What's the low down on Bitlocker?

pizza

Limp Gawd
For those of you with Vista Ultimate do you use it? Is it really uncrackable? I might be doing a fresh install again soon and I was wondering if it's worth turning on? Does having your drive encrypted interfere at all with anything?

For those of you with Vista Ultimate do you use it? Is it really uncrackable? I might be doing a fresh install again soon and I was wondering if it's worth turning on? Does having your drive encrypted interfere at all with anything?

The only two reasons you would use Bitlocker:

- Your computer has valuble information that you can't afford to lose - credit card lists, business information, engineering designs, etc

- You're dual booting XP and don't want to lose restore points and previous versions in your Vista volume.

The real downside to Bitlocker is that that the volume become unreadable by all the usual tools, so if you ever needed to recover files from a bad disk you're pretty much screwed.

And, yeah, for all practical purposes Bitlocker is unbreakable. There are schemes that involve removing memory chips and searching for keys, but you can configure Bitlocker against that so I wouldn't worry much about it.

The only two reasons you would use Bitlocker:

- Your computer has valuble information that you can't afford to lose - credit card lists, business information, engineering designs, etc

- You're dual booting XP and don't want to lose restore points and previous versions in your Vista volume.

The real downside to Bitlocker is that that the volume become unreadable by all the usual tools, so if you ever needed to recover files from a bad disk you're pretty much screwed.

And, yeah, for all practical purposes Bitlocker is unbreakable. There are schemes that involve removing memory chips and searching for keys, but you can configure Bitlocker against that so I wouldn't worry much about it.

or.. you can just use truecrypt on vista or XP, be able to get your info back by just putting it in an external or another computer and mounting it through truecrypt. get better encryption.. and safer computing.

Well, the idea is that encrypting the entire drive through Bitlocker is more secure because you don't run the risk of there being sensitive information outside your TrueCrypt drive (e.g. in temp files, or by carelessness). However, it's really only designed for businesses who have employees who regularly leave their laptop behind on trains, not for home users who want to keep some files secure - something like TrueCrypt would be fine for that. Recovery isn't a priority for Bitlocker - usually the information getting into unauthorised hands would be worse than losing the data, as anything important really ought to be on the company network.

+1 for truecrypt. If you want to pay money then i would go with this DriveCrypt from germany.

DriveCrypt They have another product that also encrypts the whole partition. However, I am not sure how much of an impact this would make on your I/O for the computer. Would playing Team Fortress 2 be impacted on a encrypted drive. I don't know.

+1 for truecrypt. If you want to pay money then i would go with this DriveCrypt from germany.

DriveCrypt They have another product that also encrypts the whole partition. However, I am not sure how much of an impact this would make on your I/O for the computer. Would playing Team Fortress 2 be impacted on a encrypted drive. I don't know.

truecrypt is free.

encrypts your entire drive including the OS booting EXCEPT for the truecrypt bootloader.

can hide partitions from being seen unless the right password is used.

does 1 pass,m 7 pass, or 35 pass wipe before encrypting.

truecrypt does not support a way for any group or individual to break its encryption.

their encryption is random based on you moving your mpuse in the install box.. which is fun.

we being whom?

you workin for the nsa? why didnt you give them a Matt Damon speech and went home instead?

do you like them apples???

Back