty is quite possibly the most frustrating thing I've ever played.

Also, CoD4 on veteran can be quite bad as well...I can't tell you how many times I would die, reload from the checkpoint, and immediately die again w/o even moving.

having played both TMNT for the NES and Target Earth for the Sega genesis. Target Earth is not only harder it's much harder. I still remember the original review from EGM. Under difficulty rating they listed "impossible".

Another vote here for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) on the old NES. Never got past the dam level.

Something more recent:

Hitman 2 --> Getting 'Silent Assasin' Rating on every level on hardest difficulty.

I doubt many achieved that. I wouldn't say it's that hard per se, but you have to maintain a strict level of control for 30+ mins literally not putting a single foot wrong in order to get the coverted SA rating. In addition, some levels were buggy, and in one in particular you could do everything right but find out that an enemy truck had run over an enemy troop and you'd lost your rating due to collateral. To make it worse, you'd only know this had happened after finishing the level and looking at the stats, by which time you couldn't go back to a previous save to redo the end bit where the problem occurs. Further, on hardest you dont get any mid level save games. You do get given some on the longest levels though.

Even so, it's bloody tough.

It takes twice as long for me too as the first 'retry' of any given failed level is not spent sneaking around properly as before but spent mercilessly killing every man, woman, and child on the level (especially whichever fucker ruined your last attempt) till everything feels 'right' again in the world. :p:D

TMNT on the NES
Mike Tysons : Punchout (damn you super macho man)
and the original Metal Gear on the NES

I recall that The Ancient Art Of War, released in 1984, was reputed to have one of the most difficult-to-beat AIs ever in a computer game. I don't know if that still holds true, but it's pretty clear that AI development for computer gaming has been lacking.

Total Annihilation has some good player-made AIs. Playing The Valley Of Death map against seven Queller TA & CC v16 AIs would probably be very difficult.

Men of War

True. Even on easy, some missions take me a dozen or more tires. Even with the trainer, the game is hella hard. But its one of the best RTS games I have played.

Oni for the ps2. was the 1st game i got and i played it for 3 months and couldnt beat 1 part 20min in. I cried myself to sleep some nights.

not so much as difficulty per se', but my heart palpitation is sometimes off the charts on:
DOOM3
F.E.A.R.

Far Cry on the hardest difficulty without AI balancing. I almost finished the game, but only got half-way through the last level (and it was hell until then).

Leaving off the games like Battletoads, TMNT, etc. (ET for Atari, anyone??), the hardest game that I actually bought (I owned NES Marble Madness but hated it) was Final Fantasy Tactics. I could always reach a point and then just stop. The whole "enemies level as you do" thing was my undoing. I do have fond memories of the opening cinematic though....

battletoads.
Fuck. That. Game.

You KNOW.

Dude.
Fuck. That. Game.

I was gonna say Gradius 3, but nah man..... Fuck Battletoads. I wanna punch shit playing that game. Fuckin thinking about it makes me want to punch shit...

Fuck.

I need a cigerette........

Back