What's the GPU future looking like?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
I'm getting an itch for an upgrade here. I know my card is not bad at all, but I can't get SLI so that's out of the question. What cards are coming up this year, any talk? I'm almost tempted to sell my card and get 2 4870's but I feel I'd be better off waiting until the new chips come out so I don't have to deal with all the problems of SLI and XFIRE.

Nothing even remotely interesting until Q3/Q4... and then it's all speculation, rampant hope and pipedreams. Welcome to the now -- it sucks here.

The now does suck. It's really just a bunch of rehashes of old GT200 and G92 chips. I'm getting tired of it.

I got a pair of 4890s. Going to take a break from Nvidia until they come up with something well and truly worth bothering with again.

I like the 260 and 280 gtx. I still think 2 260's in sli is the best bang for the buck. I almost thought about switching motherboards for certain reason; looked into a 4870 X2 and I can't beleive they are still around $400 to $500 bucks. WTF!

Honestly, I do regret not getting an SLI capable motherboard. This mobo is fantastic in every aspect except that I can't run SLI.

Trust me, the 680is were shit all around, horribly unreliable and useless when trying to OC a quad core (I owned 5, in various flavors), and the 780is were hit and miss. I finally got a "good" one... but I got 2 bad ones first. 790is had data corruption issues for a long time, were insanely overpriced (still are), and use DDR3... which is pointless on the Core 2 platform since I offers zero performance gain and until recently drove the cost of a system up $200+ easy. A friend gave me his about a year ago and I sold it rather than spend what it would've cost at the time to get RAM for the thing.

You may not realize, but you're glad you skipped out on the last couple generations of Nvidia chipset Intel motherboards.

All that said, my 780i is for sale. It's an XFX, it has lifetime warranty, and it's proven not to be a flaming hunk of shit... so I guess that's an option right? ;)

Last edited:
Well by the time I upgrade, I'm hoping there will be some awesome Software to go with the awesome Hardware. But for the mean time I think the upcoming games I have to look forward to are:

F1 Championship
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Rage
Project Offset

The only game then that might be overwhelmingly taxing GPU wise would probably Project Offset. Though I guess if I did also get those 3D glasses and a 120Hz lcd then all that future power would be put to good use.

So far there isn't any new games out there that would make games rush out to buy the latest and greatest card, so I guess its understandable that these GPU makers are reluctant to roll out newer hardware as quick as they used to

Dragon Age: Origins should be cool, but I doubt it will push graphics too hard.

Also Alan Wake, if it is ever released.

The 750I ftw boards were stable and great overclockers. Probably more stable and reliable than any of the 680,780 or 790 garbage imo.

Back